The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When does a kayak become a boat? With all the motor's available now to power kayaks does this not make it a boat? In a boat comp with a kayak section is it then fair to have a kayak with a motor? i think thats a boat so shouldnt be in a kayak section!! this is sure to come up so what do you all think?

Hope that makes sence!!!!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
A kayak is a kayak Nicola. If you sit on it or in it and its got "kayak" in its name or it fits the description then motor or not, I wouldn't call it anything else.

Well, actually , you know I would ;)

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I could arrange a tow with an 80hp?!

As you say ****, scrubbing pad provided F.O.C.

·
Registered
218 Posts
When does a kayak become a boat? With all the motor's available now to power kayaks does this not make it a boat? In a boat comp with a kayak section is it then fair to have a kayak with a motor? i think thats a boat so shouldnt be in a kayak section!! this is sure to come up so what do you all think?

Maybe the categories need to be changed to Powered craft or Self propelled(to include skish).

Would it be fair is someone goes out in a rowing boat which let's face it will be slower than a normal kayak but has to compete in the boat section, then someone comes with a super motored kayak.

Also people might well start entering competitions with Stand Up paddle boards which are neither kayak nor boat.
Oh an is anyone fishing of jet ski's ???

Well that is my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Maybe the categories need to be changed to Powered craft or Self propelled(to include skish).

Would it be fair is someone goes out in a rowing boat which let's face it will be slower than a normal kayak but has to compete in the boat section, then someone comes with a super motored kayak.

Also people might well start entering competitions with Stand Up paddle boards which are neither kayak nor boat.
Oh an is anyone fishing of jet ski's ???

Well that is my 2 cents
See what that woman thing has started more problems !!!!!!!!!! :badlol:

·
Registered
40 Posts

Under marine law power has to give way to sail,

a vessel powered by any means other than wind is a power vessel

so there you have it all yaks are power vessels

Ha Ha Ha

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Surely this is all down to design, shape, build etc. & common sense. It's like saying when does a car become a lorry. There are all sorts of vehicle from the Smart car up to & beyond sixteen wheel wagons. If you put a jet engine in a Smart car it doesn't make it anything other than a Smart car with a jet engine attached surely. You are still limited to to capabilities of the original design of the vehicle or craft.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
The Guernsey Bass open has a section which is Dinghy's and Kayaks together, seemed to work well. I think it was under 16ft and less than 10hp or something like that to allow those who pootle in bays with small boats as well. Not fair to put a 15ft dinghy against a 30ft boat as they can travel a lot further.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
The Guernsey Bass open has a section which is Dinghy's and Kayaks together, seemed to work well. I think it was under 16ft and less than 10hp or something like that to allow those who pootle in bays with small boats as well. Not fair to put a 15ft dinghy against a 30ft boat as they can travel a lot further.
Sounds a fair way of doing it Andy

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yep tahts a good one.
Lets just say non powered boat section = wind surfer and sail,kayak and paddle,body board and flippers , dingy and paddle, mermaid with saddle etc.
and powered motor boat section = anything from the condor to jet ski to dingy and 5hp to kayak with battery powered motor etc

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Kayaks (of whatever description, power or persuasion) deserve their own section entirely. Where have I heard that before?!

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Yep tahts a good one.
Lets just say non powered boat section = wind surfer and sail,kayak and paddle,body board and flippers , dingy and paddle, mermaid with saddle etc.
and powered motor boat section = anything from the condor to jet ski to dingy and 5hp to kayak with battery powered motor etc
I agree. I think its a man/nature powered craft or a motored craft.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep tahts a good one.
I think thats the way to go.

Just out of interest how do they go about it on the Labrex Tour?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts