The Lure Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the fish bite the least !

How true is that.

3 fished last night over 2 good marks, optimum tide etc.

Days of strong easterly and north easterly winds coloured up the sea and left it with 3, maybe 4ft vis in protected places.

I fished the Shimano Diaflash 228 UL-S last night.

I deliberately set out to make it hard, not knowing at the time just how hard it would be....

rod was rung with Ultima Powersteel 5lb mono straight through to various jigs and soft lures to get a 'feel' for the new solid tipped rod.
The casting ability is brilliant from 1g through to 6g + a 3" slug bait.

However:

You don't realise just how much everything works together gear wise until you introduce a weak link. Not weak as in strength but, weak as in 'feel'.

Mono and LRF on a solid tipped rod for jig styles simply, SUCKS ! big time.

After fishing for a while, I felt the tiniest bump...

A nice fish and, the diaflash kicked into gear. It was brilliant.

I soon snagged bottom and breaking out....
Well, what an opera that was...

I must have walked back 20ft and got 5 turns on the reel before the stretch came out. Even then, popping 5lb powersteel was still tough.

We moved marks shortly afterwards and I also switched to braid on the diaflash.

My god, what a difference. It became electric in feel.

Still the fishing was rock hard. 3 guys had fished next to us and blanked and we were heading the same way...

Until these 2 came along.

One on a team of tiny smoke crawdads and one on a 2" One Up Shad.

So, not a very eventful night but, still 3 nice fish. Way better than any blank and I got to baptise my new rod in Pollack fire.

Until later....

·
Registered
357 Posts
Good work again chaps.

What weighting in grems is the Diaflash Keith?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Keith, and the rod! If I hadn't got lucky with the bank recently I'd have tried to grab it before you!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Nice report Keith, its interesting to show that you can fish and catch when we all think you shouldn't be able to. I took on board what you and mark were talking about the other night down at la collette and went out today and scaled down my rod and braid, bought the 7'6 trabucco aori ika, its got a casting range between 2g-12g so hope this should help with the sensitive touch required. Was funny when I left the other night I had one final cast into the tanker basin and felt the "plucking" you described and struck and manage a nice little pollack, I did get a bit over excited about the theory into practice and shouted mark, I think he may have thought I had landed a nice bass instead of a little pollack. lol.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good work again chaps.

What weighting in grems is the Diaflash Keith?
92 grams according to http://fish.shimano-eu.com/publish/...inning/ultra_light/diaflash_spinning_uls.html

Nice one Keith, and the rod! If I hadn't got lucky with the bank recently I'd have tried to grab it before you!
Worth considering Ben but read my comments re: solid v's tubular

Nice report Keith, its interesting to show that you can fish and catch when we all think you shouldn't be able to. I took on board what you and mark were talking about the other night down at la collette and went out today and scaled down my rod and braid, bought the 7'6 trabucco aori ika, its got a casting range between 2g-12g so hope this should help with the sensitive touch required. Was funny when I left the other night I had one final cast into the tanker basin and felt the "plucking" you described and struck and manage a nice little pollack, I did get a bit over excited about the theory into practice and shouted mark, I think he may have thought I had landed a nice bass instead of a little pollack. lol.
I looked at those Jamo. Like my new Daiwa, I think the Trabucco is based on an egi rod and from memory, doesn't it have PE guides ? The 2 -12g is a nice intermediate range btw and I liked the feel of that rod when I was looking at everything in the shop.
Really pleased you have felt that 'pluck' feeling because there will be no stopping you now. This last week has been really hard. Yes, we've caught fish but on a comparison with previous weeks, I think if we hadn't improved as anglers we could have well blanked.
I think it's great you've taken this info on board, like the Guernsey boys because it makes writing all this stuff down so worthwhile.
I take tremendous pleasure from your success. Keep going and pass along what you learn m8. See you in the week and we can swap rods for half an hour maybe. I like to try yours to make a comparison if that is ok.

·
Registered
324 Posts
No problems. I just can wait to start trying these tactics techniques with my bass fishing, its just great to be catching on SP. Oh checked my camera and did get a picture of my first pollack the other night, sod's law and was really funny as had only just put it back and was really pleased as it was a decent size and I swear it wasn't a fishy tale, I had slime and scales to prove it. lol

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just can wait to start trying these tactics techniques with my bass fishing, its just great to be catching on SP.
Yes, works on Bass big time m8. If you can detect 4oz Pollack, a decent Bass may as well jump out of the water next to you.
They've no chance of going undetected.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.