The Lure Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have often wondered about this.... There is a river estuary I sometimes want to fish but I am reluctant because I do not want to be accused of poaching or fishing without a rod license. So basically how do you know - how can you find out - exactly where the rod licence requirement starts i.e. where does the 'sea' become the 'river' ?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
From memory it is a grey area however, under UK law, anything that's tidal is the sea....... In London you can fish London Docklands without a freshwater license as long as you target flounder.

In the RoI according to the Gillies I have met, it's based on what they assume you are targetting, e.g. you use a fly to target Salmon and a lure to target Bass. A flying C for sea trout and salmon, a string of feathers for mackeral.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
From memory it is a grey area however, under UK law, anything that's tidal is the sea....... In London you can fish London Docklands without a freshwater license as long as you target flounder.
A friend of mine has has discussions with the EA about fishing for mullet on the River Plym down here. There are trout/salmon in the river but where we normally fish for mullet, although quite narrow, the river is still tidal. The EA said that as long as we were targeting mullet (quite how you prove/disprove that you are targeting a certain species is a grey area as you can catch all kinds of fish using different techniques e.g. mullet on the fly) and we returned any trout/salmon that we caught by accident then we were OK.

On a side note another person that I know (fly fishing for mullet at the same spot) was challenged by someone who said that they were an EA officer & showed ID. Apparently the 'officer' tried to take away the guys rods & gear on the grounds that he was targeting game fish. He refused to give it up & things got a bit heated. The 'officer' said that he was going to call the police & walked away. Anyway the guy I know called the EA to complain about the attitude of the 'officer' & it turned out that he was bogus. I hope that I don't get into that sort of situation but if I did I certaintly would not give up my gear unless the police were there.........

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.

I have been in touch with the inland fisheries authority who have given me a definitive answer.

If it is tidal you do not need a rod licence PROVIDED you are not targeting salmon or sea trout. If you do happen to catch either one you are required to return it immediately. This applies to wherever you might be INCLUDING - interestingly - out at sea. So, if I am out at my haunt fishing off the rocks at St. Johns Point and catch either of those species I should return them.

I know of a lot of guys who have caught and kept many sea trout..... I don't think everyone is aware of this one ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts