The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a short session this evening just over dusk. Landed 3 bass and 4 pollack, all of which were around the 1-1/2 to 2-1/2lb mark again. I'm not complaining cos I love catching fish of any size, but by this time of year i would normally be expecting to catch fewer but bigger fish, maybe just 1 or 2 a session but in the 4lb+ bracket. what does everyone else think, are we still suffering from the cold winter making everything late, or have I missed the big ones this year?

BTW one local area I know (which is a bass nursery area) has a string of 6 buoys about 100 yds apart and about 20 yds offshore. Unusual place for crab pots, could they be marking nets?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sounds like a net, you should let the fisheries know, if it is pots well no harm done. Better safe than sorry.
I had a short session this evening just over dusk. Landed 3 bass and 4 pollack, all of which were around the 1-1/2 to 2-1/2lb mark again. I'm not complaining cos I love catching fish of any size, but by this time of year i would normally be expecting to catch fewer but bigger fish, maybe just 1 or 2 a session but in the 4lb+ bracket. what does everyone else think, are we still suffering from the cold winter making everything late, or have I missed the big ones this year?

BTW one local area I know (which is a bass nursery area) has a string of 6 buoys about 100 yds apart and about 20 yds offshore. Unusual place for crab pots, could they be marking nets?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Adrian reckon youre a mind reader. My buddy and I have been trying to work this one out and have noticed that a very similar thing is happening to what it was like early on in the season. By this I mean small schoolie bass in numbers and alot of small pollack around too. For the last 3 weeks we have only caught bass up to 2.5lb. Theres still tons of baitfish about and seems to be alot of gars around too but no big bass taking lures. There have been several reports in our local area of big bass being caught by the bait fishing fraternity. This begs the question are the bigger fish switching onto feeding by scent rather than sight targeting baitfish?
I was going to pose the same question on a new thread before I saw this one but it would be interesting to read more reports from others experiencing the same situation?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would echo this where I fish in Dorset. A few fish in the 2-3lb bracket but not seen anything bigger, if anything I have seen the numbers of Bass declining over the last month. (that might just be me). I fishing yesterday had 1 Bass (48cm), 6 Pollack, 1 Mackerel and numerous follows from Garfish. Normally I would have expected to see more signs of fish but it was very quiet - in fact less interest from Bass than any other outing to these marks and there were baitfish everywhere I went. Chatting with another couple of people they said they had had a few small ones but it was nothing like last year!

That was my last outing for this year, change of quarry to duck. (should have had my shotgun yesterday - saw more Teal than Bass)

·
Registered
769 Posts
I was going where you went (I think) Nick on saturday but instead fished further west in Dorset from the shore. I repeatedly had bait exploding before me as they were attacked by bass. Had 3 of 3 and 3 of 4pounds as well as 6 smaller ones. Also had a substantially larger bass I never saw fish straighten 2 hooks after a 3 min fight (yes in future I will replace those cr*P daiwa hooks!). The trend since the millenium has been been for progressively smaller and smaller average size each year as supported by my stats and the stats of most bass fishermen I know. Are we getting worse, the bass getting smarter ....or is the population pirymid just spread wide at the bottom with only a long thin spike going up to the top! If pair trawlerrs continually harvest a big chunk of the breeding sized fish each year such a change is inevitable IMO (and the opinion of many better qualified too).

·
Registered
102 Posts
my mate had a 8lb 3oz bass on the lure last tues when it was rough.but other than that just loads of schoolies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts