The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps,
Sorry if this has been covered before but i did a search and couldnt find an answer.

I am thinking about getting one ot these lures and believe they come in 2 sizes.
What I want is the one that will cast the furthest with my Teklon 802ML.
I like to use the 105mm Mag slider- it is one of my better-casting lures and I have absolute faith in it, so I dont want a Patchinko if it only casts the same distance as that or marginally more, but do if it can be launched significantly further out giving me a more rangy topwater option.

So, given all the above can I ask for peoples opinions on which one I should go for.
Colours aswell please as its always interesting.

Finally, if there is alternative topwater lure I should consider (especially if its cheaper) please advise?

Thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Pretty much 3 sizes Ian. The Patchinko, the Frosty & the Baby Patchinko. If it's casting distance that you want though, i suppose it's the Patchinko that you want rather than the other 2. I can only seem to catch on the Baby Patchinko (in Nacre), so i'll leave it to others to suggest colours, etc . .

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi Ian the frosty works best for me. The Patchenko 11 cast like a bullet but the other 2 types also cast very very well.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ian, the full size patchinko does indeed go a mile. I love the 105mm Mag Popper and it casts really well, but the Patchinko will get you out much further. The Z-claw also casts very well for a 20g lure and I prefer it a sa lure to the patchinko as it is more quiet and versatile in my opinion. I think the Jersey boys love the patchinko so myabe they are worth speakign with? As regards colour, I have the Ghost Yellow but I am not sure it is the most effective pattern.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Rapala,
If your only interested in distance then the Patchinko2 at 26g is the one to look at. The mag popper does cast well, but not in the same bracket as the Patchinko 2. As long as your rod will handle 26g properly. Colour wise-take your pick, I favour the more natural colours (500G, Cabot) others do just as well on the Yellows/Bone colours.

Personally I would have a very good look at some of the reports on here of the patchinko 100, before you dismiss it. If you fish any calmer waters, sheltered bays, estuaries. Then I would seriously think about a patchinko in each size. I have had ALOT of bass this year on the 100 size, bass love it. Several other members results have mirrored mine.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers so far chaps...
So,...
Patchinko 100 100mm 11g
Frosty II (Baby Patchinko?) 125mm 16g
Patchinko II 140mm a whopping 27g

and now..

Z-claw 100mm 20g

Given the 27g PII will outcast its 2 lighter versions, will it outcast the Stealthier Z-claw?
...and will the 20g Z-claw outcast the 18g Mag?
I like stealth, but I can feel my wallet creaking, and my Rrse twitching.

Keep em coming please...

Cheers,
Ian

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rapala,
Personally I would have a very good look at some of the reports on here of the patchinko 100, before you dismiss it. If you fish any calmer waters, sheltered bays, estuaries. Then I would seriously think about a patchinko in each size. I have had ALOT of bass this year on the 100 size, bass love it. Several other members results have mirrored mine.
OMG.I knew this would happen!!
;-)

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Up to you Rapala,
Just letting you know. But if it is a distance lure you want the Patchinko2 130mm/26g will do what you want. Just be careful if your belting it down wind-it REALLY gets out there.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers Tunny, really appreciate the advice (off all)
Its looking like the P2 but I doooo like the look of the Z-claw too so thanks for that matey.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Cheers Tunny, really appreciate the advice (off all)
Its looking like the P2 but I doooo like the look of the Z-claw too so thanks for that matey.

I :wackit: the Z-Claw !! I admit to having a bit of a 'thing' about it, and i have it in about 5 or 6 colours. If i was buying just one, it would be the Mullet. If i were buying 2, i'd have the 'Pink Lady' also. It's more than just a surface lure, as it can easily be worked 'just' sub-surface also. It seems to have a shape/bulk about it that attracts the fish. My fav moment on a Z-Claw was when a 6lb Bass took my Mullet version in about a 12" of water 12ft away from me !

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
The large Patchinko feels very heavy for its size to me. It casts a country mile, but I wouldnt use it on the rod I use for most of my hard lures now. Its ok on my Shukan (15-40). I worship the Patchinko 100 though, for its fish drawing capabilities and casting distance considering its so diddy. Colourwise, I dont really bother getting to drawn into it, but mine is kind of lime green. I'd be confident in any colour.

And I couldn't possibly comment on the Z-Claw, as I have managed to avoid buying one thus far!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I admit to having a bit of a 'thing' about it, and i have it in about 5 or 6 colours.
Ok. Just realised i am in denial. A quick mental count reveals i have 8 colours in it, plus a medium size, plus a magnum :roll:.

"walks away whistling" . . . . . . . . .

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I love the way you can work the Z-claw so very very tightly,for me this is its best feature,especially when worked 'mega slow slow'.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Cabot Patchinko and it's the only lure that I've used so far that even has the birds fooled into thinking it's a real fish! On two occasions it has been attacked by gannets. Luckily and thankfully the gannets and I got away without any real harm being done on both occasions as I persuaded them to drop the lure with a bit of a freak out from the shore!!!:aarrg:

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
I have never caught on mine :-( but they don't half go miles Ian, especially after you hear that CRACK

·
Registered
150 Posts
there's a yellow one properly washed up in wales a present from me in north devon which i cracked off on the cast, i'ts only about 15 min's old
I NOT BITTER ABOUT IT:bangin::bangin::bangin:
i did catch my first surface bass last week on a baby patchcinko black/silver
i,ve got a 802 and the small one i a surprisingly good caster

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'd like to know guys,what's you're No. 1 choice of lure to fish with, .I'll admit mine is the Patchinko. No2 has to be sluggos or snoop. Come on lads open up, let it flow.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts