The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wondering which make flouro you use and what size.

I used Verivas last year and i found that occasionally the albright wouldn't work correctly with it. I don't think I am tying the knot incorrectly, but it would occasional slip through. I changed from using the Verivas braid to power pro and that helped a lot but still happens occasionally.

Cheers

Hywel

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I don't trust the Albright, I use a double Uni with the braid doubled over first. I lose loads of gear off the boat but the breakage is often nearer the lure and I get some leader back. If it can take that much pulling it's the double Uni for me.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hywel, i was using Berkley vanish transition fluorocarbon. but have now switched to seaguar, which seems to be quite good.. just need to get out and use it a bit more often..

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I am going off the albright pretty quick too, its great for heavier uses like wreck fishing and general boat angling. I once again must agree with the Saint again and agree the uni to uni albeit a bit of a bigger knot than the albright , is indeed a better knot for what we do.

·
2,560 Posts
Is the uni - uni prone to catching weed, on those weedier days? Or is it litterally just bigger than an albright? Any knot improvement is always gratefully recieved.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
I am going off the albright pretty quick too, its great for heavier uses like wreck fishing and general boat angling. I once again must agree with the Saint again and agree the uni to uni albeit a bit of a bigger knot than the albright , is indeed a better knot for what we do.

Do you have a video for that knot ? (uni to uni )

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Personally, I like the Albright but not on a braid --> fluorocarbon connection.

for plugging connections and knots where i'm concerned about pure knot strength I've switched to using a bimini in the braid and either an inside uni knot or other barreling connection on the part of the FC.

For quick and easy, with strength, uni --> uni is great until..

We start using silly leaders with super fine PE lines.

I'm looking into the various ways the Japanese are dealing with these lighter braids as they have much wider experience of using such lines whilst still retaining a decent diameter leader.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Is the uni - uni prone to catching weed, on those weedier days? Or is it litterally just bigger than an albright? Any knot improvement is always gratefully recieved.
Mike,

I use at least 5 turns on the mono uni, which if you get the knot to stack right means the tag lays parallel against the braid. Nipped off tight it seems OK weed-wise, but weed is a bugger and finds the smallest changes in diameter in the line, even on LRF stuff.

With a Uni I feel safe trimming it tight, because if the tag does get pulled through there are at least 4 more turns as back up.

I am not saying the Albright is a bad knot, it's just not for me.

·
2,560 Posts
Cheers paul, i'll have a go with that on one of the reels this season and see how it fairs. Thanks for the info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts