The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my 0.23 Power Pro which I believe has a breaking strain of 20lb (thanks Vidar). I'll be using it with a Quantum Energy Bass 240 (15-50g) and a 7' Bushwhacker (10-30g). The reels that I will be using are an Exage 4000 and possibly a Cormoran 2500 or 3000. Plugs are the usual candidates: Tide Minnows (10-30g), Feed shallows, Patchinkos, Wedges etc.

What breaking strain should I use for general plugging for bass?

Which makes of braid are most suitable for a relative novice?

Many Thanks,
Tony.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I'm looking to replace my 0.23 Power Pro which I believe has a breaking strain of 20lb (thanks Vidar). I'll be using it with a Quantum Energy Bass 240 (15-50g) and a 7' Bushwhacker (10-30g). The reels that I will be using are an Exage 4000 and possibly a Cormoran 2500 or 3000. Plugs are the usual candidates: Tide Minnows (10-30g), Feed shallows, Patchinkos, Wedges etc.

Many Thanks,
Tony.
If you are thinking of staying with Power Pro 0.19mm or 15Ib would be just about perfect.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Vidar, your advice is always appreciated.

If I switched to Powershot, would you still recommend 15lb? It seem very thin at 0.11. Anyone know if the Powershot breaking strains are accurate?

·
Banned
2,432 Posts

Many Thanks,
Tony.
If you dont want to move on to the new mega braids why not move sideways but 'up' in quality and try the Yamatoyo.
Its a 4 strand but of 'higher' quality.
PowerPro is wonderful stuff but braid has moved on,I have used it for years and others but I have just decided to move forward and invest in a top line 8 strand.
The difference is amazing,seeing is believing.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Powershot in 25lb is only 0.15mm, and is lovely and smooth and thin. Decent value also, and has been a pleasure to fish with. I tend to think more about diameter rather than breaking strains now.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys.

Your replies have summarised my dilemma. I'm not sure whether to continue with a thinner PP or upgrade to Yamatoyo or Powershot.

Any major differences between Yamatoyo and Powershot? Are they both suitable for a relative novice? Is Yamatoyo still only available in blue and what diameter would you recommend?

Thanks again,
Tony.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I have the Power Shot in 20lb/blue and I have found it very easy to get on with, even lent a reel loaded with it to a mate with little previous experience with thinner braids/fixed spools- and he was fine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again guys.

What's the blue like visibility wise?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

Your replies have summarised my dilemma. I'm not sure whether to continue with a thinner PP or upgrade to Yamatoyo or Powershot.

Any major differences between Yamatoyo and Powershot? Are they both suitable for a relative novice? Is Yamatoyo still only available in blue and what diameter would you recommend?

Thanks again,
Tony.
Yamatoyo Flash PE is bright orange :-D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Orange? Far out!!

Was it developed by a crazy dutchman??

I assume that it's easy to see on the water.

Have you used it? Is it available in the UK?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Believe me, especially for slack or semi slack line soft lure presentations like seen in LRF and HRF, bright braids are a big help.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Keith,

So would you recommend yellow over red, blue and green?

Any evidence that the fish can see the brighter coloured lines resulting in less bites?

Thanks for you input, as always,
Tony.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
They are all opaque so yes, they can see them.

In very clear water LRF fishing this last Winter/Spring....

When takes dried up to the finest braids (PE 0.4 at the time) straight through fluorocarbon lines, though thicker and compromising presentation, resulted in fish I don't think we would have caught otherwise. So, yes, I think it matters.

Blue is a great colour for working lures in the surface layers as fish are looking up. When lines are at fish level, then I think it really starts to matter, especially on educated, pressured, lure shy fish.

·
Registered
207 Posts
They are all opaque so yes, they can see them.

In very clear water LRF fishing this last Winter/Spring....

When takes dried up to the finest braids (PE 0.4 at the time) straight through fluorocarbon lines, though thicker and compromising presentation, resulted in fish I don't think we would have caught otherwise. So, yes, I think it matters.

Blue is a great colour for working lures in the surface layers as fish are looking up. When lines are at fish level, then I think it really starts to matter, especially on educated, pressured, lure shy fish.
Sorry. Thought none of you had ever had a problem with fish seeing the line and it was just me ;)

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Sorry. Thought none of you had ever had a problem with fish seeing the line and it was just me ;)
Funny that. Thought exactly the same thing. Just assumed I was a dinosaur.
Can't get away from the fact though: - seems to be far more hi vis colours dominating the braid marketplace. Is it a marketing thing - hard to believe when you think of the R & D the manufacturers put into their products?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts