The Lure Forums banner

Which leader line

8K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  Antonios 
#1 ·
I'm going to start using a longer leader,at present I am using 20lb j-braid and a short leader of about 2 feet.I fish mostly metals and soft plastics.
What line manufacturer do you recommend for rough ground what strength and what length for a 9 foot rod. Or should I not bother with a leader.

#2 ·
What I use on Rough ground is Berkely Trilene Flouro in 20-25ib . At first, I was bit dubious about using a Cheap Flouro , but was recommended it by a fried who fishes a lot of Rock marks and I really like the stuff for the price and is quite tough . I can get a Spool of it round here for a £5 , no point wasting expensive Flouro on snaggy ground .

#4 ·
I'm a Seaguar fan myself. It's not cheap, but a spool lasts ages. In clear water I think that the b/s makes a big difference, so typically modify the b/s I'm using in conjunction with the conditions and ground. I fish the 15lb most frequently, going to 19lb as a max normally. I do use a 25lb version on very rare occasions. I have been cut-off a few times by big fish, but I trade that off in my mind against an increased catch-rate fishing lighter.

Keeping an eye out for chaffed leader, and scuffed main-line is usually the best way to avoid line failures (along with using good knots).

#5 ·
I've all but given up on using a leader in Scotland, too many issues with knots breaking, leader snapping and I've been fishing some horrendous marks. I seemed to have more success without as well.
Having said that, now I've moved back to southern England, the marks are a lot easier so Seaguar for me or might go back to Amnesia as never had issues with that. I guess it depends on the day and conditions.

#6 ·
I use trilene and ygk. They're both pretty good. If you use the fg knot with bimini finish it's fine going through the rings. I usually use around 5 or 6 foot, which gives you a good few re-ties and scope for cutting some off if scuffed. I find with this leader knot and length i'm retying leaders far less often than with other leader set-ups.

#7 ·
I use Seaguar mainly, purely because it was recommended to me years ago, and I haven't had any problems with it since. I use the 15lb and the 19lb one mainly. I did get some 12lb ish quite a while ago that I believe broke suspiciously easily, but I binned that and just use the heavier stuff now.

#8 ·
Never had any issues with Trilene or Amnesia. Even used black Amnesia last year to see if there was any noticeable difference. There wasn't on the mark I was fishing. Also used various other spools of mono I had in different bags. Don't see the point in spending a fortune on expensive fluorocarbon for lure fishing in the briney.

#18 ·
Seaguar ace mostly and a 2mm Riverage ring, uni either side, leader length I vary. I stocked up on Seaguar red label when in the US last year. It has a slightly higher diameter, was a great price there and on 100 yard spools, knots really well. Tried Rio, didn't like it, took a lot of moisture and didn't pull down as well as either Seaguar.

#31 ·
I generally want a bit of a rubbing leader to take a few scrapes and a little of the rough where I generally fish. Braid straight to lure would be asking for trouble for me. I don't think the 2 foot or so that I use will have much of a stretching or cushioning effect when a fish is hooked.

#33 ·
+1 for Seaguar and I love Toray too but.....

Amnesia is great - on a recent very poorly planned session to the Purbecks I forgot my fluoro wallet ( yes, I have a special wallet for line - I'm a tart!). Only had a spool of black(!) Amnesia in the car after a recent Chesil Beach bait riddled plaice mission (blank!) and it got me my best haul of the year fishing belly weighted senkos over the reef at dusk.

No scientific knowledge applied just desperation and a shed load of luck. I'll transfer the spool to 'the wallet' for the 'if all else fails and I'm desperate' scenario but I'll still probably use the Seaguar or Toray as the go to leader material.

#35 ·
I'm going to start using a longer leader,at present I am using 20lb j-braid and a short leader of about 2 feet.I fish mostly metals and soft plastics.
What line manufacturer do you recommend for rough ground what strength and what length for a 9 foot rod. Or should I not bother with a leader.
for rough ground at 20lbs I would recommend STROFT ABR at 0.35mm, only!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.