The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Some of my trebles are starting to show age and are in need of replacement..... what kind and size should i go for?
My lures are mainly... yo-zuri mag poppers, super spooks, patchinko, lucky sammys etc
Any advice is more than welcome
Cheers

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hi Kev,

as a rough guide...........Owners', Gamakatsu, etc......although the Owners' are/could be considered quite expensive. Whilst you should try to match the original hook sizes on the lures, if you felt, you could go up or down a size probably without affecting the lures action at all.....some seem to benifit from a slightly larger than original size.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Hi,
Some of my trebles are starting to show age and are in need of replacement..... what kind and size should i go for?
My lures are mainly... yo-zuri mag poppers, super spooks, patchinko, lucky sammys etc
Any advice is more than welcome
Cheers
I like the Decoy patterns and also the VMC hooks.
The Decoy hooks have (to me) the perfect shape 'bend' for a lure hook.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I like the Decoy patterns
Ah..........worth a mention perhaps is one variation in "Decoy" that Nick's pointer jogged in the memory.........Decoy also do a "Quadtreble" hook range........(4 pointer).

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Morning Kev,

what kind of size is the average for bass lures?
The "average" must be between around size 4 and up to size 1/0.........But it ain't quite that simple. Try to match the original hook sizes.....unless use and experience has shown you that slightly larger or smaller (for that particular lure) gives you an improvement of some sort. For example, I have just increased the hook size significantly on a lure I was using.....and there was a big improvement over a problem that came with the original set-up.

Horses for courses' as they say..........if the Sammy115 was your flavour of the month.....then you should be looking to replace with a simular size and better quality hook.....the OwnerST36-BC in size4would be great for this.

But if your current flavour' was something like an original JTS or perhaps the Yo-Zuri Floating Minnow.....then both these shallow runners come out of the box with what appears to be pretty identical trebles around size 1/0.

Change hook sizes if you have good reason.....otherwise maintain sizes and go for quality replacement when needed.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Kev
Super spooks take a size 2 treble. For lures by Rapala and Lucky Craft have a look on the company websites, they provide the recommmended hook sizes.

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts