1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
The double low Im guessing Alex ;)

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
The tide for Portland is influenced by both the tides east and west of Portland Bill. Which causes the staggered effect you can see in the chart. Also shows why getting to a mark on Portland at the right part of the tide is so important.

Reactions: Alex Jordan

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
The tide table shown is for "Portland" and is for an area inside Portland Harbour which has restrictions which causes the double effect. If you're going to fish off Portland itself, then I'd recommend you use the "Chesil Cove" tables.

·
1,866 Posts
The double low Im guessing Alex ;)
The only noticeable double lows in this area are in Poole Harbour. The Table that Alex has is for Portland Port. The Port is approximately 7 miles from Portland bill on the east side of the island. Therefore high tide should be slightly later at This point. It would also be different on the west side of the island, and the Fleet Lagoon is again totally different, but I will not go into that as its out of bounds in the competition. The point is the further you are from Portland bill or your point at which the tide times are given, the earlier or later the tide times will be.

The tides here are relatively small compared to other parts of the country. Spring tides here are 2 meters with a 2.3 to 2.5 being a monster tide. Neaps are around 1.1 meters. Lows can become a - 0.4 on springs with a neap being a 0.4.

The differences around the island are only around ten to fifteen minutes. But on spring tides these times will be shorter. Also remember that the tide continues to flood for between 2.5 to 3.5 hours after high tide. Then you have slack water before the tide turns and the ebb begins to flow.

I hope this helps.

Regards

·
Registered
779 Posts
Sorry Tom your wrong. The only noticeable double lows in this area are in Poole Harbour. The Table that Alex has is for Portland Port. The Port is approximately 7 miles from Portland bill on the east side of the island. Therefore high tide should be slightly later at This point. It would also be different on the west side of the island, and the Fleet Lagoon is again totally different, but I will not go into that as its out of bounds in the competition. The point is the further you are from Portland bill or your point at which the tide times are given, the earlier or later the tide times will be.

The tides here are relatively small compared to other parts of the country. Spring tides here are 2 meters with a 2.3 to 2.5 being a monster tide. Neaps are around 1.1 meters. Lows can become a - 0.4 on springs with a neap being a 0.4.

The differences around the island are only around ten to fifteen minutes. But on spring tides these times will be shorter. Also remember that the tide continues to flood for between 2.5 to 3.5 hours after high tide. Then you have slack water before the tide turns and the ebb begins to flow.

I hope this helps.

Regards
I stand corrected! :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
The only noticeable double lows in this area are in Poole Harbour. The Table that Alex has is for Portland Port. The Port is approximately 7 miles from Portland bill on the east side of the island. Therefore high tide should be slightly later at This point. It would also be different on the west side of the island, and the Fleet Lagoon is again totally different, but I will not go into that as its out of bounds in the competition.
What are the limits of the area that you can fish in for the comp?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Toby,
You get a map at the start, but last year it was roughly Abbotsbury to the end of Ringstead Bay (I think), might not be the same this year.

Reactions: Toby Harnett

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Cheers Dave. Just wanted to do a bit of research in advance of the comp. Will we be told in advance at all what the fishing area will be? Whatever research I do I am hoping that I can tag along with someone more experienced than I on the plugging front for some of the comp so that I can learn a bit. However considering that it's a comp with prizes at stake appreciate that this might not be on???

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The prize is in taking part,anything else is a bonus.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Toby,
Yes it is a competition, but is also a chance to meet up with other members of the board, and get out plugging.
Some guys will plug alone, some in their pairs, some in groups. But I am sure you will find someone to fish with. If you don't, give me a shout and I will see what I can arrange.

Reactions: Toby Harnett

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Cheers Dave. I'll roll up in the pub opposite Reels & Deals & take it from there.

Does anyone know if those that are camping are congregating on one campsite?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Toby,
Pebble Bank is normally the popular choice, 5 minutes from town, 15 minutes from Portland-decent showers too.
Just google it for details.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts