The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last 15 years I have been using Black Red Gills and Rapala Slivers sprayed black for night fishing sessions from boat and shore for Sea Bass however I would like to try some other lures.

What plugs or soft plastics can any forum members recommend to try?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Being completely honest...

dark colours on dark nights, etc etc...

All that US Striper Lore...

Yes, at first, it does help to focus your efforts to the rules of...

Dark Night = Black or Blurple (Black / Purple)
Broken Moon = Yellow or Yellow/White
Full Moon = Silver or White or IME Chartruese.

However:

When you become really comfortable night plugging, you'll throw allsorts and catch.
I still use alot of the neutral or natural colours and the Mega Bass lures with their detail are awesome in the dark.

Fish see lures just fine even in low light levels. And feel em, and just know, where they are.

Don't get too bogged down in it.

Recently:

Soft lures:

Pumpkins, Watermelons, Purple and Dark Blue have been my goto night SP colours.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,

With the lures you mentioned do you have to use a slow retrieve speed? as I have to slow right down with the red gills and slivers.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for the info Keith !

Are surface poppers any good at night?.....Done well with them in daylight and dusk but never connected with a fish in the dark or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I've personally done best with shallow runners worked slow like the Chase BW and Terrif DC12, they work only just under the surface or create a slight wake. The bass love it.

Last autumn I moved to SP's in current but I was using natural colours and patterns which were near as you could get to the baitfish which were known to be pushed through the current.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Many thanks for the info Keith !

Are surface poppers any good at night?.....Done well with them in daylight and dusk but never connected with a fish in the dark or am I doing something wrong?
Never done any good with poppers full stop at night. Small schoolies maybe..

I've personally done best with shallow runners worked slow like the Chase BW and Terrif DC12, they work only just under the surface or create a slight wake. The bass love it.

Last autumn I moved to SP's in current but I was using natural colours and patterns which were near as you could get to the baitfish which were known to be pushed through the current.
Andy: conditions allowing, waking is awesome in the dark. Just subsurface, an 1" even, makes all the difference.

SP's are proving to first class in the dark.

In fact, plugging and SP's night v's day...

No contest. Night everytime for me.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Never done any good with poppers full stop at night. Small schoolies maybe..

Andy: conditions allowing, waking is awesome in the dark. Just subsurface, an 1" even, makes all the difference.

SP's are proving to first class in the dark.

In fact, plugging and SP's night v's day...

No contest. Night everytime for me.
I must admit my biggest fish was in the dark on a SP thinking about it........

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I mostly use Dexter fishing lures for day plugging and have served me well since they introduced them a few years back,they are quite cheap to buy, so regarding the more modern lures I want to make sure I get the right type and brand before I buy as they are quite expensive.

·
Registered
779 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow nice fish that Tom,

I am intrigued on how the bass sense these soft plastics at night as they dont rattle or create much of a wake like plugs do...anyone care to elaborate on this???

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hi Gary

For the little I know;

Xlayers do have little rattles in their tails (not tiny xlayers though), the ribs on them do create a water disturbance. They smell as long as kept in original packet (fresh works best IME). Also fish have keen vision, certainly better than mine.

Hope this helps

Gary

·
Registered
779 Posts
Wow nice fish that Tom,

I am intrigued on how the bass sense these soft plastics at night as they dont rattle or create much of a wake like plugs do...anyone care to elaborate on this???
Oh the xlayers do have a rattle ;)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Wow nice fish that Tom,

Lures don't need rattle, light or paddle to be detected by fish in total darkness.
They find em just fine.

Lateral line takes care of that and the micro pressure waves and displacement caused by the lures presence in the water.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts