The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I managed to not catch a bass at the weekend. Had a few follows and a biggish bass all over my Gunnish at one point, but failed to hook any. No excuses, was in prime locations, used the loveliest of lures, concentrated and still managed a blank out of two days fishing (probably 12hrs fishing). I ha da few Pollack, one of them about 2lb, but nothing else. Ah there is always tomorrow eh.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Similar to me **** had multiple hits/bumps on the patchinko yesterday but didint take but had a whole shoal of bass for 15mins about 150yds off where I was standing hitting sandeel and just out of range but eventually took 2 schoolies on an SLD that goes like a rocket and just reached the outskirts of the feeding frenzy. Thank god for long range lures!!!

·
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank god for long range lures!!!
Nice one Luke, it is nice to hear about the harder trips too, and great to hear a plan coming together with the long range lure. It used to be awkward when the fish or a feature was out of range, I used to go for a metal spoon or something but now with the better casting of many modern lures we can keep on plugging :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I feel your pian **** i had two sessions maybe ten hours with a 1lb pollack to show for it :( but thats life the good days will be sweeter after the sour days :)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You are lucky **** in the last 4 trips i have travelled at least 2 hours to get to the venue and have not had a bass, that's 16 hours of driving with out a bass,and at least 24 hours fishing.
Time to take up golf.lol

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ha, thats nowt. I've put in about a hundred and twenty hours so far this year on the North East coast for one schoolie back in June. Luckily I've been over Scotland once a month and caught when I've been there otherwise I would be losing it a bit.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Well I managed to not catch a bass at the weekend. Had a few follows and a biggish bass all over my Gunnish at one point, but failed to hook any. No excuses, was in prime locations, used the loveliest of lures, concentrated and still managed a blank out of two days fishing (probably 12hrs fishing). I ha da few Pollack, one of them about 2lb, but nothing else. Ah there is always tomorrow eh.
That's why I warned everyone of the seemingly fishless SE late last week. It's been devoid of decent Bass, Pollack and even Mullet for 2 weeks.
At night, certain runs are alive with fish but picking the right one is a lottery at best.

Next New Moon set will bring fish. I can sense it.

·
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next New Moon set will bring fish. I can sense it.
I have a feeling too, dont know what it is but maybe its the light levels remind me of crazy times, or the fact there is millions of white bait in the small roads and harbour but there isnt much eating them (apart from alot of very happy Terns). I feel something brewing........

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I have a feeling too, dont know what it is but maybe its the light levels remind me of crazy times, or the fact there is millions of white bait in the small roads and harbour but there isnt much eating them (apart from alot of very happy Terns). I feel something brewing........
Ah the whitebait. Saw one or two (billion) last Sunday. Somethings definately going to kick off soon.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Fished twice in the last 2 days.
managed to lose a good Bass and take 1 lrf Rockfish on a tiny size 12 hook to a Reins rockvibe.

The fishing here right now is as hard as I've ever seen it from the shore.

Yes, there are patches of fish that will feed at optimum times but the small tides, wind swinging and heaping swell of the last 2 days has wrecked a couple of what should have been productive trips.

Only in the dying minutes did I risk going LRF in very rough ground and within seconds the rod doubled. I lost it. Next cast, another fish on...

Time to go home though.

Something weird is afoot with ALL the species shutting down.

I was reading about a toxic red algae bloom affecting local waters. Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've heard about this algae, not the ususal 'may water' it seems.

Lifted this from another forum,

I fish the hurds deep on a regular basis, however an alarming algae bloom has developed off the north west coast of guernsey, It is approximately 50 square miles and its northern edges are approximately 35 miles south of lizard point. It is so dense that you can not see further than 4 cm and appears to be browny yellow, at lttle like poo you might find in a baby's nappy. Does anybody know how deep this bloom goes to and what impact on cutting out the light to the sea bed some 120 m below? Does it kill fish at that depth. It has been sitting over this area for nearly three weeks and is still there.

I've read that it kills fish by removing the oxygen from the water, doesn't sound good :0(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ah! The Art of Blanking. I was a Pro back in the early part of this season until I went and see the Priest Ward who excised me by singing me a Blankers Shanty.
I have not blanked since! I have even doubled my PB.

So, guys don't just think of Mr Fish as some Tackle Tarts cave of lure fetish delights but also as the place to go for a spiritual enhancement.

"Your a blanker, your a blanker......." la la lar, la la lar

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I'm having no real problems catching Bass at the moment. The 'problem' lies in that not one of them is over 3lb!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
They're all waiting for me to get there tomorrow..... :lol:

Sooner or later something big will be gorging on them trapped in the harbour though surely? Interesting reading about you guys struggling at times over there, it's just as useful as reading about some of the great hauls you have.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts