The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for some new braid, but I'm not sure which colour to buy.

I've been using green Power Pro, but I find it hard to see on the water, so I was thinking of getting some of the yellow stuff.

The blue stuff would look good on my Quantum rod, but I imagine that it's as hard to see as the green stuff.

Now there's the pink YGK stuff!!!

Can anyone explain to me the advantages and disadvantages of the different colours of braid?

Many thanks,
Tony.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I'm in the market for some new braid, but I'm not sure which colour to buy.

I've been using green Power Pro, but I find it hard to see on the water, so I was thinking of getting some of the yellow stuff.

The blue stuff would look good on my Quantum rod, but I imagine that it's as hard to see as the green stuff.

Now there's the pink YGK stuff!!!

Can anyone explain to me the advantages and disadvantages of the different colours of braid?

Many thanks,
Tony.
I have used the yellow PP for yonks now.
The advantage of the visible colour is immense in my opinion for lure fishing,especially around 'structure' etc.
It allows you to see where you are in the water with the lure and also the fish dont care one bit.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Dont get caught up in worrying about braid colour. The only thing I'd say is that brighter lines make it easier to see in low light conditions, which is obviously a good thing. On my reels I currently have lime green, yellow, blue and red!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm thinking of going for a more visible line, so that I can see where my lure is more easily. Are yellow and red more visible on the water than green and blue?

·
Registered
323 Posts
if tracking youre lures i find pink very good can yousely see right down to your leader on calm days i also youse multi -coloured thats good for most days ie dull-bright
most multi come in 8 wrap and can be expensive but worth the money

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Multi coloured? Is that the stuff intended for boat anglers with the different colours to indicate depth? I imagine that it would be good for indicating casting distance too. Good idea.

Anyone know which brands are available in the UK and where from?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Tony,
The only one that I know is available in the UK would be the Diawa X8 braid (I think it's marked as Accu-depth), Thin, and there are several good reviews of it on here.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Dave,

I've found the 300m spools at veals who also have a similar Varivas line in 100m spools. Anyone know if 150m spools are available anywhere?

I'm still interested to hear peoples opinions of the standard colours of braid (red, green, blue, yellow, pink).

All the best,
Tony.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Jeroen,

I would have thought that red was more visible than the green, but evidently not. Looks like I'll be going for the yellow then. Anyone think that the yellow is more visible to the fish, resulting in less bites?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Pink is very useful in most light.

At night, pink is the most camo colour around.
I'm looking for a pink skishing camo wetsuit. Serious.

Good enough for the S.A.S good enough for me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So does that mean that pink line is hard to see in low light conditions?

Would yellow be more visible at night?

By the way, what exactly is skishing and why is it called 'skishing'?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
So does that mean that pink line is hard to see in low light conditions?
Yes it is. It turns a very greyed out shade that is nearly invisible against the night.

Would yellow be more visible at night?
Strangely not.

By the way, what exactly is skishing and why is it called 'skishing'?
read this http://www.jerseybassguides.com/articles/skishing-r2.pdf

and a few examples ....

Bass: http://www.jerseybassguides.com/bas...1/mission-black-op-s-halloween-on-the-bass-ii

Wrasse: http://www.jerseybassguides.com/bassfish/blog1.php/2010/08/01/rock-skish-hrf-tactics-in-the-water

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Curious! So which colour of line is the most visible at night or in low light conditions? Not that I do much night fishing, yet.

Thanks again Keith, much appreciated.

Tony.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As for skishing...Wow!!

I understood that it involved swimming and wet-suits, but I didn't realise that it involved fishing while swimming! Far out!!

I assume that the 'skiing' part refers to big fish dragging you through the water - even more 'far out'!!

I guess that you must have a certain amount of confidence in you fitness and swimming ability.

I also assume that a Van Staal or similar reel is essential.

Thanks for the link Keith - a real eye-opener. Any videos on You Tube?

Tony.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Curious! So which colour of line is the most visible at night or in low light conditions? Not that I do much night fishing, yet.

Thanks again Keith, much appreciated.

Tony.
Dark colours like Power Pro stand out in the night. 'Stand out' being a relative term but it is visible in silhouette against even a very dark sky.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So we're back to the green actually being the most visible at night? Doh!!

At this rate I'm going to need another reel (or two)!! I bet that you've got a few!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Dark colours like Power Pro stand out in the night. 'Stand out' being a relative term but it is visible in silhouette against even a very dark sky.
Thanks. I'll take that as a relevant reply to my recent thread about fishing in a full moon, cause I wasn't getting very far at the time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts