The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By my own standards I have had a pretty rubbish catch rate this year. There are external factors largely responsible but looking a bit deeper and other factors have played a part and more so than previous years.

1. Having less time to fish (due to work and arrival of a baby) I have been fishing marks that previously produced good results. This year due to there seeming to be less bass than previous years the bigger fish seem to be much thinner on the ground and the marks that have produced bigger fish have produced next to nothing.

2. Less time to fish = less time to learn and keep up with movements in location, feeding patterns and just being in the right place at the right time. Not to mention what the 'hot' method is.

3. Smaller lures are something I use quite a bit anyway but this year the bigger lures that usually produce as well have caught hardly anything. It seems to be small lures or not at all as far as catching goes.

Anybody else noticed changing patterns this year?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Good post Mike - been a weird year for me too;

1. Weather - you can go to the most remotest virgin fishing grounds on the planet or simply go local but the weather plays a huge part of fishing especially when you are consigned to dates like tropical trips or festivals - for me this has been the biggest FU ever

2. Local knowledge is key - be it a tropical trip, Ireland or Cornwall - if you can afford it get a guide if not try and do your research and give yourself a head start

3. The Bass have been smaller - all of my fish have been small ... in fact (save Ireland) I have not had one in the UK over 3lbs this year

4. One of the better decisions this year was have lessons - really enjoyed both my tying and fly casting lessons so will continue them next year

Will see what next year brings and I am going to change my priorities accordingly!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Thought provoking Mike, here goes.....
Catch rate is up this year, but due to the increased number of sessions I believe.
Deeper and slower - don't be afraid to cast into the snaggy grounds, sure you'll lose some stuff.....but you do get rewarded :-D
Smaller lures work - used to use 120mm plus lures all the time, now I'm using more and more of the 50mm range and getting better results
LW and the push is not the only time that works - For years i've been really only interested in the new push of the tide, but having fished much more this season and at many more marks, I've found that I can catch through all stages of the tide
Colour - used to thing that 'au naturel' was best, matching the hatch so to speak. This year I've been convinced that its more to do with the vibration given off, sometimes rattles/sometime not...but still good vibrations, nothing harsh. Lure outline is also paramount, especially is fishing without rattle on small sp's. Wrasse love purple :wink:
Local knowledge - deffo works and is required
Darkness is your friend - first real season fishing the nights proper, it makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
In brief:

*SP's are actually fairly handy
*Wrasse love SP's
*Importance of water movement
*Night fishing can be very productive, and is easier than you think

Lots of other bits and pieces also, not even going into HRF and LRF.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I've learned to trust my instincts more and starting to believe in myself instead of thinking like a novice.

I spent a lot of time last winter learning how to use my lures effectively in different ways without the distraction of trying to catch fish, so when spring came around I knew what could do when and when, which helped me gain confidence in them producing.

I learned that the wildest white water can be your friend not foe

And I've learned that you can drink a pint of Guiness while standing upside down

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
This year has been interesting,
1. Match the hatch works just as well in saltwater as it does for trout fishing.
2. Fish smarter, short sessions at the right times. Rather than long sessions with a small window of fish.
3. Don't write off any salt/brackish water that hold food for bass, no matter where it is.
4. Don't believe all widely held "truths" about bass fishing, unless you try. You never really know. Not all "experts" really know what they are talking about.
5. Topwaters are just as productive as sub-surface lure-IN THE RIGHT CONDITIONS
6. The japanese are still miles ahead of us, but we are catching up.
7. Good company while fishing is more important than catching bass.
8. Small/slim lures have been THE way to catch better bass this year. I haven't caught on a lure over 125mm this year.

Reactions: steve mullins

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Some interesting responses above. This year I suppose I have learned that:-

- the more I fish, the more I realise I don't know as much as I thought I did.
- fishing for small fish is still as much fun as it was when I was 10
- fishing for bigger fish is more fun than I thought it could be when I was 10
- bigger SPs can account for some very, very nice fish
- SPs are even more satisfying than I even thought they were, and I class myself as a convert already
- shorter rods are superb fishing tools
- longer rods are superb fishing tools
- the odd angler here and there is a tool
- bass are only one of the great lure quarries on our doorstep
- it helps to fish with a good, no make that great photographer around to catch the memories

but most of all, I have met some great blokes, all of whom are good or great anglers whether they think so or not, and I have been privileged to realise that the enjoyment in angling isn't just the size or number of fish you catch, its about who you fish with, the craic, the bon temps. It about learning from passing on information and from listening to open minded anglers whether they have 30 years experience or 30 days. Good friends will make your angling so so much better.

And they will you know.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
i learnt the best thing for me was joining this forum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Since starting up fishing again this summer, I have learnt it's best to research first, read the forums/magazines and gear reviews. I jumped in, bought what I thought I needed, and months later and ££££ spent, I am just getting the right kit together now, with a few redundant reels and rods in the mix! When I look at where I started, convinced I would only ever catch on an Abu Toby, to getting my first bass on a Savage Gear eel, to finally starting catching bass on plugs, the last 4 months has been an explosion of learning, with the practical side being greatly aided by fantastic resources like this forum.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ive learnt that by making mistakes you learn alot, in both fishing and life. Ive also learnt that lure fishing is alot more challenging than coarse fishing and alot more rewarding, even though i spend most of the time blanking.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Dave Irving and Paul have summed it up pretty well, I agree with most of their comments but still haven't had many chances to fish with SP's. Paul i like items 2 and 3 on your list - I felt 10 years old at 4pm on Sunday 24th October :)
Something I learned several years ago is - the more you learn the more you realise how little you know.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
What have I learnt this year?

1. I have a lot to learn
2. I don't really know anything at all about bass fishing
3. Wrasse are much more fun than any other lure species and a darn sight easier to catch
4. There are loads more bass in Jersey than Guernsey
5. Lure fishing is all about mates and having a good time, it doesn't need to be serious.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Some fantastic answers on here, great thread.

For me 2010 made me realise that when things get tough they can get even tougher. (But it keeps you on your toes eh)

I discovered how important constant feel of the lure/softie matters (even though I am no where near putting into practice in every situation).

Big Coalfish on spinning rods should be experienced by every angler. (But its bloody expensive)

As Mr Irving said, shorter more precise trips are the way forward (but I do love 10 hours on the boat on a sunny sunday bumble)

Dont complicate things, I found it started to annoy me when I couldnt do the things or feel the things I read about. By all means read and learn about techniques, but on the whole, buy your own ****ing glue and find your own way of doing things

Welshmen can drink hotels cellars dry, and I have a feeling I will have some Welsh friends for the rest of my life, good boys those Lewis boys :)

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
One for me is, lighter is fun and brings back memories from earlier times.

·
Banned
1,282 Posts
2010 for me hasn't been about big fish or a lot of fish, 'nor about catching fish in in horrible conditions, or about latest methods and tackle. 2010 for me just confirms that if there's water and fish then I am going to have a ball !!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
being my first proper go at lure fishing i've learnt loads
1.you don't need a lot of water for bass to feed in (ta westside)
2.you can catch em of the top
3.i was going to get sucked in to it and be mesmerized by shiny plastic only buy 10 lures (yea right)
4.tie a better knot than an albright knot (coast me abit before i learnt that one)
5.travelling light one rod moving about is really enjoyable instead of my usual barrow of carp gear
6.my god it's addictive
thanks all for your post which ive been scouring through every night this year which i've learnt so much from
roll on next spring can't wait!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts