The Lure Forums banner

Who fishes abroad?

2K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  Sam Roche 
#1 ·
Right then ... I know there are a few people who fish abroad here - some dedicated (like myself) and a few who just take the travel rod a handfulk of lures ... lets have a hands up in class!

who goes on dedicated trips abroad for fishing and who slings the travel rod in the suitcase past the nose of the fishing patrol officer?

#8 ·
Well I have fished overseas, a fair bit :muttley:
Grew up in Australia, just a casts distance from the beach, And have fished pretty much ever since.
I used to work for a Tackle company which opened the doors to a lot of venues.
So I have fished:
Australia, alot of central America, carribean, cuba, the states saltwater warm and cold (although not much in freash water), the far east, russia, south america and a little slatwater in africa. I have mainly been a light tackle/fly fisher in these areas. Done some big game stuff as well but really that is in Australia and central America.

#9 ·
mrfishjersey said:
Off to Norway in June with another 12 guys, cant wait, Super Mix will be bent to max with any luck. Hoping to go somewhere hotter later in year or 2011.

Good stuff Mick will have to get a few tips off you before we go spent a week up there last april but the fish were to deep for the lighter gear but it will be the supermix all the way in August hopefully. really looking forward to this years trip..

#10 ·
I always take a rod on holiday or working away. I have fished in Australia, Japan (only once), US many times, Ireland, Tenerife, France, and Sweden. I can blank with the best of them too! Most of my fishing is secondary to the holiday or work but I do as much research as possible beforehand and usually catch something. Family/finances mean I rarely go on 'proper' fishing holidays.

#11 ·
Fished a couple of the Canary islands,lots of places in the med,visit Alderney for at least one week each year,been to Norway a couple of times.In march i'm off to Watamu in Kenya 4 day safari,2 or 3 days on game boat,a few morning sessions on the skiffs,snorkeling,sunning,drinking & eating in between.June to Rost in the Lofoten islands to try & see if one of us can get a Norway grand slam,100Lb Halibut,50Lb cod,30Lb coaley!Weymouth comp in september hopefully to meet a lot of you guys.October Alderney angling festival to try & stop Dick Smith winning best C.I. angler again.
In between all this i will be working 12 hours a day to pay for it.
:)

#12 ·
As long as the missus doesnt see me pack I normally take a lure rod where ever I go. Canaries was tough, Maldives (no fishing from shore but it would be too easy) was great, Mauritius saw my first Barracuda. Fancy a trip in 2011 but would also like a go at boating in Norway....

#13 ·
I always take a spinning and fly rod on my travels. But with limited success. All inclusive package resorts usually aren't the best places. Managed a few fish each time though in Cuba, Sri Lanka and Aruba.
Just booked Mexico for next month, so the research begins.

Oh and Steve, it's an even number year. See you in October :twisted: ;)

#14 ·
When I visit my folks in France, I try different places, all freshwater, but caught zander and trout mostly. After black bass/largemouth? proper next time. I went to the Basque region as well this year and blanked, but such beautiful fishing scenery check gave d'oleron (I think).
Stupidly thought as the premier salmon river down there I'd be in with a chance :lol: flying 'c' doesn't work all the time :lol:
Plenty of barbel, like in shoals of 20 a time.

#18 ·
Hello everyone,
I have visited the Bahamas for a fortnight for the last 4 years fly fishing for bonefish, this is an organised trip by Bonefish Adventure and is mainly DIY fishing for bones, no guides and the venue is Eleuthera. I have tried lure fishing for grouper and barracudas when I am out there but so far i have landed nothing, cut off on the coral by grouper and not setting the hooks properly in the cudas. The cudas in clear water are very cagey when taking lures, you get plenty of follows. has anyone had sucess with cudas? all my fishing is from the shore. i have also been a regular visitor to Alderney, Guernsey and Ireland but mostly in the past fishing for mullet

#19 ·
I prefer fishing in water that doesn't freeze my nuts off at 5.30am now that I'm the wrong side of 50.
Almost exclusively fish with lures for anything really, but have a liking for any of the jack / trevally family.

Off to Tobago in a few days and looking for Tarpon, snook, jacks and bonefish.

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Steve

#20 ·
steve pitts said:
I prefer fishing in water that doesn't freeze my nuts off at 5.30am now that I'm the wrong side of 50.
Almost exclusively fish with lures for anything really, but have a liking for any of the jack / trevally family.

Off to Tobago in a few days and looking for Tarpon, snook, jacks and bonefish.

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Steve
That sounds awesome Steve - may your drag sing with a high pitch !!!! :horsesword:

#21 ·
Nigel A,
Cuda's love them or loathe them (when nail something intended for another fish)

Fast worked tube lures (12-18") in green, or chartreuse, cast 20' or more to the side of the cuda and a little beyound it if you can, and then crank it in hard. Keep the rod tip low and pointing towards the lure. Keep your drag relatively light, when you feel the weight of the fish (not see the take) lift into it, normally good hook set in the corner of the mouth.

1, 1.5 and 2oz Johnson minnow spoons, rigged on about 12" of wire. I fish them with a fast lift, and then let it flutter down. Most takes are during the lift.

Poppers, for me the most successful popper has been the good old yo-zuri Hydro Tiger, but the 105mm size. Best fished off the edge of flats into deep water, exspect takes as the popper approaches the shallow water, transparent colours seem to work better than solids or silvers.

and when all else fails 8" live mullet under a popping float :muttley:

#23 ·
I spend a fair bit of time working in NZ, Aus, Far East, Middle East and the U.S Eastern Sea board from New Englang down to Florida my four piece rods always go with me, many of my clients fish so I've seen plenty of action that said I still enjoy getting back and fishing off the coast of South Devon, its really were I chill out ,camping on the side of an estuary with my sons or a mate, go fishing, build a fire, drink beer we are due a good summer.....fingers crossed!

#24 ·
I fish abroad.

Well I'm from and I live in abroad lol, in this case, Portugal.

I mainly fish the West and South West (Alentejo) coast and Tagus (Tejo) river estuary zone.

In the summer sometimes I go down south to Algarve (you british guys may know it cause of turism), that zone has some really stunning fishing spots mainly in the area around Sagres (western tip).

#26 ·
Almost 100% pf time they don't check them, well at least fishing in beaches or spots that don't have a lot of movement.

I only got checked once in my whole life! Actually I've only seen the maritime police (the entity responsable for checking licences, catches, etc...)!!!!!!!!!

Most of us portuguese anglers get really mad at this cause we do pay our licence (12 euros a year for a national wide licence) and the there's not a single bit of control of the bass stocks (and other species).

Our shore is free to loot....I wish we would have a decent law about sport fishing and preserving the resource that is bass and other sport fish like you guys and the Irish, French, American, etc... have!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.