The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I'm up for it - just about any weekend will do for me !!! Wooooooo HHhooooooooo !!!!!

Looking forward to a Bosh @ Bosherston !!!!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Count me in. Where's Bosherston??

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Sounds cheap enough, Iestyn. I assume we also need an EA licence for the day? Will you be our "guide" (please!)?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I`ve never fished Bosherton myself Tim, I have walked around it several times with the FPO cursing that I wasnt allowed to take a rod with me! But I have "fluked" a fair few crocs over the last few years so must be doing something right!!!!lol. (been trying to upload a couple of pics from photobucket but cant get the bloody thing to work!!!!)

your quite right in saying an EA rod licence is required (if your over 12yrs old) for a one day licence the cost is £3.50

·
Registered
779 Posts
The water is absolute crystal clear there - also there wont be much lilly cover there at the moment (I guess) - plenty of reed beds to fish along mind.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Tom spot on with your assesment about water clarity and reed beds, as the lake itself is shallow with a max depth of 3.5m. there will be died back weed beds covering the majority of the lake floor. A better feature would be to find permanent structure (there are plenty at Bosherton) such as bridges, causeways, dam walls etc. Last time i was there in the summer there was a hell of alot of debris in the margins, mainly trees/logs etc all in a reasonable depth of water. The main body is split by the 7 arch bridge and is known as top lake and bottom lake (thats original!!!) prey fish are roach and perch mainly although the lake holds eels and tench also. Just something to consider when choosing your lure! Im waiting for some more info on the lake as my mate only sent a short e-mail.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nice fish, Iestyn - what did that weigh? I have a fairly "heavy" plugging rod in the Quantum Energy Bass - will this cut the mustard as far as the pike go do you think? Also, in terms of tackle, what sort of biting/wire trace would you suggest (i'll have to buy some before we go)?

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Count me and Adam in, we have both got Licences, so will have no issues there, very reasonable price to fish there as well. Have just had my Stella though today so can't wait to try it out :jump:

Looking forward to it already.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Nice fish, Iestyn - what did that weigh? I have a fairly "heavy" plugging rod in the Quantum Energy Bass - will this cut the mustard as far as the pike go do you think? Also, in terms of tackle, what sort of biting/wire trace would you suggest (i'll have to buy some before we go)?
Tim. If you've got a local tackle shop then buy some inexpensive standard Drennan 7 strand Pike Wire, 28lb is a good starter, some slim crimps to match, a pair of crimping pliers is a must, normal pliers won't do, most of your Bass clips will and swivels will be strong enough. 30lb braid tied to the swivel, 18" of trace direct to a clip.

Don't think buying the titanium wire will be of benefit as there's an art to crimping titanium, get it wrong and it'll slip or crush the wire till it breaks. Drennan soft strand is also good and inexpensive.

Just as a note: most pike wires are rated in lbs as you'd expect but thats the wire, once crimped (or knotted) they reduce in breaking strain quite a lot. They always find the weak point. Not that you shouldn't fear hooking a 20lb+ on any trace as you'll very unlikely snap it on a fish but snag up and you'll be praying your crimps hold out and your lure come back. :wink:

Have fun guys, we need pictures.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Tim, my local tackle shop sells ready-made traces for about a £1 each. I'll pick some up (i've already got a couple).

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Count me and Adam in, we have both got Licences, so will have no issues there, very reasonable price to fish there as well. Have just had my Stella though today so can't wait to try it out :jump:

Looking forward to it already.
Just watch when you cast steve !!!!!!!!! look out for lorries .......

1 - 20 of 77 Posts