The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mind paying out for quality, but of the lighter breaking strain braids, I would really like to get some 10lb. Trouble is, its like being a kid in a sweet shop with more choice than he needs.
Basically, I want a decent quality braid with a nice narrow diameter. Yeah, I can think of a few off the top of my head that I fancy, but having bought the latest, thinnest, greatest in the past and have it keep snapping like a piece of cotton thread, I have become wary in my old age. That said, I equally discovered early on in life, the old adage of "buy cheap, buy twice".
Also, I would prefer a high viz braid too, but would you advise against the use of it because of potential fish scaring? Even tho I fish in predominantly beef soup, as opposed to nice clear seawater.
Finally, what makes and BS of flouro would you, more experienced than I, people recommend to compliment / work well with braids I hope you will be recommending.

Many thanks in advance, Andy

Orignally posted this in the wrong place. Sorry

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Andy I have bought some Yamatoyo SW Super PE 10lb braid and it is very nice. It is a nice thin 4 strand braid. If you want 8 strand then have a look at the Powershot 10lb, which you can get in yellow.

http://www.mrfishjersey.com/fishing-tackle/line-and-braid.html

As for Fluoro I use Seaguar Premier in 12lb with the 10lb braid, & 15lb with 15/20lb braid ...... it is very nice.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Got to be worth having a look at Daiwa 8 strand tournament.
I've been using the 30lb and am really impressed with it. For what I do, don't see any huge benefit in going lighter. Can only imagine what the 20lb is like. I'm using the multi colour accudepth rather than the green.
300mtrs for around £25-27. Bargain.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Andy,
My next purchase will be some YGK G-Soul WSX8 braid, basically I can't find a bad review of it anywhere, they rave about it in Japan and France. A big plus is MrFish has some.
I am currently using Varivas Max Power in 20lb, it has been very good.
Worth bearing in mind that top end 10lb X8 braid is going to be mighty thin!!
Fluro wise, Seaguar has never let me down, even when it has been scuffed badly, TripleFish is not bad either.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I am a bit like you I think, loathe to move on from tried and trusted lines even though you know there is better out there. For that reason I still use Fireline in 10lb. It seems to work well, but is like rope compared to the Yamatoyo I use in the same BS. Very different characteristics from both. I now just use the Fireline where I need a bit more confidence in the abrasion resistance. I use the Crystal which is actually white and like a non hi-vis hi-vis if that make sense. Easy to see but not VERY bright. As for the Yamatoyo compared to the Fireline it is scary thin, I have yet to try any 8 braid yet but will likely get the Daiwa Tournament in 20lb for heavier work.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I am loathed to do this but I literally received this email just yesterday afternoon from Henry Lynham:

"Good news on the Yamatoyo Super PE Famell braid.
I have an endorsement from Pat (works in Henry's shop) on the Famell 30lb which he played and landed a 70lb GT !!!! after a 2 hour fight while plugging from the shore in Mauritius.
Beat that!!!
Henry"

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I have some G-Soul in 10lb on my LRF reel. Super stuff, very strong and incredibly thin. But not that cheap.

For a cheaper but proven alternative get some 0.13mm power pro.

·
Registered
323 Posts
varivas has been known to slipp if your knots are dogey any 8 braid you will pay alot more for but it is the best do you get suffix suffix fuse good line comes in orange as well as grn -or hi-viz yellow what about in the lighter lines 2-10 sunline is flavour of the month here but very pricey
here are a few from dwn under tuff line. rex harrisson.power hunter/ jig man /platypus great line in mono/ bass hard/just afew from the hundreds we have

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyne for your words of wisdom. Certainly given me plenty to think about!
Using a little common sense, I think I am going to need at least two sizes of braid. I dont really want to use 30lb for working over clean sand and dont think that the 10lb will stand up to too much on the rougher areas. As for the decision about which ones tho.... thats going to take a fair bit more thinking about.

Thanks agani tho all :)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I am loathed to do this but I literally received this email just yesterday afternoon from Henry Lynham:

"Good news on the Yamatoyo Super PE Famell braid.
I have an endorsement from Pat (works in Henry's shop) on the Famell 30lb which he played and landed a 70lb GT !!!! after a 2 hour fight while plugging from the shore in Mauritius.
Beat that!!!
Henry"
I'd back up the Yamatoyo as well. I'm trying the Daiwa Tournament at the moment, but before that gave the yamatoyo a good workout. For anybody not convinced by the abrasion resistance on the newer 8 strands, but still wants something supple and thin, the Yamatoyo is a more than perfect choice! A low diameter 4 strand. It happily outcasts the likes of PP. It isn't cheap, but is the perfect middle-ground.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts