The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm trying to match the local baitfish and recently noticed the local mackerel appeared to be feeding on what I assume were whitebait fry. They were 1-2 inches long and plain white. Can anyone suggest something that would be a good match? I assume that small white SPs, such as those at AGM would be the best idea. Anyone know of anywhere else I should look?

Also, I'm currently using a 7 foot, 10-30g Bushwhacker at the moment. Would I need to get an ultralight rod (1-10g) for using such small SPs? What weight of jig head should I use?

Many thanks,

Tony.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

Nigel, sorry for all the questions. I'm supposed to be studying physiology, but as it says in my profile, 'anything to avoid studying'! The holidays are coming and I can't stop thinking about the fishing. Those Yum lures look the business and the jig head looks ideal. I assume that I would need an LRF rod??

Mike, I didn't know that they did weighted redgills. I'll check them out.

Thanks for your help guys,

Tony.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Big Tones

try the smallest dexter wedge you can get which i think maybe 7 or 10g. I had a lot of fun with a 1/8oz Kastmaster and an u/l rod when the mackeral are close in. The Kastmaster is very similar to the dexter, very nicely made. I used to get then from 'Rok-Max' ..not sure if they still do them though.

cheers
tony

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aahh, go smaller!!

I tried a wedge and a toby in 28g but no joy. I had to resort to using the feathers (boo, hiss)!

I get the distinct impression that I'm going to have to get an ultralight rod to make the most of the mackies.

Thanks for the suggestion Tony (splendid name, by the way),

Tony.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is worth trying a teaser set up. A 1-2oz dexter wedge or plug can be used as a casting weight at the end of the leader with a small lure on a dropper 3ft or so up the line.
I like the small white delta eels (65mm I think) in the UK and small flies or sabikis also work.
I remember one day on Cape Cod when I caught 12 stripers in an hour- 1 on a bomber 16a, 1 one a heavy metal lure and all the rest on a small white redgill eel. Without the dropper it would have been a much less special day!
Worth a go.

Ollie

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Get a fly rod!

Or, I have the same Bushwhacker for my HRF rod, and am comfortable using 5g head not including lure weight. More comfortable on 7g, but still ok. The important bit will be having a decent light braid to accompany the set up.

Teaser is also a good idea, or use small unweighted SP's on a Bombarda. Tricky to cast long hooklinks on a 7fter though, as the back of my head will tell you.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

Alun, Interedsting looking lure. What is it about it that appeals to you? I can't even walk the dog properly, so I might struggle with it.

Oliver, I've considered using a teaser before. Would that be the same rig/set up as I saw in one of Mr Fish's videos? a foot of line in front of the teaser tied to the main line? Use teasers often?

Andy, another nice looking SP, if a bit big. How would I rig it? That picture in the corner looks different to anything I've seen before.

Mark, Fly rod? I'd love to, but it might have to wait a while. What weight of rod would I need for the mackies? I'm under the impression that a 9' 8wt is usual for SW, but if that's suitable for Pike then I assume that I could get away with lighter for mackerel (and schoolies, for that matter). What do you mean by light braid? I'm not sure about the pink stuff (YSG??) but how about 10lb Powershot? And what's a bombarda?

Thanks again guys. You've given me a lot to think about. I think that I may have to investigate this LRF caper a bit more.

All the best,

Tony.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Tone, if you have look at jerseybassguides blog you'll find a lot of info on there that Keith and Kev have passed on. That's a start...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that Tim. It's one of those sites that I have been meaning to spend some time on. Some real Jems on there. I'm sure that I'll be on there frequently over the next couple of months.

Tony.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Tones,
Give **** a shout, I got a couple of 5g Halco Twistys from him. Deadly on mackerel, noticed the other day he has some of the small TackleHouse jigs as well, I have caught well on the 9g sliver/white.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Dave,

Do you think I could cast those 5g Twistys on my 10-30g Bushwhacker? Would the 10g still catch mackerel?

Looks like I'm going to have to get an LRF rod.

Do you have a link for the Tackle House jigs. Had a quick look on Mr Fish but can't seem to find them. I assume that I could use the Bushy for these!?

Thanks again,

Tony.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Andy, another nice looking SP, if a bit big. How would I rig it? That picture in the corner looks different to anything I've seen before.
I rig them with a size 6 long shank (Mustad 3261BLN normally), carolina style with a split shot or 3 to get casting weight up and depending on tide run.

The pollack certainly love them!!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Tones,
If you have a look at the LRF section on MrFish's website, the small jigs are all there.

http://www.mrfishjersey.com/lrf/metal-lures.html

As for casting 5g off the bushy, I did it last year, the distance you can achieve will depend on the thickness of the line/braid you are using. But the 10g Twisty will work just fine. Just keep the drag on your reel light, otherwise their is a chance you will tear out of the mackerel during the fight (delicate mouths).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the advice Dave. Very helpful.

I'm sure that most of the LRF section was empty when I looked recently...curious. Some intriguing stuff in there. I'm definitely thinking about a lighter rod now. That will be the second step down in weight in a year...where does it stop??? How about a hand line???

And thanks for the advice Andy too.

All the best,

Tony.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone had any more suggestions for whitebait fry imitations to use with my 7' 10-30g Bushwhacker. Any small white lures or SPs that I should know about?

Many thanks,

Tony.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts