The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed out today to a mark on Anglesey, the wind was a NW so not ideal for the particular mark but i thought i would give it a go anyway. On arrival at the mark there was a nice swell running creating plenty of white water.
I fished over HW but only had a 10" pollack for my efforts.

I decided to then head over to a lake which holds Pike and Perch, I have fished there a few times and only ever had one Jack, but I had only fished there over the colder months so maybe the warmer water might wake up some of the lunkers.

I clipped on a spinnerbait and put a 6" softplastic as a trailer, third cast and just as I was lifting the lure to recast everything went crazy!!! water splashing everywhere and what looked like the biggest pike I have seen in the flesh started peeling line off my reel, after a bit of a tussle I landed the fish it was 5 1/2 lb on the boga. my new PB As I was unhooking a passer by came to have a look and I asked him to take a pic on my mobile (hopefully I can get it off there, having technical probs with my mobile).

I then clipped on a zonk gateride yoro yoro to see if pike liked to eat them..... First cast and 5 foot out a pike slammed into the lure, It was more up for a fight than the first one and went 6 1/2 lb on the boga, smashing my newly gained PB!!!

Moving along the lake there was no more action, so I went back the the hotspot and thought I would try a little mepps type thing that I got off **** (mr fish) a while back (cant remember what he said it was called). second cast and I was into a nice little perch of about 8" in length - not caught one since I was a kid and that was tiny so another PB!! there were another 2 perch landed of about 6" in the following 5 minutes, then a pike took the lure and "snap" I hadnt used a wire leader!!! so I put the spinnerbait back on and managed to move another 2 Pike but both didnt get a hookup..

That was a great little session, gonna go back there with my softplastic setup and have a bash on the Perch with some little reins paddletails...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny you should say that!! Maelog was the venue, there seems to be a decent head of pike in there.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah, Parked on the road to the hotel, on the SE corner and walked to the first peg..

Definately worth a visit on the bumble Daz, Wonder what its like on a slightly calmer day using topwaters...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
What,s the score about going to the top where the small sluice gate next to the Gorse bushes ?
Someone told me that it,s out of bounds now for anglers....Is that true?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not as far as I know Gary.

I went into the shop in llanfaelog and got my permit,they told me I can fish the entire east bank with that permit, and that goes right up to the northern tip of the lake where you are talking about.
Im not sure where you get permits from for the other banks though, but if you have a kayak you can launch from the gap in the bulrushes in the middle of the southern bank and as you arent on any banks I dont think you would have to pay anyone!!!! so thats what i will be doing next time I go there :)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Nice one Fin C!
Great day out, I think that could be great for the bumble prospects.
Top waters could be great fun too.
See you there soon!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
nice one fin, i would use nothing but topwaters if i went there, the hits are awesome,they particularly like the small mag popper,but also had them on small chugbug and easywalker,( ok not at maelog but a crock is a crock ) would think twice about using expensive plugs as they get absolutely shredded !!! No wire trace?? tut tut, Daz , you look awfull !!! lol,and Fin, your phones probably sufferring from receiving a shock of some sort????

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bet the topwater action is great, looks like you can wade round the south of the lake where the bulrushes are, seems to be about 1m deep along the margin. there is alot of submerged weedbeds that make fishing shallow divers difficult. so either topwaters, or spinnerbaits or weedless softies are the lures of choice.

Just thought of a positive Trev, you can now fit into smaller parking spaces!!

my phone is knackered the bloody thing corrupted lastnight and I have lost all my numbers and the picture of the croc :(

Daz I rekon you had whiplash already from that rogue wave that sent you on your arse lol!!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
When i was plugging near penmon priory last week i met a chap who fishes for pike at maelog,he said he never pays as half of the lakes shore is free to fish anyway and i think the campsite section is where you have to get a ticket but he seemed to suggest that if you stay in the water and wade your way round the lake you dont need to pay, of course you do have to have an EA liscence. Wonder if that shop does a daily/weekly EA liscense as i dont have an annual one? he said theres some big doubles in there !!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Post office does day / week licences - but the yearly one is only £22 afaik.

Interesting about the wading, but it depends on how far the land ownners rights go. if the water level was higher / lower you would be on a different piece of land. I think the only way to be completely safe and not risk ****ing off anyone would be to go afloat... as then you arent physically on any land..

Earlier in the year I was there on the yak and a VERY big fish followed the lure almost up to the yak then turned away at the last minute (must have seen me) but It looked huge maybe 15-20lb...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts