The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looked at knot lure earlier - got me thinking about flouro to braid knots clattering in the rings - what length flouro leaders are you using? are you casting with them (the knot) outside or inside the tip ring/ rings?

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Depends what I'm doing and how gnarly the terrain is Richard! If I'm 'flipping' into deep, rough terrain I'll put on 7ft of leader to have a bit of protection. If it's just general plugging, about 3 ft of flouro. I try to keep the knot away from the rings.

If you search for 'flouro' or 'leaders' etc up the top you'll find many, many points of view

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
looked at knot lure earlier - got me thinking about flouro to braid knots clattering in the rings - what length flouro leaders are you using? are you casting with them (the knot) outside or inside the tip ring/ rings?
Most sessions in the second half of this year have seen me using 18",earlier in the season I was using 8'+.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Varies for me too.

HRF I use a longer leader to drop SP's in really heavy ground.

Plugging ? I make the leader longer than any fish I expect to catch.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I use a 2ft length when on the kayak and 4ft from the shore.

Always outside the rings.

Although I find that if I'm not paying attention I will end up winding the knot through the rings at times. Which has cost me dearly on one occasion :cry:

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I'll just add here that most times, knots get stuck in tip section guides because....

The knots are too big because, the lines are too heavy.

We are fishing for fish that rarely break 7lb remember. Sad but true overall.

I often use a 12lb leader, sometimes less. Never been broke at the leader since switching to FC lines.

HRF for Wrasse, yes, longer, much longer leaders that need checking ALL the time due to rock contact.
I start with the knot in the butt guides. Cast smooth, knot might rattle a little but I'll live with it. Never got stuck though.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
when i use one at all (which is not often), i use about 2-3ft. I use a rig ring between the braid and the mono, makes for easier knots.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
About a meter of 15lb flurocarbon, uni to uni knot, and the knot stays outside of the tip ring. Worth mentioning as Keith did to me last year, try varying the drop length as it has a noticable effect on casting distance.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Only started lure fishing recently, but following the general consensus here 2-3 foot, knot outside tip ring. When I started it was longer but I did notice the knot getting damaged so used to re-tie every session. Now I only do it every 4-5 sessions. Use uni-to uni knot as my Albrights don't seem too safe. Maybe I should practice more...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
... try varying the drop length as it has a noticable effect on casting distance.
Massive point. Lure length, weight, weight shifting design all make things different. The optimum drop length can be anywhere within a couple of feet (min-max).

·
Registered
769 Posts
I dont use them on non-rough ground and where there is movement or some colour in the water and catch as many as others who do use them as I think its one less knot. I do use them over rougher ground, or in very clear water in bright conditions. Length of my leader: about 3 foot.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
2-3 feet for me also......

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good replies - keep em coming....

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Couple feet max for me in normal situation, knot always outside the ring.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i've had too long a leader by all accounts. usually have enough to have 1 loop on the reel when casting so my fingers on the flouro not the braid...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Richard, thats near enough for bait casting, where you will have a few turns on the reel and then your'e chucking maybe 5 or 6 ounces of lead too.
Try it with just 2 feet and then give that Z claw another go. I reckon you will be pleasently surprised :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts