The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After grand plans of going out plugging to my usual mark early Sunday morning to catch LT (I failed, bed was too comfortable after a late night on Friday) I went there in the afternoon instead. I got there a couple of hours before HT. Instead of where was best to fish it was a case of where could you fish. I'd looked on Magic Seaweed to see what the swell was like. It predicted 4ft+ of swell (could I plug there with sea that big?:-? ). When I got down there, the prediction was dead right. Bugger I thought, I should have learnt from the last time I went down there in similar conditions. Still, there was no wind to speak of & the sun was shining.

I'd made the effort to come across from Plymouth & walk down so I thought I'd have a scout around & choose somewhere where

a) I could stand &
b) I was not going to get swamped by the swell

After picking out what I thought was one likely spot & promptly getting soaked a few times by the swell splashing on the rocks I moved on. Only one thing for it - to pick somewhere reasonably high above the water & use the heavier plugs in my collection. After a bit of a jaunt along the beach I picked out one of the only spots that I thought it possible to fish from. I went out first with a red & gold Jackson Athlete Slim 14SS. A quite bright plug & relatively heavy I thought would be ideal for the conditions.

After my 2nd or 3rd cast, bang, fish on. Not a biggy but with the sea moving about all over the place the little blighter was up & flipping above the water. Keep in contact with the fish I though but to no avail, I saw it throw the hook right in front of me. Gutted. I thought in these conditions that would be my only chance of getting anything. However my luck was in. A few casts later I bagged my first schoolie of the afternoon. After detaching it from the hook back he went to fight another day. Some 'internal congratulation' & jubilation then followed

:jump::horsesword:

I then thought "Yep, that was good but where's Mummy & Daddy?" It turned out that Mum & Dad must have been shacked up somewhere else coz they were not out to play. 10 to 15 mins went by before it was time for a change.

On went my Rudra S by OSP in Lancon (a coppery sort of colour). Over the next hour or so it was one long procession of action. The tip of my rod spent most of its time arched over as I tried my best to play some schoolies on a drag set quite light. 4 more schoolies caught & released, another one throw the hook right in front of me & another 1 or 2 bites registered but no take. I was blooming chuffed by the end of that little episode.

One thing that became apparent though was that 3 treble hooks on a lure & a lively, jumping bass do not really mix. The bass would take say the back treble but then with all of its flipping around would end up getting impaled on the other trebles. It made it a bit of a nightmare unhooking them. I contemplated removing the middle treble but thought that this could affect the balance of the plug so reverted to just crushing its barbs to make unhooking a tad easier. It worked!

I then moved along & tried another couple of spots having a play around trying a couple of poppers. Not much good. The sea 20-30 yards in front of me consisted of a boiling mass of white water. Too lively. The water then started to colour up & that with the heavy swell still rolling in I decided to call it a day.

I then went home with a massive smile on my face & also to bag a few brownie points with my other half for getting home early. No monsters but with 5 fish landed & plenty of contact with 'the ones that got away' it was one of my best days plugging so far. I love this lure fishing I do:-D:-D:-D:cool:

Cheers all

Toby

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nice report and well done for getting out. I was out Saturday at an estuary mark and had no action at all, so gona have to get back over the Tamar and take the long old walk down one of Whitsands paths. You seem to be doing really well mate and you're obviously enjoying it the way you should!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Well done Toby, cracking report and a really enjoyable read. Catching fish and getting your confidence up is what its all about and it sounds like you had a great session. Well done for persevering sounds like the conditions we encountered on the Saturday morning at the Weymouth comp when we met up, as I recall we gave it a go then as well. Really pleased for you mate as I know a lot of people myself included have found it tough to find any Bass over the weekend regardless of size.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Toby! I told you that one day soon you'd have a bumper session out of the blue!! Well done!! :D

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well done for beating the conditions, Toby. Five fish landed is an excellent session in anyone's book.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Great stuff Toby. Always nice to do well when initial thoughts are that it could be hard work.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for all of your congratulations chaps. Out again at the weekend, well looking forward to that, or perhaps I can sneak a session in during the week telling my beloved....."Darling, I'll be working late tonight.....":lol:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nice one mate, will do. I fish with Marq's cousin, so will have to arrange a little meet up

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Think the conditions are telling you something to be honest matey. It was rough... you caught! Wouldn't have it any other way around here :)

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
toby it's quite obvious that you were destined to catch bass on lures after winning all that gear at bens opening .another great report and catching session from you well done .would be nice to hook up with you before we share a weekend together at the cornish bumble mate.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Great report. Conditions like that often beat flat calm and clear water. The bass just love turbulent water and as long as the weed isn't too bad you stand a good chance of catching.

Nick

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Ur doing well Toby! I'm having a really lean time at the moment, can't even tempt any pike on the river either. The mrs is having a weekend away this weekend so I've got 48 hours to change that!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts