The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right new to baitcasting went to the beach tried over the head as you see on tv it was hell lol.
So got back in watched loads of vids casting help, side flicking so out side I went with 12g lure after I took the hooks off, spinning the lure round and on the second turn letting go. My god it went and went mint.
So how many on here use a bait casting reel? And how do u flick yours?
Thanks
Alan

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will do James. It seems like I will take a long time to master but it should be fun.
Just interested to know if any One uses them as baitcasters seen to be a dirty word in UK for bassing lol

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Baitcasters are employed by some anglers and bait finesse is gathering some momentum among HRF anglers, Personally I think if you enjoy fishing that way then its all good.
For my marks I cant see it offering any advantages in real terms. If you're pitching and flipping into holes or fishing up against structure I could get it, but I don't so......
I can't see you getting the same kind of distance either and therefore the ground you cover will be limited.

That being said, I have never really used them and know close to jack, I could therefore just be talking out of my arse.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i have switched to BC fairly recently on my wrassing/hrf setup, and i think its ideal for this application. if you after some more info, have a look at Pauls blog-link above- or RocksishingRevolution.

one "dis-advantage" is distance.... it will never cast as far as small spinning reel and light braid, so keep that in mind if you thinking about switching. if you new to it try spend some time with someone who uses em often, will short cut the learning curve/frustration BIG TIME!
Enjoy!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have used them for years (at least 20) for bait and casting metals , I've even used them for float fishing for Pollock and Mackerel .
If you want distance then you will have to learn to cast smoothly , models with magnetic breaking are best as you can adjust the breaks
more easily to suit the weight of lure and the wind whilst fishing . You can of course just use heavy breaking but this will cut down your
casting distance and remember to try to keep your line tension consistent otherwise you'll get overruns .
When I started using plugs for bass I fished with a bait caster , I've since decided I prefer a fixed spool although bait casters are better
in a heavy cross wind , I hope this helps . cheers , Ray .

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Ray

---------- Post added at 08:17 ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 ----------

How do you cast you bait caster as I say I went out thinking this will be easy over the head lob and it went to my feet lol

·
Registered
479 Posts
This is not an easy thing to talk you through you must start at a very basic level .
Just for starters pick a spot in the sky at an elevation of about 40 degrees , smoothly
and slowly make your overhead cast , releasing the spool when you reach this point
and take it from there , practice , practice , practice and it will come , BUT it will take
time , as Neil say's it will easier if you go with some one who is proficient with one .

·
Registered
464 Posts
Baitcasters are great if you want to use heavier mono or fluoro. Try using 15lb fluoro on a spinning reel and it will have to be a monster of a reel to work at all. I would think 15lb fluoro would be my first choice if I were fishing at reasonably close range with weighted plastics in and around rocks and kelp for wrasse, based on my largemouth fishing experience, though have never tried it as I don't live close enough to that lovely west country water to test it out!

Fluoro gives much better slack line bite indication and isn't blown around in the wind like braid.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking forward to getting out tomorrow and giving it a go my misses is going mad at my casting in the house lol I have took the hooks off god lol
And the cats are loving it

·
Registered
528 Posts
I do, badly, like fly casting it is something I just cannot get my head around. I am still trying though!

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I use one in freshwater (a 2009 Abu Revo STX). In my opinion if you have used a normal casting multiplier in the past you will find a decent baitcaster a breeze. The casting controls are amazing on a modern decent spec baitcaster. If you have not used any multipler in the past you will need a little more practice but will soon get there. Just keep the controls relatively tight at the start and don't get ahead of yourself too quickly! Flicking lures out with a baitcaster will soon become second nature. But I would suggest that you spend some money on the reel if you can. You can get away with the cheapest of fixed spools but a cheap baitcaster can ruin your day. Also I wouldn't suggest you have your first session on a windswept stretch of open coast. Find somewhere relatively sheltered.

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
557 Posts
I use one in freshwater (a 2009 Abu Revo STX). In my opinion if you have used a normal casting multiplier in the past you will find a decent baitcaster a breeze. The casting controls are amazing on a modern decent spec baitcaster. If you have not used any multipler in the past you will need a little more practice but will soon get there. Just keep the controls relatively tight at the start and don't get ahead of yourself too quickly! Flicking lures out with a baitcaster will soon become second nature. But I would suggest that you spend some money on the reel if you can. You can get away with the cheapest of fixed spools but a cheap baitcaster can ruin your day. Also I wouldn't suggest you have your first session on a windswept stretch of open coast. Find somewhere relatively sheltered.

I disagree with that so much. A mid-range fixed spool Shimano will probably be fine but the cheap ones are awful. Eventually the bail arm stops closing on the turn of the handle and the line lay is crap, not to mention the line can spin its self around the spool which causes all kinds of problems, especially if you don't notice it and then get in to a fish. I wouldn't pay any less than £40 for a fixed spool, for any kind of fishing.

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

...and with the amount of abuse a reel will go through while lure fishing, it would make me want a 'cheapy' even less. I have a Shimano Nexave 4000 reel, had it for years but that's seen better days. I am thinking of upgrading to an Exage for the lures, and then later a Rarenium once proficient at casting and working the lures.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Fair enough James you are of course entitled to your opnion. You mention the line spinning on the spool are you using braid without some mono backing or tape? You also mention probs with the auto bail arm. Especially when using braid it is best to manually close the bail arm and make sure there are no loose coils of line before starting the retrieve. You can also pull some line out against the drag. Also keep tension on the line at the start of the retrieve. All of this will reduce or eliminate tangles / wind knots and should prevent the line getting under the spool. I hope this may help.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Fair enough James you are of course entitled to your opnion. You mention the line spinning on the spool are you using braid without some mono backing or tape? You also mention probs with the auto bail arm. Especially when using braid it is best to manually close the bail arm and make sure there are no loose coils of line before starting the retrieve. You can also pull some line out against the drag. Also keep tension on the line at the start of the retrieve. All of this will reduce or eliminate tangles / wind knots and should prevent the line getting under the spool. I hope this may help.

You have totally missed what I was getting at - totally my fault as I didn't explain it properly.
Have you ever had an issue where the line doesn't lay on to the spool, instead it gets tangled/caught under the spool its self. You could call it a wind not, but it isn't..... it's a crap quality winding mechanism on the spool and it is very, very common with 'cheap' fixed spool reels. It also happens with monofilament, so braid would make it a thousand times worse. I bought a 'match' waggler rod and reel combo a good few years back.....the rod is great, the reel is shite.... and it is that exact problem. Whether or not you should manually close the bail arm or not, a bail arm that won't close automatically is piss poor IMO, again, very common with cheap fixed spool reels as the bearings are designed to last for a grand total of 5 minutes.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Have to agree with Walter -anyone can cast using a cheap FS reel (agreed they often come with other issues)- cheap baitcasters are a nightmare to use. With a quality baitcaster they can be set up for anyone from novice to expert to cast comfortably.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like I say just starting out at bait casting I had the brakes set about number 4 on a grauvell duke L.
Try casting at 1 on the brakes first cast was spot on second well had to stop it mid air as it went a bit mad lol
Back in the day of bait fishing with the big rods always used multipliers.

Do you lads use braid on your baitcasting reels? I am using 10 lb mono at the mo

1 - 20 of 31 Posts