The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What braid complements a rod rated max 5 g, for general LRF outings. I have bought another light rod for some more LRF excursions. And wanted to know what others have been using and finding suitable. I am looking to purchase two BS.

Thanks

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have the fluorocarbon covered, just wanted to have a go with some lighter braids. What 0.3 or 0.4 keith?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
We use the Varivas Light Game stuff Mike. However, don't ignore the Trout PE's either in smaller spools. You only need a small spool as a top shot anyway. no more than 100 meters and that's way overkill but, unfortunately, needed on our reels as we don't have the luxury of genuine LRF spools on our reels that take exactly X amount of PE so, you'll need backing. Use very light backing, 4lb mono or something like and, keep the knot buried. Really bury the knot under a few coils of mono or you'll suffer with the line snatching. Even 100 meters of PE 0.3 is around 1mm thickness on a 3000 sized spool and casting becomes a nightmare with an exposed backing knot.

Of course, lots of really nice lines are suitable for LRF right upto and including 10lb PowerPro but, it's not really LRF proper. 0.3 can come in at 7lb so why go heavier ? It makes a massive difference in the 1 - 3.5g range (lure and weight inc) and in windy conditions too. Don't forget that thinner lines make these small lures fall really sweetly too. Hot knife through butter, so smooth...

Yamatoyo, Varivas, YGK etc all make very suitable LRF lines but IMHO, please don't exceed PE 0.6 in 8 strand as these can be 11lb or more. 0.6 in 4 strand might only be 6lb so be careful. However, exceeding 5 or 6lb with real LRF sticks isn't warranted as far as I'm concerned.

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks that pretty much covers that. I was kinda thinking that 4 -7 lb braid would be ideal.

·
Registered
323 Posts
fishing 1.5 -3.5 hb you could youse TORAY SALTLINE LIGHT FISH 0.3 IN 1.8 KG comes in 100mts only but you will need a 1000 1500 sise reel as to much backing will slow the line of the spool as you won't be casting any distance it is 4 wrap used on 1-2kilo rods it cost's $75 buks here and is quiet scary to use but is real LRF.

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive ordered some Varivas Light game, thanks for all the replys.

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will do just got to get the new reel sorted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is 10lb Fireline regarded as no good for lrf? I have had it years and it is still fine and seems really thin. What do most people use generally? I think i may need some PE braid once i work out what it is and where to get it. Lots of reading to do.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Alfie,
I started out using 10lb Power Pro Braid, it sort of worked, but it was a bit thick. But I got some 0.3PE Varivas Light Game braid from Nicola at MrFish. Super thin, 7lb breaking strain, knots well and so far no problems with wind knots. So seems good. But the real advantage is the level of contact it gives with the lure. You can feel every touch/bump/nibble on the lure. Worth every penny, and will up the number of bites and fish you get.
Alfie, posted a quick review of the Rovex reel in the Show and Tell thread in the lure section-Alot more reel than I was exspecting-a little cracker for £55.

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alfie,
I started out using 10lb Power Pro Braid, it sort of worked, but it was a bit thick. But I got some 0.3PE Varivas Light Game braid from Nicola at MrFish. Super thin, 7lb breaking strain, knots well and so far no problems with wind knots. So seems good. But the real advantage is the level of contact it gives with the lure. You can feel every touch/bump/nibble on the lure. Worth every penny, and will up the number of bites and fish you get.
Alfie, posted a quick review of the Rovex reel in the Show and Tell thread in the lure section-Alot more reel than I was exspecting-a little cracker for £55.
I agree there dave, the contact was very important to me. The first few trips out were non-starters, im sure you remember that session. Both really not geared up and wasnt it frustrating? never looked back since. Havent lost any of the braid yet either to be fair. Thumbs up for sure.

·
Banned
792 Posts
found gosen PE240 in 0.3PE=7lb and 0.4PE=8lb and will give it a try (share 240m spool with frinds).
And maybe this night game The MEBARU PE from Plat
No..No.0.3..No.0.4..No.0.6
lb... 3lb... 4lb... 6lb
kg... 1.5... 2.0... 3.0
Color : Yellow 150m Spool / 75m Marking

Its not a "real four strand" as plat just told me, its two raw thread and two ester raw thread, whatever that means for usage in mebaru fishing, what its designed for. Cheap as hell (under 30GBP shipped for 150m at plat) for mebaru braid line and a nice yellow color.

we will see.
Thomas

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Sorry to be a pain, just looked on the Mr Fish website and they dont seem to have any varivas light game braid. Does anyone know of anywhere else in the uk that does it? tried google and it came back with nothing.

cheers keir

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Keir,
Just give him a ring, He stocks the Light Game (blue) and the Area Trout (pink) both seem to be spot on in either 0.3 or 0.4PE, it just isn't on his website yet.

Reactions: Keir Sims

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
**** often has a lot more in stock than hits the website so well worth a call for anything you are after. Ben at Art of Fishing also has comprehensive stocks.

Reactions: Keir Sims

·
6,295 Posts
I only have the Varivas Pink 0.2PE in stock at the moment, just waiting for an order from Japan with some lovely stuff in, more of the Light Game Mebaru Braid and mono and fluro, plus some other shiney things I couldnt resist :) When they arrive I will put on my website instantly, the last lot didnt last long enough too be on there.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Thanks ****, sounds good. think i'll have to wait till i next get paid before i can afford the bits i want anyway so should work out perfect. i'll keep a close eye on your site!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts