Which leader line | Page 2 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Which leader line

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Bass

Plus one for the Seaguar, definitely the best out of what I've used. Two or three feet tied with a double uni knot outside the guides works for me. If snagged and need to break off the Seaguar always snaps just above the clip which is helpful. Tough as nails I think because it's 100% flurocarbon and not coated.

2. Guest

Could be a slight advantage with amnesia as it is quite stretchy and could help to prevent hook pulls.

3. Blenny

A little bit of stretch when fishing for sea trout is s great help when they sre close to the net.

4. Pollock Supporting Member

The amount of stretch that 20lb line would give over a leader length, with most fish we are catching, would be tiny. Would it make a significant difference?
    Now if you were using a lighter nylon mainline...........

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blenny

Still got my head in the beach casting leader mold. 1.5 x rodlength.

6. Pollock Supporting Member

That's not for stretch though is it? Heavy line there is to take the strain of casting 4-8oz of lead with a lighter mainline. Our leaders may be lighter than the braid, or about the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Guest

even a short length would have more stretch then flouro .

8. Blenny

No its not for stretch but after 40 years of very long leaders it a hard habit to get out of.

9. Guest

Many use short leader but i like a decent length between me and the lure , flouro isnt forgiving . Reading this thread has given me food for thought regarding a little bit of stretch ..

10. Pollock Supporting Member

You wont get enough stretch to make that much difference, unless you go the mono mainline route, and lose the "feel".

11. Perch

I generally want a bit of a rubbing leader to take a few scrapes and a little of the rough where I generally fish. Braid straight to lure would be asking for trouble for me. I don't think the 2 foot or so that I use will have much of a stretching or cushioning effect when a fish is hooked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bass

Ditto. Also a vote for Triplefish if u can find it

13. Wrasse

+1 for Seaguar and I love Toray too but.....

Amnesia is great - on a recent very poorly planned session to the Purbecks I forgot my fluoro wallet ( yes, I have a special wallet for line - I'm a tart!). Only had a spool of black(!) Amnesia in the car after a recent Chesil Beach bait riddled plaice mission (blank!) and it got me my best haul of the year fishing belly weighted senkos over the reef at dusk.

No scientific knowledge applied just desperation and a shed load of luck. I'll transfer the spool to 'the wallet' for the 'if all else fails and I'm desperate' scenario but I'll still probably use the Seaguar or Toray as the go to leader material.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Blanker

Hey guys, about the berkley trilene is this the big game version? If not do you guys rate the big game 20lb flurocarbon? Thanks.

15. Blanker

for rough ground at 20lbs I would recommend STROFT ABR at 0.35mm, only!