The Lure Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like to start a thread on web tech really.

I know there are some tech heads on here that might be able to simplify this stuff but, here goes.

I know forums are a great resource but, so are blogs.

I have an RSS reader that updates all my favoured blogs automatically like a news feed.
Who else does this.

I was reading Henry Gilbeys blog and noticed he feeds RSS into facebook. I followed that up and did the same. Great idea really.

I wonder if all these resources could be piped together...

forum feeds, emails, blogs, facebook, etc

There really are some great bloggers out there doing fishing sites. I pick up some very valuable stuff via these resources.

You can subscribe to the feeds with various browsers but I wonder how many people actually do that ?

I think a 'How to' RSS feed article and combining resources thread might be in order.

There, I've started it....

Ben ?, Anyone else...

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Are you on FB Keith?

The whole "internet" thing is immense - tried to explain to my Grandad how the internet works and put together - I failed.

RSS feeds are definately useful - FB is being used as medium more and more and is getting more powerful by the month ...

I have worked in the industry for over 15 years now and it still amazes me - even to the point of will I still have a job in 5 years time - it moves that fast!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
For about the past 2 years I've been close to building something that will do it all for us, and more. It's a huge project though obviously (hence my continuous claims that it'll be ready 'soon'). Truth is though, it's so huge and has taken so long that the things I do have actually improved since I started it - so it's in an unfortunate state of developing without actually being useable. The shop has kicked that in the teeth for a little while though. I am HATING the fact that I have to continue doing other web work (for clients) at the momentand being unable to finish the LureFish site is another reason for that.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Ben - just think of the "dayjob" as something to fallback on - I am still mulling over the idea of radically changing and "doing" something in fishing but will still use IT as a fallback ... at the end of the day I still have a mortgage and dependants (err wife and dog!) that rely on me ... it takes real balls to commit and take that chance ... but if you don't you will never know ...

Back on topic - blogs, facebook, forums ... dare I say twitter will all feature going forward ... automatic tweets with GPS everytime you go out for a session going a step too far?

whats next?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi Keith,

Been using RSS a lot recently, mainly for work related technology websites. I use google reader and sync that to my Android phone with an app called newsrob. I can then read the stories whenever i get time from my phone.

Several fishing blogs keep me happy, including yours and henry's :)

There are lots of really cool things I think technology can help us with, but like Ben the day job is keeping me way to busy from developing something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts