The Lure Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Glad you're enjoying it Alan. As I said you can get a little over confident with these new reels at the start as they seem almost impossible to birdnest. And they are. Almost that is! At least I found that with the Revo STX. But you will soon figure out how far you can push it. I have used mine (for freshwater fishing) with 20 and 40lb standard 4 strand Power Pro braid with no issues.

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
130 Posts
braid,mono or flouro carbon all cast nicely on bc. i pesonally wont ever go over 0.35 in mono or flouro-usually 0.32 the thickest. mono is a good starting point as its cheap as chips, if you do end up with a nasty birtdsnest you wont have to shed any tears at cutting away £40 braid! that being said, keep the brakes/mags on a reasonably high setting until you are " proficient". once you are more confident, dial em back a bit until you find that spot where you getting satisfactory distance but not struggling to control it too much. then i would say make the switch to braid- just dont go tooo thin! 20lb is a good starting point, i have used suffix 832,stren sonic,power pro,castaway,ygk x3(currently) and of course good old powere pro. all performed very well and i found it no more difficult than mono/flouro- just as i say dont be tempted to go to thin-20lb minimum for me or pe1.5 minimum in new money.

imho braid is the best all round choice and better suited to most conditions. the only time i favour flouro over braid is fishing very close(inside 20m) and relatively deep with softs-hrf style- there it has the edge for me over braid as sinks fast and as previously said transmits slack line bites very well and doesnt balooooon away in the wind lol!
mono- good for learning as its cheap!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've used BCs and spinning reels side by side for 30 years and I'd summarise baitcasters pros and cons as follows:

Pros:
1. Accurate casting, be that overhead, pitching or flipping
2. Handling heavier line, braid/mono/FC better than spinning reels
3. Handling big lures (I'm thinking pike)
4. Manhandling strong fish in snaggy areas
There are exceptions to some of the above (like popping) where spinning reels are better but this doesn't apply for most of our normal fishing

Cons:
1. Not great for lure distance casting
2. More PT when wind is blowing anywhere but from behind
3. Possibility of a trip-ending overwind (walked 2 miles to your mark and didn't take spare line)
4. Not great with normal bass braids, i.e. PE lines 1-1.5. From PE2 upwards better

Based on my time in Ireland, I was never in a situation (bass fishing over sand, mud or rock) where a baitcaster would have been the best choice except some really tight messy stuff around Hook Head and on an island off Wexford I fished once - under 5% of my fishing time.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks lads very informative replies there.
I know you don't get the same distance as a FS reel but would a longer rod help to get a bit more i am using a 6ft rod at the mo 3.5g to 14g
How long is yours?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Can't help you there Alan but agree that if distance is important a fixed spool is the way to go. Shore casting (beach) multipliers are a different story. For what it's worth my freshwater baitcasting rods are around 6.5 feet.

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks lads very informative replies there.
I know you don't get the same distance as a FS reel but would a longer rod help to get a bit more i am using a 6ft rod at the mo 3.5g to 14g
How long is yours?
I'll leave someone else to point out the potential double entendre - a longer rod would certainly help - I know some local guys who tournament fish for FW bass and use BC exclusively - they are moving to longer rods - 7'6" to 7'10" to improve distance and hooksets - loath though I am to say anything good about most USDM tackle you would be better off looking in the US for such rods - most Japanese bass sticks are a bit shorter for fairly obvious reasons - probably 3-4" and 2-3 stone difference between average US and Japanese bassers! Of course the Shimano Exsence BC and matching rods will deliver nearly FS performance but at quite some cost!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.