The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GRXi's are now leaking. I may have a go at finding the leak, but im pretty sure that it's pouring through all over the shop. They havent seen a full seasons use.

So, has anyone had a good full seasons hard-wear out of a set of waders ? Any waders can be torn, but i am talking about the seams / materials holding up.

The Simms etc. . . seem a very large step up in price, but are they actually any better :?: If so, why :?:

Im gonna need to get some new ones soon - before Jersey next month.

·
Registered
741 Posts
After reading all the horror stories about breathable chesties costing hundreds of pounds shipping water after just a few wears I realise I have been very fortunate with my cheap set of £70 Rapalas. In their third year now, worn for fly fishing and plugging, have had dozens of outings and have kept perfectly leak free until this year when my feet got a bit damp due to the neoprene heels wearing thin. Couple of patches and a smear of adhesive, bone dry again!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
You do feel quiet refreshed in the greys grxi waders or mildly moist would be another way to describe things, there is more aqua shore on my waders than i care to remember buying..... the seems are a disaster.. willl be buying the cheaper g series shortly from what i have seen the are far better for the job....

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I got a pair of Scierra cc6's. They were £249 from Gary Evans. I was amazed at how well made they are. I have slithered down banks and rocks (not always on purpose and have been pretty impressed at their strength. You can wear them all day in total comfort, no sweats in the summer. They have great straps which you can adjust at the sides which bring them in nice and fitted so you dont have stacks of fabric flying around. But best of all by a long chalk is the full length zip down the front - No it doesn't leak but its a lifesaver when you you are all wrapped up in coats and fleece and youve drunk too much coffee. If I could afford them I'd get the Simms but for half the money these are at least 80% as good. Been wearing them now for 18 months (fly fishing as well so not full time hard core use) and although dirtier still as good as new.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Si my grxi have lasted since april but now have failed.Turned them inside out and filled them with water and its the seams.Apparently its the glue,it gets brittle and cracks.I have a back up pair of wychwood stocking foot that are 4 years old and there bloody awesome.Ive been offered the greys platinium breathables for 140 but im thinkin do they use the same glue in all there greys waders.Im going to do some homework first before i buy any more but one thing for sure they wont be over 150 quid......razorsharp barnacles and 400 quid waders...no way hoseh!
cheers daz.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Gary evans are doing the scierra cc6's for £149 at the moment

no smalls left tho :-(

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Si I use Simms, and although not heavily used, I have had no problems.

Why not get a new pair of your choice anyway, and then send your old ones off to get them properly repaired and then you have a spare pair?

www.wader-repair.co.uk

I think Dave is a member on here?

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Simon Simms waders are regarded by the industry as 'The Best' ,,,,,Cost a fortune but you get what you pay for and the size range is massive.
Check out the Sportfish sale at the moment.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Si, George's Scierra Aquatex Bootfoot waders failed in the same way - just seeping water all over and have been retired. I think I would opt for a pair that are 5 layer construction and that had some form of guarantee, so maybe Orvis are worth a look. I know there have been some threads on here about good deals to be had at their outlet store in Street, Somerset or their website. Apparently they have a no quibble returns policy. Less than one season is not good enough so I would avoid the Greys. One other thought - Iestyn has used his waders in some extreme conditions so his opinion is worth having too.
The waders I have bought from SiC have the front zip and it is a godsend (especially as I seem to have to pee more than most!) and totally leakproof - well worth considering.
One last note, the breathable pores on the wader material can get clogged with dirt & salt, so always wash them down properly in fresh water after use. George and I are now very disciplined on this last point.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
I have to say that my G series waders have lasted over a year now with ABSOLUTELY no leaking at all. Relatively cheap as far as waders go but durable. I have taken quite a few falls (Barry can vouch for this!!!) and not a mark or leak. I also fish most days so they have gotten good proper use over the year. An occasional hose down is all that is required. 10/10 from me for them anyway.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
You get what you pay for - I was very impressed with Steve's SC6's that I considered a pair myself but I have opted to send my Reddington's up to Diver Dave for repair - in fact if I bought a new pair he does testing and failure fix before you wear them!

£45 quid for new seams and a pressure test / fix is a bargain ... as long as you haven't ripped the ar*e out of them you may get another seasons wear ...

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
If my waders saw less than a season's use and started to leak (not through rips/tears, etc) they'd be sent straight back to the supplier for a refund. Where did you get them from and have you tried sending them back?

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Thing is with Simms waders they are American made (not far east,you know where I mean) and are individually tested and passed off,you even get the name of the person that did the testing and passed them off ets.
They are 'propper' GoreTex unlike the cheaper ones that are available.
Check out the Sportfish site as they are doing some great deals on Simms waders and the boots etc.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
My GRXi's are still going strong. Although I haven't worn them for quite a while. They did do 18 months straight (multiple sessions per day) with zero problems.

Reactions: Adrian

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
My GRXi's are still going strong. Although I haven't worn them for quite a while. They did do 18 months straight (multiple sessions per day) with zero problems.
That's good to hear Ben, i've just bought some and was beginning to get worried!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Can't go wrong with Simms G4's, as Nick says proper GoreTex Pro shell material and they are considered the best in the Fly fishing world.

From personal experience though, I've had my Orvis Pro Guide 2 waders that I got in San Francisco for a good few years now (about 7) and the only thing that gets wet in them is my sweaty feet from the Neoprene socks. No leaks...yet.
I was dead lucky as I got them on sale for $199 when the exchange rate at the time was almost 2 dollars to the pound, so yeah, Pro guide 2 waders for just over £100. They are about £300 over here and they have been fantastic.

Tough material but don't bother with the cheap orvis waders, after seeing them at the CLA I wasn't that impressed, quite flimsy by comparison, probably great for Trouting in rivers and resevoirs but I'd want tougher waders for Sea fishing on rocks.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well i went for a new pair of CC6's. Let's hope they do the biz !!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
At £149 a pair , I don't think you can go wrong. Your going to be well pleased. What boots are you going to wear with them?
I'm gonna stick with my Greys Platinums for now. They are looking a little battered, but should limp through until the end of the season.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
i have always favoured the snowbee prestige waders and have never ha any problems with them in fact if you go through there website at the end of the year you can grab a bargain with them in clearance stock.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts