The Lure Forums banner

What Breaking Strain Braid for Bass?

6K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  David Brown 
#1 ·
I'm looking to replace my 0.23 Power Pro which I believe has a breaking strain of 20lb (thanks Vidar). I'll be using it with a Quantum Energy Bass 240 (15-50g) and a 7' Bushwhacker (10-30g). The reels that I will be using are an Exage 4000 and possibly a Cormoran 2500 or 3000. Plugs are the usual candidates: Tide Minnows (10-30g), Feed shallows, Patchinkos, Wedges etc.

What breaking strain should I use for general plugging for bass?

Which makes of braid are most suitable for a relative novice?

Many Thanks,
Tony.

#3 ·
Thanks Vidar, your advice is always appreciated.

If I switched to Powershot, would you still recommend 15lb? It seem very thin at 0.11. Anyone know if the Powershot breaking strains are accurate?

#4 ·
If you dont want to move on to the new mega braids why not move sideways but 'up' in quality and try the Yamatoyo.
Its a 4 strand but of 'higher' quality.
PowerPro is wonderful stuff but braid has moved on,I have used it for years and others but I have just decided to move forward and invest in a top line 8 strand.
The difference is amazing,seeing is believing.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

Your replies have summarised my dilemma. I'm not sure whether to continue with a thinner PP or upgrade to Yamatoyo or Powershot.

Any major differences between Yamatoyo and Powershot? Are they both suitable for a relative novice? Is Yamatoyo still only available in blue and what diameter would you recommend?

Thanks again,
Tony.

#8 ·
I have the Power Shot in 20lb/blue and I have found it very easy to get on with, even lent a reel loaded with it to a mate with little previous experience with thinner braids/fixed spools- and he was fine.

#10 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

Your replies have summarised my dilemma. I'm not sure whether to continue with a thinner PP or upgrade to Yamatoyo or Powershot.

Any major differences between Yamatoyo and Powershot? Are they both suitable for a relative novice? Is Yamatoyo still only available in blue and what diameter would you recommend?

Thanks again,
Tony.
Yamatoyo Flash PE is bright orange :-D

#14 ·
They are all opaque so yes, they can see them.

In very clear water LRF fishing this last Winter/Spring....

When takes dried up to the finest braids (PE 0.4 at the time) straight through fluorocarbon lines, though thicker and compromising presentation, resulted in fish I don't think we would have caught otherwise. So, yes, I think it matters.

Blue is a great colour for working lures in the surface layers as fish are looking up. When lines are at fish level, then I think it really starts to matter, especially on educated, pressured, lure shy fish.

#15 ·
They are all opaque so yes, they can see them.

In very clear water LRF fishing this last Winter/Spring....

When takes dried up to the finest braids (PE 0.4 at the time) straight through fluorocarbon lines, though thicker and compromising presentation, resulted in fish I don't think we would have caught otherwise. So, yes, I think it matters.

Blue is a great colour for working lures in the surface layers as fish are looking up. When lines are at fish level, then I think it really starts to matter, especially on educated, pressured, lure shy fish.
Sorry. Thought none of you had ever had a problem with fish seeing the line and it was just me ;)

#17 ·
Sorry. Thought none of you had ever had a problem with fish seeing the line and it was just me ;)
Funny that. Thought exactly the same thing. Just assumed I was a dinosaur.
Can't get away from the fact though: - seems to be far more hi vis colours dominating the braid marketplace. Is it a marketing thing - hard to believe when you think of the R & D the manufacturers put into their products?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.