The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been ringing around some of the local (and not so local) fishing tackle shops looking for a cheap(ish) spinning reel suitable for plugging for bass. Now you would think that at least one of the shops would have something useful in stock. But NO, just lots of dippy comments, and absolutely no idea about plugging.
I thought times were tough for many of the coastal fishing shops, and you would have thought that they would at least try and stock something for pluggers. But I guess not.
Really pee'd off, I need a reel asap for a mate who has just blown up a Shimano, and he is after a cheaper reel while his is back at Shimano being repaired. Now several manufacturers finally seem to make suitable reels-some even listed for saltwater spinning. But the shops don't stock them-GGgggggRRRRrrrrrrr
Too late for next day delivery, thought it would be easy to find SOMETHING useful.

All I can say is thank god for decent shops like those listed on here, at least they bother to find and stock decent gear. I just wish they were closer to sussex.
Frankly the local shops can get stuffed-I won't bother to try and support them again.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Simon,
My mate said get something to make do with until his Shimano returns- £80 budget.
I thought it would be easy,
Daiwa Exceller Plus 3000, Abu Cardinal 504i, something like that. Both seem be out of stock everywhere I look.
People say "Support local tackle shops, buy local" FORGET IT
Now I will have to phone him and tell him- no bassing for him this weekend. He will NOT be a happy bunny.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts

I don't think anyone has had a rant for a while......Nice one Dave.....:-D:-D:-D:-D

PS It's even worse up here.....Plugging???

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Adapt or die - **** is a pioneer and it shows ... local tackle shops need to have the drive to grow their business ...

Surely borrow one? You can have one of mine but I am a tad far to pickup / drop off :( and I am working otherwise I would have come down on Sat :'(

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it looks like a clean sweep from Dover to Southampton, it seems the plugger pounds aren't wanted. I am really pee'd off, especially with the reputation many areas of the south east have for spinning for bass.
Got to move to Weymouth, Cornwall or Jersey. At least that way my local shop will be worth going to.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I have over 100 different "spinning" rods from £25-£500, and over 50 2500-4000 size reels from £15-£700. But lure fishing is my brew, dont be coming here and asking me about carp stuff etc. You would have thought a coastal shop would have some 4000 size reels in though! That is crazy. Nice rant Dave, it gave me a glow reading it.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
It'll never catch on!!

One of the reps down here was telling me the other day about how he'd been in to a small Cornish tackle shop and showed the owner a couple of match poles from the catalogue. The owner's intellectual comment about pole fishing was something along the lines of; "oh yes, that's just starting to take off isn't it?!".

....he's only 25+ years behind the times! No wonder there are comments about the UK being behind when the tackle dealers themselves haven't a clue what's really going on - they are of coarse the ones that really provide us with the choice of tackle we use in most cases. Shocker.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Really glad you posted this rant - I am just starting fishing, specifically lures, and while I have seen lots of gear online I keep trying to find gear in store so I can actually try it. Would much rather support the local business, but....

Thought it was just that I didn't really know what I was looking for, but from what you say even if I did I wouldn't find it! :-x

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great rant Dave, most things boil my P*ss, but yours must be F**king steaming :wink:

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have over 100 different "spinning" rods from £25-£500, and over 50 2500-4000 size reels from £15-£700. But lure fishing is my brew, dont be coming here and asking me about carp stuff etc. You would have thought a coastal shop would have some 4000 size reels in though! That is crazy. Nice rant Dave, it gave me a glow reading it.
Good rant like it. What does £700 buy you ****? Does have a motor, GPS and fish finder attached

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it hadn't been for the time constraint, I would have called one of the shops that are listed on here or that I know understand pluggers.
Really makes you appreciate the few good shops that we have- Good work guys, thankless task at time-running a fishing shop. But I have realised how much we rely on you guys for the gear we use.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Dave, astonishing that you couldn't find anything useful with all those shops. Can I suggest Tropicana in Littlehampton? I have bought some very good gear at reasonable prices from that shop. Can't guarantee he will have something but worth a call. A bit further west than you would hope but worth a shot.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tried them Tim,
Lets just say the only reel they said they had that "might" work, would make a very good anchor!
Shame as Tropicana has been a cut above most of the shops along the coast for me in the past-Very good prices, good service.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts