The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So chaps ... am after a decent angling kayak, and was wondering what models you all use, and if you were to change, what you would go for? I am 6ft 2in tall and weigh 14 stone.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi Mate,

iam roughly the same dimensions as you and i use the prowler 13 and love it, even when its choppy it feels very safe indeed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'am about the same size as you and I have a Peception Freedom Angler great yak for fishing and fast in the water

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks very much for your replies chaps. Seems that there is quite a mix of boats.

My problem is that the main kayak dealers locally are selling Ocean Kayak ..... so what Ocean Kayak would you recommend, as there are a fair few angling models to choose from?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am about the same size as you, maybe a stone heavier. I have a Manta Ray 12 and a Manta Ray 14.

The 12 is better when fishing in confined areas as it is more manoeuvrable, whereas the 14 is better in open water and is a little faster. (I am not a kayak snob, my son uses the 12 most of the time, but I pinch it when he is at school and I want to fish around tight gulleys. I would recommend them both and prefer them to a Prowler 13 that I have paddled previously.

LINKEY

·
Registered
456 Posts
I got an Ocean Kayak - Prowler Trident 15 recently, seems the business to me, good speed. I have a rudder kit fitted which is a big help in a breeze.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I have a malibu x-factor, it's a very stable kayak, but little slower!
In calm waters i fish like that :mrgreen:;

Best regards from Portugal,
Pedro Neves

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm old skool with a Prowler 13.

Does what it says on the tin, but would really benefit from a rudder in a side wind.

Why do they always turn into wind when you are paddling?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am about the same size as you, maybe a stone heavier. I have a Manta Ray 12 and a Manta Ray 14.

The 12 is better when fishing in confined areas as it is more manoeuvrable, whereas the 14 is better in open water and is a little faster. (I am not a kayak snob, my son uses the 12 most of the time, but I pinch it when he is at school and I want to fish around tight gulleys. I would recommend them both and prefer them to a Prowler 13 that I have paddled previously.

LINKEY
Im the opposite to you have tried the manta rays and settled for prowler 13 and am very happy so I suggest you try and paddle a few before you buy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good point, Allen. Try a few out if you can. The perfect kayak for one person might not be satisfactory to another. We are spoilt for choice these days and most of the good fishing kayaks will not disappoint.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am still trying to get a demo on some of these, but not easy where I live, so will have to travel further afield. I am in no rush now, but would like one before next season.

Thanks very much for all your replies.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hobie

Hi nick,

I had a Hobie Outfitter Fish which I sold recently it was
two seated that you could either paddle or pedal with the Mirage system

I really enjoy using the hobie's as they leave two hands free for fishing, mine came equipped with all the trimmings I needed for fishing such as bait buckets lure boxes 4rod holders anchor amd a few other little bits

I sold the outfitter as next season Im going to buy either a Hobie Revolution or Outback

The Outback is a really stable fishing platform even in bad chop but because of it's width it loses a little speed

The Revo which I think I will buy is 13ft and although a little bit of stability is lost it cuts the water alot better and is a nicer kayak to paddle compared to the Outback.

Have a look at canoes-shop.co.uk they have a few shops around SW England & Wales. I have dealt with them before and find the guys very helpful.

Whichever make of kayak you buy I still have to say it's one of the best ways of fishing and getting out and about.

Tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts