The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well i'm completely knackered this morning, but in a nice way ;). Two days of fishing, in excellent company, with plenty of ground covered. A multitude of species were landed, and i think that many of the Bumblers accomplished 'firsts' in some way (first fish on an s/p, first Pike, etc . . . . ).

In total at the weekend, i think that around 22 or so Bumblers took part in our little Meet, and again, some had travelled HUGE distances to join in, and guys i hope you felt it was worth the effort !!

So, we kicked-off on Saturday morning. We met outside the pub, and with the filthy weather, and large swell, we decided to hit the Freshwater first. The Crocs were in a reasonably fiesty mood, and there were huge numbers of hits at lures !!! The hook-up rate left something to be desired, but i'll leave others elaborate on that ;) (eh Nath :-? :?:). But we had our moments of success. A first ever Croc for Nathy-Baby . . . .

One of the personal highlights of the session for me (other than seeing some of our new Bumblers bend into some fish) was hooking & landing a Croc of around 5lbs on my new LRF outfit. My Diaflash, which is rated at 0.6g - 7g was doubled over into the fish that seemed determined to get into some submerged branches!! In the end, teamwork prevailed, as Jon Bunyard kndly clambered down through the undergrowth to net the fish for me (thanks Jon :D).

The lakes are right next to the Coast, and when Nathan saw the beach, he proceeded to roll-around on his back in the sand, like a dog !!! He just couldnt resist a few chucks . .

Back in the lake, Nathan took a shine to a rubber frog in my armoury & set about moving just about every Croc on the lake, they were thrashing at his lure on every retrieve at one point, but it took a while to figure out how to make them stick . . .

Nath & i bumped into George at one point in the afternoon, and were amazed to see him pulling out a fish on just about every cast !! Superb angling again from him :clap:.

We stayed at the lakes far longer than planned (due to it being so much fun), so we were very glad to make it back to the pub that evening for some cracking food, some draught beer, and a general de-brief on the days events. Some were nursing war-wounds, and other were licking other types of wounds ;).

A very sociable evening then ensued, with my preference being the Marsdons Pedegree :p.

In the morning, a couple of the guys seemed to be nursing sore heads :cry:. We saw off some cooked breakfasts & bacon sandwiches, and Gwyn ran a very efficient raffle, with Trev yet again, cleaning up (closely followed by John Orrells). The net result though, is that we raised £85 for the Forum :D.

With far improved weather conditions, we then set-off in a few groups, & hit the Coast!! The first mark looked awesome, and although we had intended to fish there for Wrasse, the swell made that tricky, so we switched to Bass. The swell did catch a few of our Bumblers out though . . . . .

. . . and few were dry at the end of this session :p.

Nathan managed one Bass at this mark, and Mat also had a few follows (pics to follow from Nath perhaps :?:).

We then split into a couple of smaller groups again, and moved up the Coast. The little group that i was part of managed to find some cracking white-water, and quickly got into the fish. Mat set the pace here, with 2 Bass in quick succession, losing a better fish also.

I was having a bit of a stormer on the Pollock, nailing them both on my soft plastic (Xorus Rolling Stick) . . .

. . . and my Teaser . . .

. . . i even managed a double-shot . . .

There was a more impressive double-shot though, and i'll leave Nathan to tell that tale ;).

I also managed to winkle-out a couple of really large Mackerel . .

Trev then lost a good Bass just as he landed it, and Mat scored with his first ever Bass on an s/p (Xlayer).

I left it until my 'last cast' of the day to find a Bass, which fell to the Xlayer . . .

And that was that :D.

An awesome weekend in superb company. Laughs aplenty. Loads of fish landed. Lots of 'firsts'. Lessons learnt. New friendships spawned. Sounds like a Bumble !!!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Great report Simon, though have to wait till I get home to see the pics.

I am really going to try and make it to one of these welsh bumbles, they sound brilliant

·
Registered
340 Posts
Great report and what looks and sounds like a great bumble had by all - interesting mix of fresh and salt :)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Hey Simon great report - looks like I need to get my ass down there if Jon made it I have no excuse!
No excuses indeed - not coming down (I've been twice already this year) is simply bad angling.....

Seriously, you'll love it. You can even bring your dog down to stay at Wiseman's Bridge and let him walk on the beach by the hotel. The pike are fun, the perch better. The opportunity for Bass appears endless.........

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Si, I think your report has summarised the weekend extremely well and it was great to see some new faces as well as the regulars. The distances that some people travelled was amazing and I hope they had a great time. Bloo*y good work on those SPs Si - the commitment to stick with them is now delivering some excellent results. George & I split from the main group for the afternoon as he wanted to fish the fly in a new location and to be fair it paid off for him in numbers if not size - sounds like we needed to come with you guys for some better fish. Short video and a picture of George in his smart new Welsh Bumble T-Shirt (nice work on the clothing again, Si). We were blessed with much better conditions than the forecast had threatened and I think pretty much everyone had some fish, so until then next one - cheers!

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think Trev has the photos of the two bass on the same lure........ Si is my new hero! i learnt so much going to this meet, i cant begin to tell you how much. meeting up with the worlds best guys was fantastic.....everyone that has not been before really needs to get over there. will add photos later

·
Registered
843 Posts
Will see the pics later, great report. Cracking day on Saturday with plenty of banter. The Welsh weather added to the day. Good to meet you all again and see the smiles when those crocs hit.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Glad you had a good (long distance!) trip and found some fish, Nath. See you again next time??

·
Registered
991 Posts
Cracking report Si, to go with a top weekend full of action!

Really did have a great time, I personally had at least 2 firsts! I'll put up my report as soon as I can, or my body lets me! Wasnt too much fun draggin myself out of bed at 5 this morning for work after the 5 hour trip home, but the fishing and the company / friends made more than made up for it!!!!

Looking forward to showing you how to catch more Bass at Weymouth ;-) ;-) haha

All the best buddy, see you soon. Mat.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
George & I split from the main group for the afternoon as he wanted to fish the fly in a new location and to be fair it paid off for him in numbers if not size - sounds like we needed to come with you guys for some better fish. Short video and a picture of George in his smart new Welsh Bumble T-Shirt (nice work on the clothing again, Si).
Really nice vid & pics Tim & George. Some more variety to the weekend with you guys scoring on small s/p's & the Fly :clap:.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Really nice vid & pics Tim
Except where George changes the direction he wants to fish and almost puts the fly in my ear! I'll let George tell you about the seagull he caught off the top of a moored boat on his back-cast! Oh no - Ive done it for him ;)

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Except where George changes the direction he wants to fish and almost puts the fly in my ear! I'll let George tell you about the seagull he caught off the top of a moored boat on his back-cast! Oh no - Ive done it for him ;)
:rofl:

Nice one George :clap:.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cracking report Si, to go with a top weekend full of action!

Really did have a great time, I personally had at least 2 firsts! I'll put up my report as soon as I can, or my body lets me! Wasnt too much fun draggin myself out of bed at 5 this morning for work after the 5 hour trip home, but the fishing and the company / friends made more than made up for it!!!!

Looking forward to showing you how to catch more Bass at Weymouth ;-) ;-) haha

All the best buddy, see you soon. Mat.
Absolutely monumental effort by both you & Nath to come all that way !!! Just so glad that you got into the fish !!!

Really good to meet you, & i look forward to kicking your ass in Weymouth :rofl:.

;).

1 - 20 of 94 Posts