The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a thought last year i bought another 45 bucktails for differing patterns. when ordering from lakelanf fly tying, they sell 2 types these are the smaller bucktails, and larger tails.
When buying these, if tying salt water flies then buy the larger, dont use the cheaper one it is a false economy. the smaller version is ideal for salmon and sewin flies though just too small for salties.
Always make sure the hair length is long enough for your needs before ordering.
I know to mant people that have made this mistake in the past when they wanted to increase there materials kit.
Hope this helps someone to not make this mistake.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Long running issue for me too - there is a shortage in the States too at the moment (long story involving the Chinese buying a source supplier!)

I have hunted high and low and source mine from either local tyers or from bespoke hidden non internet shops in the US (apparently the best tails come from Pensylvania - genetic properties that are localised!)

I have had some really good tails recently that are an absolute pleasure to tie with!

·
Registered
23 Posts
i agre with iestyn veniards is c**p you can 20 the same colour and be lucky to get one good one.
but i do order them from nigel at lakeland with out looking at them and he has never let me down yet.
i have had some nice tails off chevron when they are available and some cracking colours

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I quit dealing with veniards a very long time ago. I import my BTs from America. I purchase once every year or two in bulk. I have just re stocked within the last couple of months.

Quality still varies from one colour to another , the tails seem to respond to different dies in dfferent ways

1 - 8 of 8 Posts