What leader do you use? | Page 2 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

What leader do you use?

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Pollock

I have also been using Trilene this season in various braking strains , depending on where and the conditions I’m fishing , it’s cheaper to buy than the expensive Japanese brands and so far I have not had any problems . I only use Monofilament leaders if I’m using large TW’s as it helps impart action to the lures as Mono floats , the line I have been using is Ultima Memorex in Clear. Regarding Leader lengths, I use no more than 3-5ft , usually using the longer lengths are used for SP drifting .

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pollock Supporting Member

Cant get my head round using fast sinking fluoro on the nose of a surface lure. Worry about effects on action. Maybe a case for using different leaders on different lures........I do that with wire strength/length/fittings in freshwater.
    overrated breaking strains? Surely not!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wrasse

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sea Trout 2016 Bass Challenge Winner

I don't buy into to floating / sinking issue. A tight line to a floating lure with water drag means the mono or flouro is going to act in an almost identical manner. Even on a pause, there will be sufficient line tension to stop the flouro sinking to any significant degree.

I hear the same argument in fly fishing circles. I quite happily fish dry flies on flouro with good success and I know many highly regarded experts who do likewise.

At the end of the day it's personal choice. I like flouro. Maybe a little more expensive but one spool usually last a season anyway so it's very marginal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Snapper

Thanks for all your comments chaps.

I've just ordered a couple of spools of the elusive pisces mono a £2.99 a pop as well as the Seguar ace hard 15.4lb. Will try the fluro first.

6. Pollock

Just wondering Bill - do you tie your leader with a knot or attach a ring / swivel?

7. Snapper

I always use a grinner Paul - 6 turns on the braid, 4 turns on the mono.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bass

The Seaguar is definitely the most abrasion resistant out of the leaders I have tried.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Guest

As to the sinking property of flouro and mono in real terms its negligible....
    If a line is tightened at any point of the retrieve then it has no bearing.
    Don't get hung up on sinking performance,if in doubt cut two equal lengths of mono and flouro and drop them in a bowl of water ,bugger all difference . A main advantage of flouro is that doesn't absorb water like mono and is harder thus more abrasion resistant.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Striper

I've noticed that a shorter fluoro leader helps when using the baby Patch. And pretty sure mono lines vary in buoyancy.
    Been using 16lb savage gear fluoro recently with no complaints.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Pollock

Regards fluro v nylon leaders for topwaters I'm in the it makes no difference camp and I fish topwaters regularly. I've used both many times and the only time it made a slight difference was when I used a long 10ft heavy fluro (0.43mm) leader. This made the baby patch dip under the surface slightly from time to time, made no difference to the larger patch and my catch rate was normal. I wouldnt normally use such heavy leader for small topwaters I was just being lazy at the time and couldnt be arsed to replace the leader. Usually 15lb fluro preforms exactly the same as 15 to 20lb nylon. If the lighter lines change lure action its so slight I cant notice and the bass dont seem to care so why should we...................

• Like Like x 3
  12. Blanker

I think you should try STROFT 0.300mm line.... I always use the LS type for leader but GTM at 0.325mm will work too