What size Jig Heads for SP's? | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

What size Jig Heads for SP's?

Discussion in 'Tackle & Tips' started by {name}, May 9, 2017.

1. Sprat

Hey guys, apologies if this has already been covered but Im looking to start using more soft lures and was wondering how you guys size up your jig heads to your SP's? For example is a 2/0 jig head suitable for a 4 inch lure? Or is there a formula to work out which size is most appropriate. Im aware that there may be differences between manufacturers but was wondering if there was a rough guide?

Thanks all and tight lines.
    Joe

2. Bass

The conditions you are fishing will define the weight to use and the size of the SP will define the size of hook. Too heavy and the lure will sink and stick to the bottom, too light and it wont get down to the required depth. The idea is to experiment and adjust to the conditions/current to get the lure moving just right in the tide.

I'm new to SP fishing too so happy to be corrected if I got it wrong

• Like Like x 1
  3. Banned

Im no expert on SP fishing but what works for me is this:

Xlayer size sps on a 7g Baachi head

Anything larger on Birdy heads.

But again it depends on the distance i want to cast, depth of water, fishing into wind etc

I retrieve using sink and draw.

I hate fishing those weightless hooks as it bores the hell out of me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Guest

As a rough guide you ideally want the hook to exit the lure at 1/3rd of the lure length. Weight depends on where and when & what your fishing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Perch

If your fishing a flow you need the lure to come around slowly what that speed is down to your mark so it's a suck it see scenario. As the tide or flows vary so your jig heads will have to be changed You also need to think about the bottom your fishing, If it's a rough bottom is going to eat lures so you either go light and have it flow over the top or heavier and anchor it.

• Like Like x 1