The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the continuing spirit of Welsh Mini-Bumbles, a posse of intrepid Croc Hunters set off for deepest-darkest West Wales this morning. The Welsh Champion Croc Wrestling Team consisted of me & Luke, Iestyn, Steve & Adam, Tim & George - a fine group!!

Iestyn was armed with a deadly bucket of the most bizarre lures that i have ever witnessed, along with full camo . . . which frankly made him difficult to spot at times today !!! Tim & George were fresh off the back of their success last week, whilst Luke & I, along with Steve & Adam were the rookies of the group with no Crocs under our belts.

The weather was glorious today, with the early showers soon dissipating to leave us dry & warm. The early going was hard, with the generally recognised hot-spots not producing the goods. We watched in awe as Iestyn sent his Rampant Rat into the thick of the bank-side cover, with an accuracy that can only be described as spectacular !! Iestyn also managed to move a few fish in an area that produced some impressive results later in the day.

After a couple of unproductive hours, i switched to the Injection, along with a 6g lure i'd picked up specifically for the rod. I was targetting Perch, whilst quietly wishing that something bigger might take a lunge :wink:. I was mimicking Iestyn's precision aiming, firing the lures into the danger zones along the bank, when whilst retrieving i got hit . . . . this was no Perch !!!! The Injection bent into a Croc, and it was game-on !!! My lightly-set drag was singing as the fish made several strong runs, and i had to eventually clamp the drag down a little more on the Rarenium and start to exert some additional pressure. Her head lifted, and she was guided into the waiting net . . . . . . . . . . and here we have the fish that christened my Injection . . . . . a double-figure Croc . . . .

At 10lbs it was my very first Croc, and a fabulous experience on the light gear.

We continued, and Tim & George headed off to explore pegs further around the lake. I switched to the Supermix and a hybrid hard / soft lure, with a stunning wiggling tail. After some more precision casting :wink: i got hit hard !!!! Game-on again !!!! The Supermix bent into a very spirited Croc, this one smaller than the last. After a few good runs, Iestyn expertly chinned this guy out for me . . . .

He was around the 5lb mark, and had nailed my lure hard !!! He was again returned gently by Iestyn.

We fished on, and Iestyn got hit, but the fish surfaced, thrashed his head, and managed to throw the hooks. Shortly afterwards he had a crack-off on his beloved Rat. But, not to be beaten, he got his second rod, and on his very first cast, hooked his lure out in the middle of the lake and reeled it in !!! What a cast !!! Infact, Iestyn's casting all day was just ridiculous & completely fearless.

Iestyn had been working one particular area under some overhanging trees, convinced that there must be some Crocs lurking. He eventually decided to try a different area, and i moved into his spot and cheekily told him that i would pull something out of there straight away . . . . . well on my second cast, as the lure came in to my feet, i was just about to shout to the guys that i had a follow, when the follow became a take !!! FISH-ON !!! & this was a proper Croc !! One deep hard run that had the Supermix bent over, and then 'Steve Quick-Net Lewis' bent over the small wall and scooped her out of the water . . . . . . .. . this was a beauty, and bottomed-out my 15lb Boga !!! Following a Stewards Enquiry, we agreed on an estimated weight of 18lb. . . .. . . my new pb . . .

Absolutley delighted.

So we carried on, but our little group didnt manage to bank any more Crocs, so we headed back to the car, and met up with Tim & George. They also had tales of Crocs to tell, and i'm sure that Tim will be along shortly to share his success.

So, yet another belting day in first-class company. We had an absolute scream with many very funny moments. Thank you gents for another memorable day !!!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Cracking report Simon and I was so glad I was there to witness that fabulous Croc, Adam and I blanked but still had a brilliant day ! Iesytn's casting was something to admire and he shared his knowledge with us, Super guy ! Another brilliant meet, super company and roll on the next one !!!!!!!!!!

Cracking effort Simon, well done.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Well done Simon, cracking Pike, and great pics too.
Wait until you try surface lures for summer pike!!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Simon,
That really is an astonishing first day on the pike - bloody well done you jammy wotsit. Better to be lucky than good, eh? Many thanks to Iestyn for helping me & George after our various tackle losses :-o today. We couldn't get a hook-up in the recognised spots although George had a couple of follows. We had better luck the other side of the lake (where I caught last week) and I had three more on the red-head Crystal Minnow (now looking suitably battle-scarred). George had some more follows and his first pike on the bank, so well done to George who fished hard and with great concentration all day (it really was all day as well!). I won't try and steal Simon's thunder as he was the MAN today, but we weren't too shabby either! A few pics below of the four fish we managed between us. I'm calling the last one I caught as a double (because no-one can prove otherwise!). Not a long fish but plump!
Brillilant day with great guys and we loved it - right up until England lost to Ireland...

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice pics Tim, and even more impressive is the Cheesy Grin in that last pic :rofl:

Good angling by the Exiled Duo again !!!!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Super day again, Mike. Weather was very kind and although we had to work long and hard for the fish we did pretty good for a bunch of amateurs. It is a terrific place to fish and there are even bigger fish in there. Still can't get over Simon "Jammy" Lewis and his performance today - he is on a roll...

·
Registered
500 Posts
top fishing guys, well jealous that im not home to fish with you lot lol. sounds like a cracking day, even better england lost hey Si :p

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
That Jeremy is an entirely different story! (but thanks for noticing!). Is this pic a little more demure (and less of a cheesy grin?)? Same fish..

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow !!! Good spot Jezza !!!!! Tim - get the misses to check for bite marks !!!!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
top fishing guys, well jealous that im not home to fish with you lot lol. sounds like a cracking day, even better england lost hey Si :p
Oi, Ben! You can go off people you know...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
No need, Si - only lures, no live bait today. Water was deep and cold when I checked the hard way...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts