What leader do you use? | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

What leader do you use?

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Snapper

For the last 6 years I've been using Pisces 20lb monofiliment for a leader but I can't get it any more.

Not thinking there'd be much difference in mono I picked up some 20lb Amnesia but was horrified to find that stuff is so much thicker than my previous leader, no matter how tight I tie the leader the knot is bulky and makes an annoying ticking noise when it goes down through the rod eyes. Being thicker the line is also a lot stiffer...

My leaders normally start life at 8ft plus as sometimes its advantageous to have the leader knot clear of the water when in close, especially in very weedy conditions....so a short leader to avoid going through the rod rings isn't an option.

I then found somewhere on line that claimed they held Pisces mono but after about 6 weeks waiting for the next batch to come in and never arriving they sent me something they said was very similar 20lb Oblivion mono 0.45mm in diameter.

This Oblivion was thinner than the amnesia but still not as thin as the Pisces mono and not as flexible....

I don't want to use braid straigh through, I suppose I could go down to 15lb leader but I'd prefer to stick to the 20lb as its not uncommon to have to land 15lb plus of hard fighting kelp in heavy surf....so I was wondering what you are using and what you would recommend?

Thanks

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Striper

3. Guest

Seguar ace hard 15.4lb (0.282mm dia) is probably the best available. Its quite expensive (maybe a fiver more) but personally the leader is one of the most important parts of our set up's and not worth scrimping on imho

Its fluro mind ;)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Snapper

5. Perch

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Snapper

Thanks Craig, if I struggle to get the line I want I might give it a go.....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Snapper

8. Striper

They've got other deals on as well by the look of it. 4oz spool of mono in 20lb with a spool of shockleader. Pretty cheap so you could maybe dump the shockleader if it's no good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Perch

I just made the connection Bill :redface:

I guess I'm not too fussy with leader as used about 5 different types this year with no complaints about any. I highlighted the Asso as it's the cheapest I've used. Hopefully you can get some more Pisces and problem solved.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Guest

either seguar or ygk flouro around the 15/16 lb most of the time but i will go up to 20lb if needed . I have been using seguar for salmon fishing for years without fault so naturally carried on using it for bass fishing . never had a problem with either of the above lines ..

• Like Like x 1
  11. Salmon

The seaguar ace hard hasn't let me down for years, so I've kind of just stuck with it and use it in a variety of breaking strains. Excellent abrasion resistance, if quite stiff.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snapper

Well thanks for all the replies the seaguar seems to have a lot of fans, I think I might get 1 spool of this and a couple of pisces spools (if they are actually in stock) , should keep me going for a few more years :)

13. Striper

Sunline Siglon has always worked for me but I don't fish anywhere where I need 20lb BS. Likely to be very thick and stiff at that diameter. Previously used Varivas without any issues.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Striper

try matching the diameter rather than the bs

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sea Trout 2016 Bass Challenge Winner

I have been using YGK fluoro from Mr Fish. Nice and supple, and apart from 1 cut off which i think was a freak occurance , I have well been more than happy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pollock

Seagur ace hard usually but my current spool seems to have went a bit funny.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pollock

Did try the ultima power steel this year 20lb, 0.37mm for wrassing and it was good stuff and much cheaper than fluro. Normally stick to 15lb berkley trilene for bassing, its thick stuff a 0.38mm but its never let me down and its nice to use.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Snapper

Varivas 365 from Veals Online.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Striper

YGK for me

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pike

If you swap to flouro, I reckon you will see a difference in the way your lures work - especially using 8ft.

I think amnesia may be overrated, and hence the 15 could be as strong as the mono you are used to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1