The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lads, to me this is part of the tackle. My camera gave up the ghost on a trip to cork over the past 3 days. By the time I was coming home the screen had stopped working. I need a waterproof camera and fast. Anybody any tips? Willing to spend some money on it. Ideally it wil be compact type style that will go into my wading jacket and won't mind the odd dip and wet fingers.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The reports and pics I have published recently have been with the HITACHI HDC-88WE 8MP WATERPROOF CAMERA bought from Argos Clearance on FleaBay. Waterproof to 10m and lots of features on much dearer cameras for £63.99. I'm happy so far! Video isn't the highest spec but the stills are good and it's pretty robust.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lads, to me this is part of the tackle. My camera gave up the ghost on a trip to cork over the past 3 days. By the time I was coming home the screen had stopped working. I need a waterproof camera and fast. Anybody any tips? Willing to spend some money on it. Ideally it wil be compact type style that will go into my wading jacket and won't mind the odd dip and wet fingers.
Hi colm,

I have one of these(not in pink though haha), Great camera no complaints 10 mp great pic quality and pretty funky looking unlike some wp cameras. My brother bought one then after me and again no problems.

http://digital.fujifilm.ie/cameras/slim-compact/Z33WP

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Colm,
I did the same to my camera last year fishing at Fethard. I went for the Canon Powershot D10. Plenty of underwater videos on You Tube if you want to check the quality. Water killed my last camera so didn't want it to happen again, this is good to 33 feet so can be used for scuba or snorkelling. All the cameras previously mentioned are in the same sort of class and all take great videos...Have a look at them you won't go wrong with any of them they are all great quality...

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Tim whats the macro like on your hitachi,the stills are impressive.Im a bit clumsy to buy a pricey bit of kit.im lookin for a waterproof camera around 100+ quid mark that has good stills and capable of decent close ups.cheers daz

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Tim whats the macro like on your hitachi,the stills are impressive.Im a bit clumsy to buy a pricey bit of kit.im lookin for a waterproof camera around 100+ quid mark that has good stills and capable of decent close ups.cheers daz
Daz, the Macro is pretty good and easy to access. To be honest it has plenty of features, programs and the ability to go manual on pretty much everything. I am not much of a photographer so need a pretty foolproof camera and this is close to that. I never considered Hitachi when it comes to camera equipment but for the money I have no complaints about this one. I am sure it is capable of much better photos than I have managed so far - hard to be experiementing when you have a fish out of the water though!
I think they are all pretty fair though Daz.

·
Registered
297 Posts
i have an olympus 850SW mju
3 years old now but very good
newer models are supposed to be better
hasn't missed a beat and the in-camera panoramic function is nice

Nick

·
Registered
323 Posts
don't know how much they cost over there but my OLYMPUS u725sw is still going strong only 7.1 mp but good pics and take a bit of water bashing

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good thread this! I am into photography a lot, but dont have a compact and am sick of carrying around my Nikon SLR. I had never even thought about those waterproof cameras until I saw this thread. I think I will have to get one now, cheers folks!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Good thread this! I am into photography a lot, but dont have a compact and am sick of carrying around my Nikon SLR. I had never even thought about those waterproof cameras until I saw this thread. I think I will have to get one now, cheers folks!
Wouldn't want to ruin that Dean that would be expensive!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wouldn't want to ruin that Dean that would be expensive!!!
Its a bit bashed anyway, I use it for my underground caving photography, but I dont like the idea of salty sea water getting into it Trev.

I used to have a small compact but it was the type where the lens extended out when it was switched on. I found that sand worked its way round the lens tube and it wouldn't extend anymore. I need a compact camera that doesn't have those retractable lenses, I assume a waterproof camera wouldn't? Will definitely look into it as I hate going fishing without a camera.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Dean,
The two upper range cameras appear to be the Lumix and the Canon, both are not just water proof but can be used underwater. They are dust, dirt, water & shock proof. The D10 which I have has the lense encased inside the water proof body of the camera so no moving parts are exposed. I guess that's the same with the Lumix. There's lots of videos for both on You tube. Only had it a couple of weeks but have used it at a fishing match and on a visit to Fountans Abbey and it takes great pic's. No trouble so far.

Reactions: Dean Allison

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
No Daz. The only slight negative from the review sites is the size. It is a little bigger than normal cameras and particularly the Lumix but that's because of waterproofing I guess and in their defence Canon suggest when it is used for sporting activities you don't want small fiddly buttons etc if your fingers are cold and wet. It certainly doesn't put me off. The camera does do a lot of things although I suspect talking to Simon Lewis that the Lumix does at least as much if not more. However they are set out fairly easily in the menus so no more complicated than a normal camera but with the added bonus of being able to take it anywhere.......

PS The accessories kit with lanyards and covers allows the camera to be attached in any number of ways to the body . The camera has four fixing points one at each corners and clips from the lanyards can be fixed to each. Might be handy for caving...you never know look for the accessories pack...not cheap at £99 but look worth it for the flexibilty of use it gives...

·
Registered
129 Posts
A compact wp camera is one of those things you wont regret buying dean. I have used my fuji z33 underwater and its great and then when I get home give it a quick rinse under the tap.The reason I bought it originally was to use when kayak fishing.Its great not having to worry about the camera getting wet when releasing fish etc.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I too loved my Olympus MJU 720 until it was nicked in Mexico.

So I bought the newest one the 8010 and it's even better.

14Mp, 10m waterproof, HD video etc.

I read some boffin comparison on the net and the Panasonic came out top for pic quality closely followed by this one, so I decided better the devil you know.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The canon D10 used by some of the worlds leading surf photographers as a backup camera cant get a better review than that in my books

1 - 20 of 25 Posts