What the F**K am I doing wrong? | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

What the F**K am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'LRF & HRF Chat' started by {name}, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Snapper

I have been trying this Lrf stuff out and quite frankly I am finding it crap. I have fished several harbours and estuaries, tried fishing close in, casting out, dropshot, slow retrieve, jighead, texas and have not caught squat since late last year!
    I haven't seen alot of activity admitidly, though I know where I usually catch flatties on bait yet still squat. I have seen sea trout about but thats about it.
    Totally ****ed off with it, I have been out for a few hours every week and its a pile of s**t.

Am I just crap or is there sweet F A swimming between Porthmadog and Barmouth?

• Like Like x 5
  2. one thing i ask my self is if there fish on say rag worm try it on your set up and see that what i did then just mach the lure to that . And if that not working then get on the wii lol .best to be out trying than not being out bud

• Like Like x 1
  3. Striper

Things are slow up here also. It's just the water temp in my opinion. Fish just aren't as active. Have you tried targetting the sea trout mate? May also be worthwhile heading to fresh water and having a go for perch?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pollock

To be honest, we don't always have those 50/60 fish sessions. Right now is a particularly hard time in my local area, with 10 fish being an exceptional night. So you're not alone on finding it slow.

Sounds like you're doing everything right, so you should really be enjoying some steady sport. When things are really slow, I sometimes stick on a whole power isome and just drop it down the side (repeat along harbour walls etc), the bigger profile + scent properties usually get the fish excited. If it doesn't start getting attacked within a couple minutes, then it would seem likely that there aren't too many fish present. If it does, then drop down to a size 12/14 hook and split shot with a 1" section of the worm.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Snapper

Nah, I haven't got a license and am not sure what to use for them. I have been mostly using Power isome and Gulp sandworm.
    Not sure I want to fork out on a license for them buggers either. I'm right ****ed off though, I though lrf might be a way of seeing me through the winter, its starting to put me off altogether. I aint got the time to dig bait, its usually a case of get a window and go.

6. Striper

I think Matt pretty much summed it up. If you can't catch on power isome then very likely there is nothing there/nothing feeding. When we have that around here I switch to piking for a while. Then give it another go after a couple of weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Snapper

The harbour you fish, is there water up to the walls at low water? I've tried similar to what you have suggested, but am wondering whether there may not be fish present so much as at low water there is just a shallow channel running in the middle of the harbour. When I was in Cornwall I noticed that alot of the harbours have stll a fair volume of water during low tide and Gobies and stuff still hugging the walls.

What sort of fish are you catching there?

8. Pollock

Yep, 95% of the marks I fish always have at least a foot or two of water at low tide. I catch everything from Blennies to Ballans etc. Marks which dry out at low become a different ball game altogether and I would then be looking at Flounder, Schoolies, Pollack(on some marks) etc. I'm not sure on the behaviour of the little rockfish species, but wouldn't have them pegged as a fish that moves in and out with tides.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pollock

Move to the Menai Straits !

• Like Like x 1
  10. Snapper

No I'm pretty sure they don't, In Padstow say I have caught Gobies at very low water in one of those little crab nets while crabbing with the children. They're savage little buggers when they want to be, attacking pieces of Mackerel nearly as big as them. In the summer I had a few little blenny like bottom feeder attacking my Sandworm at low water, whilst fishing the shallow channel though.
    I know there are no Pollock in the harbours I've been fishing and its a little early for the Bass here, so maybe I'm not crap after all its just there is a lack of fish. Still sucks though :-(.
    I want to live in Cornwall!

11. Pollock

**** Cornwall, move to Devon!! :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snapper

If I can find work and a house for rent in a nice enough area I will consider it. The Wife really doesn't want to move to Cornwall.

13. CoFounder & Retired Admin

Lee, take out the " im crap " :) (out of your head) bit more frustration than anything else im sure. Have you tried over the high waters? As others have said its pretty tough at the mo.

14. Snapper

Yeah tried highs, lows and everything else I can think of mate.

15. CoFounder & Retired Admin

Could you supply some pics of where you are trying (at your discretion of course) maybe you may get some ideas to try from anyone wishing to help out. Or it may well be that it is as you say very slow there at the mo.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pollock

Lee,

On a serious note m8 it does not surprise me that you are not catching at the moment as there,s a lot of ice melt gone into those estuaries the last couple of weeks from the mountains dropping the water temperature a bit and it puts fish off .I was on night dock duty two weeks ago and I normally see small Pollack and Coalie,s under the Harbour lights at night but did not see a single one,this mild spell we are having at the moment will improve things in the next cople of days.

Just to add a bit more info the only marks that are producing fish at mo are the south facing rock marks on the Llyn and Anglesey coastline with also the exposed storm beaches producing catches of small Bass, Pollack,Coal fish and Whiting.

Gary

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Snapper

I'm having some trouble with my Photobucket just now so I'll post some links.

Barmouth Harbour http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=Ba...&w=908&h=500&ei=aHJKT9yjGsXH0QX1g5CvDg&zoom=1

Porthmadog harbour at low http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=Po...&w=500&h=333&ei=5nRKT8rFMKex0AWYieWjDg&zoom=1

And High http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=Po...&w=640&h=480&ei=5nRKT8rFMKex0AWYieWjDg&zoom=1

18. CoFounder & Retired Admin

I see what you mean by low...lol

Can you fish by the yacht club Lee?

19. Snapper

There is the odd place along there I can fish at night.

20. Amberjack

Lee, you will crack it and then it'll be smiles all around

think about putting out an APB for a LRF buddy, I think this side of fishing is as much social as serious, this will lessen the impact of blanks, your buddy can try different things than you and you can compare strategies

but don't give up!

time and effort = reward, I promise

• Like Like x 3