The Lure Forums banner

what best way to use the patchinko

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Marq 
#1 · (Edited)
hi wondering how u guys use the patchinko ive tried it didnt seem to do anything special so like hear from your exploits with this lure thanks rod

#3 ·
Rod,
basically use a slow gentle WTD retrieve, as Marq said this will give you a nice zig zag retrieve. I had similar feelings when I first started to use this lure, until Bob (the patchinko master) put me right. I get 10x the hits working it slowly (so it DOESN'T splash), than I ever did working it faster.
Even more effective if you use it over shallow water, or at very first light. But I have caught in the middle of a sunny day, over 30' of water.
Both the larger and the smaller patchinko's are lures I wouldn't go fishing without.
Anymore questions please just ask

#4 ·
Yep, lovely lure, specially the little ones. Slowly wind and tap tap tap on the rod to make it dance across the surface and stop it dead! Leave it....leave it...resist the urge for a few more seconds, then twitch it. Pause....same again etc.

I took onboard the advice on these forums (mostly from Dave) and I'm no longer a patchinko virgin either :)
I wouldn't go without one now either.

#6 · (Edited)
Only thing I am not keen on with my Patchinko Frosty, is the way it sits butt end down in the water when I stop retrieving. Dunno whether this is a "designed" occurance accross the Patchinko range, or what. But to have the lure sit nigh on vertical at the surface with just 1/2 an inch of nose poking out of the water when the lure is stationary, just seems odd to me. Especially when all my other surface lures of various makes and models sit near enough horizontal on the water when they're not being retrieved.
Still, when my local fish decide to start eating plastic again and the wind decides to calm down a little, I'l get to see how well it works for me on my home patch. At the moment, they are refusing to play ball with anything.

#10 ·
They are suopposed to sit with just the head sticking out, and many surface lures do that. It is in fact a handy trick that it does it, as you can stop the lure on calm days and just twitch it to the horizontal and back again, another slow, lazy, big fish finding method. It is a method you can do with the Gunnish, Sammy and even the Feed Shallow+.

#12 · (Edited)
Drift it and twitch it in strong shallow current.
Got to agree with Keith on this one.....Found out that the stronger the tide and the splash of the lure on the surface is enough to get the Bass interested with the occasional twitch to encourage a take.

Look out for those tide rips & back eddy,s that you get of reefs and head lands....that,s where the Bass are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.