The Lure Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was down in North Devon for the weekend so new rod in hand (8ft Teklon), plus various bits of newly purchased hard and soft plastic I thought i’d get in a few hours of fishing.

Arrived at Westward Ho on Sat around midday, low tide, no clouds and sun high in the sky, lovely day but perhaps a little bright I thought. A few guys out baitfishing on the rocks. Decided to leave it until later in the day for the light to fade a bit so went for a drive and explore down the coast around Bucks Mills.

Headed back around early evening to check out the estuary. Drove all the way to the end of Burrows Lane, then walked across to a beach with loads of grey boulders/rocks. Tide still coming in so quite a bit of flow to the water so followed the waterline round a bit and positioned myself a bit behind the point, looking out towards Appledore. Looked quite fishy with some nice currents converging. Tried a whole bunch of stuff for the next couple of hours including a couple of surface lures (z claw and ima skimmer), some weighted shads, xlayers with light jigheads bounced over the boulders (lost one xlayer), all to no avail. Was one other guy there, appeared to be baitfishing, didn’t see him catch either.

Packed up and left just as the sun went down, all in all nice evening though and good to play with the new stuff and see it in action.

Got up this morning to find that the weather had turned, very overcast and a bit drizzly so thought I’d head back to the same spot. This time tide was about 3 hours down and was racing back out to sea. Estuary mouth now a lot narrower so walked down over the boulders to the waters edge and this time was a bit nearer to the estuary mouth, looking out across to crow point. While I was there a couple of guys turned up who were wading, appeared to be lure fishing which gave me some confidence that maybe at last I was in the right place at the right time. Tried same tactics as the night before only with the addition of a couple of slug-go’s but sadly another blank. Again great to try out these new techniques with the new Teklon rod...such a lovely rod, casts like a dream and a joy to hold.

So another blank to add to the list of many but looking on the bright side this was only my 2nd attempt this year, lol. “All the gear and no idea” seems rather appropriate at present and I am progressively becoming a subject of amusement for the wife.

·
Registered
647 Posts
“All the gear and no idea” seems rather appropriate at present and I am progressively becoming a subject of amusement for the wife.

Join the club

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report Paul, shame on the blank, same for me today but enjoyed a good 6 hours fishing, even blanks give you a chance to learn !

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Lovely report, Paul and good to get out and try all the new gear. It's tough fishing new marks at this time of year (I know from experience!) but it pays off and we are reaping the rewards of the early season blanks now with the knowledge gained. Stick at it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts