The Lure Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, Luke's little Awa-Shima reel has been tremendously reliable, but something strange is happening to the line on there, and i cant quite get my head around it.

The reel is the Awa-Shima Pulse HZ Bass 2000.

The problem i'm having, is that all of the lines that i'm using on there, are retaining memory. I've been through 3 different lines now, from Awa-Shima, Berkeley & Greys. They are all doing the same. They are tending to spring off the spool in coils, and are retaining memory - i.e. on the first 15 yds, you can clearly see the shape of the coils.

Originally, i thought that it was the line, so i changed the make, but now, 3 different lines down the road, i know that it isnt the lines. I also worried that i was over-filling the spools, but i've stripped loads of line off on each occassion (usually because of the tangles that ensue from the coils), and when the spool if underfilled, it's still happening.

So, my next best theory is that the lines i am using are too heavy for the spool size, and are therefore being coiled too tightly versus their diameters. I'm using lines in the region of 12lb b/s.

The only thing i can think of, is that i need to use very light lines on this reel, which may rule it out for some of Luke's Bassing.

I'd welcome any feedback from any of you that have encountered any similar issues, and any theories on next steps ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Is it the barings got all salted up on the bit that feeds the line onto the spoil (part of the bailarm) so instead of of spinning as you turn the reel it feeds the line straight on twisting it as it feeds and retaining the memory. try give the bailarm a blast with WD40

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I've heard (but never tried) leaving your spool loaded with mono in a bowl of very warm water. Apparently it removes the memory from mono.

Hope this helps

Gary

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Si

How are you loading the line? Wondering if the line is twisting during loading as Mike suggests
Usual drill. Pencil through the spool, get the misses to hold it (the spool that is). Wind it on. No different to the way i've always done it on all my reels. Just never had this issue before - but always have it on this reel. Quite annoying actually. Luke loses a lot of fishing time through it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Si, with a fixed spool the loading should be different. With a multiplier the line should be loaded with a pencil through and rotating like a drum. For a fixed spool the coils should be taken from the spool of line onto the fixed spool without twisting. I will cut and paste a link

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Surely that cant be the issue can it ? I've always loaded that way !!

·
Registered
843 Posts
http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/howto/14435.html

Cut from fishingmagic website see video above

By far the best way of holding the spool of line that is feeding the reel is so that the line will peel off the side of the spool. Do not stick it on a pencil (unless absolutely unavoidable) and let the spool turn as you take line off as this will encourage a certain amount of twist before you start. The spool must be held so that line comes off the side.

This video reafirms the point Jeff makes in his article.

When it does this, it will come off that spool either clockwise or anti-clockwise. To know which way is the right way, look from behind the reel when it is being turned and hold it right up to the new spool of line. Most modern reels now turn their bale arm in an anti-clockwise direction, the old original Mitchell reels turned in an clockwise direction so if you still have one of those, do the opposite to what I am about to tell you.

The line must come from off the spool so that it flows straight onto the reel in the same plane. Take a look at the video to see what I mean. So, just to affirm this, the spool of new line should be held with it’s sideplate facing the reel and the line coming from it in an anti-clockwise direction.090715fsreel.jpg

When you will find this difficult, or even impossible, is when the spool of line has square sides (nuisance!) or worse still, there is a slit in the end plate to tuck the free end of the line into and the line keeps sticking in it. You will just have to put those on a pencil allowing the spool to turn and hope that it doesn’t impart too much twist on your reel.

On a fixed spool reel, the line should come to within one millimetre from the lip (see pic) of the spool, any more and you’ll get the line coiling off the reel. If you’re using braid make that within 2mm of the lip, braid will simply knot up if allowed to fall off the reel.

Another point that I will repeat in the third part to this series, try and soak braided line thoroughly before loading it. It helps it bed on the reel’s spool better.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Sounds like line twist to me as said above. Oil the bearing on the bail arm that the line runs on to get it moving again then to get rid of the twist that's on the line you have on the spool, get a 1oz swivel bomb, cast out and retreive.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll have a look at that - i just havent encountered this issue on any of my other reels, and i've got plenty of fixed spool reels. The fact that it keeps happening on this particular reel makes me think that it isnt line twist, but hey-ho, if i knew what it was i would have sorted it by now.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Maybee worth a try ?

Is the line roller damaged in any way ?
Is it running true inside its housing ?

Over the years I have found the best way to take out 'twist' from the line is to lay the line out on a grassy field or long garden with long grass then wind it in under a bit of tension back onto the spool.
The long grass will 'comb' out the twist from the line.
Its amazing how well the grass combing works.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Is the line roller damaged in any way ?
Is it running true inside its housing ?

Over the years I have found the best way to take out 'twist' from the line is to lay the line out on a grassy field or long garden with long grass then wind it in under a bit of tension back onto the spool.
The long grass will 'comb' out the twist from the line.
Its amazing how well the grass combing works.
Top info there Nick.

Si, check the roller, looks like its not as free as it should be and twisting the line during retrival.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts