The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
....This morning and caught sweet F.A.

Shortly after getting to my chosen mark, in the cold darkness, I cast out none too far and heard an almighty splosh of water as the lure landed. Got my hopes up for the next hour or so as the daylight struggled to break thru the cloud. Then I got to see the cause of the splosh. A bloody great seal! Dont normally have them this close in where I was fishing. Didnt take long to find out why it had stayed and also why the gulls had been calling and hovering in the general area from first light. The seal was catching a half decent couple of pound fish every other dive. It would then "stand" in the water, feasting on its catch as I looked on with out so much as a sign of fish hitting my lure for the last few hours.

Anyway, I gave up the ghost about 7 and whilst walking climbing my way up the promenades sea wall, I trod on something extra slippery and started to fall in the general direction of landing on my rod and reel. So, as you do, I tried to twist and land in a less "expensive and heart breaking manner". I missed the rod thankfully, but the twist and jolt I shoved thru my back knocked the wind right out of me. A dog walker who'd stopped and chatted a few tiomes in the past, saw me going A over T and came over to help me get myself up. He apologised for laughing but he reckoned it looked so funny. I gave a half laugh of appreciation for his help and silently thought of a particularly derogatory term for him. Mind you, now that I am home, I have to admitt that if I had seen some other idiot do the same, then I would have laughed too.

Next bit of fun was trying to mount my pushbike. Looked a complete twat, I can tell you (dont think we have a "cripple" smiley, do we??) Finally managed to get on by almost laying the thing down and then have falling, half cocking my leg over the rest of it. Needless to say that once I got on it, I wasn't getting back off til I got home!

So, I think that after my coffee and a rest, I shall wash / wipe down my gear down and pack it away til end of Jan and the Bosherton meet.

:???:

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Thats just bad luck Andy , seals can and will turn up just about anywhere now days, if the food is getting more difficult to locate in their normal hunting grounds .

As for the slight slip up :rofl:reading your post my coffee nearly ended up on the pc , :-o and as for your moment of airobatics are you sure it was not the dog walkers mate that left you the suprise .. At least your kit survived the fall with nothing broken, a small bonus !!

Oh and don't give up & put the gear away yet keep at it mate .

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Remember Andy, broken bones repair themselves but expensive pieces of carbon do not. You did the right thing!

Hope you're OK!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, a couple of hours trying to sleep in the middle of the day and I decided to go out again this evening and fish the last couple of hiours of the flood in a little more civilized location. So much so that I didnt have to get off the bike to cast if I didnt want to. On the flip side of that is often its crammed with people meandering around, walking their hounds and just generally being a lure anglers nitemare by walking up behind you as you prepare to cast, and then ask that famous question... caught anyfin yet mate?? The place was relatively deserted this tho and that was a bonus. beautiful evening. Huge mega thick black clouds covering 270 degrees of the horizon, but th 90 that I was facing was clear as a bell and dead calm too :) At one point, there was one of the massive container ships leaving from Felixstowe dock and it just looked like a giant tidal wave coming up on the ship.

A fruitless evening, but when everything is this still, warm and peaceful, it dont really matter. The real enjoyment is being there and not being stuck in front of a tv on a Sunday afternoon / evening.

:)

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Hard luck on the fishing Andy. Especially the comedy tumbling act :D ;-) I won't be putting the lures away, perhaps you need to jump on the LRF wagon, great sport all winter!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Remember Andy, broken bones repair themselves but expensive pieces of carbon do not. You did the right thing!
Couldn't of put it better myself. Although, any time I fall, my rod seems to cop it!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thats a bit of bad luck for you Andy at least you didnt fall in any dogs muck!!lol.

Anyway was that seal eating Bass? Sounds like your still in with a chance of a nice fish or 2 or 3....

Good luck to you Andy reckon you are long due some.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks people.

Fishing like this is nothing new. Especially in the area I live. Roj will tell you how much this place has died in the last 20+ years. Consider too that I haven't had a fish since august-ish...

I have been thinking, Tim. What do I chase around here and where?
Whiting have turned up, but only from a couple of marks (shore wise). You need a boat to get into them really. Catching them from the piers or breakwaters end area will involve at least a 50 yd cast. After dark too if you are serious about catching anything.
I haven't found anyone who caught a flounder locally for the last two yrs or more, so close in fish simply are not there. It was 3 yrs for eels until a friend of mine hooked one on a bank, a couple of miles out to sea a few weeks ago. Finally, at low tide, now the waters cooling off, most of the rock pools contain little in the way of fish life either. I did find a few shrimps (about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long) in a pool a few days back tho. No blennies, eel pout, rockling or whatever tho. So the options on what to catch, al'a LRF, are decreasing rapidly. I would love someone who's really proficient at LRF to come spend a few weeks around here and see what they can winkle out of the water. It could open my eyes to a whole new ball game! In fact I would hope it would too. Altho deep down, I fear that whoever invested the time and effort would return home very disappointed with tthe results. Ironic that I bought myself a nice little 6ft carbon, light rod. 1000 size FS reel and a big spool of 8lb braid to play with too...

Matt, It was definitely yours truly who copped for the damage on that trip / slip. Today can be described as "uncomfortable", lol. Still, I heal for nothing. As you and Rob point out, the rods cost money!!

Ray, I dont reckon those fish were bass. I think they were probably whiting. Where that seal was swimming (except for when I first discovered it in the dark) was well out of my casting range with a lure. Also, the fish looked "all white" as opposed to black and white, like a bass would. It was certainly too far away for me to be able to say that it was eating anything that I coulld positively identify as anything beyond a "fish", lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts