The Lure Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a picture of what can happen if you think they have seen you.
This powerboat just came by on autopilot and the kayak was in the way!

The fisherman had nothing and dived as deep as possible when the boat came by.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Reminds me of being on a motorbike in a world of cars.....

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
How can you be on autopilot in what seems a small boat judging by the prop marks on the kayak?? Weekend boat owners no doubt...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This picture and story is from an australian blog.
Check out www.yakass.net for more info!
Super site for kayakanglers!

Powerboat meets kayak aftermath
Monday, 01 March 2010 06:20 Josh News - Newsflash
Words escaped me when I first saw the aftermath of Stu's near-death experience at the hands of a negligent boat skipper (negligence confirmed by admission of auto-pilot cruising) and when I first met Stu on Saturday morning - a mere day after the encounter the first thing I wanted to know was whether or not his breakfast tasted better than any other in his living memory and whether or not he planned to go buy a few tats tickets. Because for sure if Stu had not managed to dive fast and far enough away from his ill-fated kayak, he would have ended up meeting the same fate. Suffice to say, he's very lucky to be alive.

It's only a matter of time before someone gets caught out again so all we can do as individuals is to make ourselves seen and if and when possible, avoid places and times that heavy boat traffic is persistent. Although the topic of shark threat gets way more attention, the threat of having something like this happen to a kayaker (rivers, lakes & estuaries included) is far greater and doesn't get anywhere near the attention it deserves - including here. This occurrence has inspired me to make sure that we get some helpful information posted on visibility and awareness on the water. Look for more on that real-soon-now{tm).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts