The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I played mum today and cooked for 7 of us. I took a box of squid home from the shop and cleaned it, cut it into rings about an inch thick. Rolled it in seasoned flour and fried til crispy, served with sweet chillie sauce for starters. Made two huge fish pies with smoked haddock, and ling, it was awesome and went down well. Total cost of meal? The price of a few lb of spuds, a litre of oil for doing the squid and the other few bits and pieces. (the haddock was from a friend in the fish market, sorted). (ooh and the ling was caught by Daniel Fergusson last summer, I filleted it, boned it and cut it into sections and froze it, perfect for pies)

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
I cooked Flounder that I caught earlier on this year in a creamy mushroom sauce with King Prawns, with Muscles cooked in Cider for a starter, not my normal Friday night meat but thought I would make the effort ! Your meal sounded fab, can I have an invite if I come over ?

·
2,560 Posts
Had a nice piece of cod yesterday if that counts, in relation to the ling, had some before christmas. It was caught and filleted for me off a local boat. Lesson learnt was not to wash it at home in freshwater before cooking, completely ruined the taste..doh!

·
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cooked Flounder that I caught earlier on this year in a creamy mushroom sauce with King Prawns, with Muscles cooked in Cider for a starter, not my normal Friday night meat but thought I would make the effort ! Your meal sounded fab, can I have an invite if I come over ?
Mate I love cooking fish, if you come over we can either have the fish pie, or bass fillets shallow fried in olive oil and butter served with Jersey Royals and some fresh peas, wow wow wee wooooo!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Wife had a bit of Salmon but I must confess to having a youngs fish finger sandwich at lunch. Does that count? :|

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Mate I love cooking fish, if you come over we can either have the fish pie, or bass fillets shallow fried in olive oil and butter served with Jersey Royals and some fresh peas, wow wow wee wooooo!

When in season I eat Jersey Royals as often as I can, they are Gods food , I don't wash or peel them, boil and eat, WWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW !
Best thing to come out of Jersey except for Lures !!!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I too cooked a fish pie recently and had to buy the prawns, salmon and smoked haddock but the white fish was from my own fair hand and was the last bass I caught last year( 2nd week of december) had been on ice since then. It was done according to the fish bible(hugh fernley wittingstall's fish book) hugh's mum's own recipe. Only thing my kids devour, clean plates all round!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
I too cooked a fish pie recently and had to buy the prawns, salmon and smoked haddock but the white fish was from my own fair hand and was the last bass I caught last year( 2nd week of december) had been on ice since then. It was done according to the fish bible(hugh fernley wittingstall's fish book) hugh's mum's own recipe. Only thing my kids devour, clean plates all round!
Sounds superb Luke, maybe there is a need to have a section for cooking your catch ?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Rainbow trout fillets caught and prepared by my stepfather. Skinned, then dipped in flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs and fried for the best fish fingers around! My kids wolf them down. Very cheap indeed!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Turbot fillet from last years catch, simply pan fried in Alderney butter in seasoned flour.

Boat goes in next week, so plenty more turbot on the way!

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
in relation to the ling, had some before christmas. It was caught and filleted for me off a local boat. Lesson learnt was not to wash it at home in freshwater before cooking, completely ruined the taste..doh!
Is this true then Mike? I didn't realise that? Does the same go for other fish then? If so I presume you just fillet the fish and leave it rather than giving it a rinse under the tap?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Fish fingers for me (I don't like fresh fish), the wife and eldest boy had scallops and king prawns.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Frozen pollack fillet, dusted with flour and fired in Jersey butter. Not a big fan of bass.

And some new spuds from the garden, with more Jersey butter. Peas and calabrese.

Well there are no saturated fats in the pollack are there.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Naturally smoked Haddock, Jersey Royals & sweetcorn.Simple & tasty.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts