The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been (sad as I am) thinking about why we don't see more Daiwa reels mentioned on the forums. The Branzino's etc get a mention in every high end thread, but Daiwa actually make a wide range of very, very suitable reels in all price ranges. To rival the likes of the Technium there is the TD-R which is an amazing reel at pretty much the same price. It's the countries top selling coarse reel by a mile, whereas the Technium enjoys much less success. The same goes for reels above and below that price range.

As saltwater lure anglers are we just not told enough about them? Or do people really just not like them? Or haven't they tried them? Internationally, in saltwater spinning, the mid priced Daiwa reels are extremely popular.

Are we missing a trick?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Good question - personally I have always been a Shimano user - be it high end mountain bike kit or reels ... over the last 30+ years I may have had a few Daiwa reels but recently the high end Shimano's have proved themselves fantastic workhorses ...

This debate also continues as Dogfight vs Stella SW ... the Daiwa loses ground on a few points but I won't harp on ... Stella is king ;)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Ben,ive just posted on another thread about the shimano i use.Gettin pixxed off with it.I clean it,Lube it but wants it takes a bit of heat or water it goes grungy.Its an effort to reel in ,not just me but rob suffers the same.One daiwa reel that can challenge that end of the market is the caldia,lovely reel with good size spool for a 4000.I know its not daiwa but the abu soron i use is bomb proof for the money,maybe slightly heavier than the technium but id take a thousand lashes for this little bugger,awesome little reel and im going to buy another 3 if i can,cheers daz

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Know what you mean Daz. I have the Soron and Cardinal 804 before it. Both still going strong. The Caldia is one really worth noting. Really, really good value for money! I'd go for the 3000 though personally.

Alex, so much is down to personal preference isn't it. Altough apart from just considering the top of the line stuff (all of which are amazing on both sides), its the middle and lower stuff that I wonder why we don't see more of. Most are actually more suitable for saltwater than the equivalent Shimano's are.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
You're right Ben, personal preference and experiences. Cannot say I've had any experience with spinning size reels from Daiwa but the larger beach caster mid range reels are awful. I've had 2 very bad experiences with them when kitting out my son dreadful quality and ended up throwing them both in the bin. That sort of experience does make you a bit predudice against them. Shame really I suppose because I'm probably missing out but it's hard to forget bad experiences like that.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Know what you mean mate. Although I don't think I've ever been a fan of any big fixed spool to be honest. I grew up using shimano and Daiwa reels in coarse situations only, so lighter reels have always been my thing. Tis funny that now I'm lure fishing and have spent so much time looking at tackle around the rest of the world, only now it becomes clear that the majority of Daiwa reels we are sold in the UK (that are targetted towards our coarse anglers) are pretty much just spinning reels! As a coarse angler I assumed the kit I was using was ultra modern and made for float or feeder fishing. Turns out that Daiwa just reworded the sales blurb and sold me a middle of the road spinning reel from somewhere else in the world. Definitely saves them any development costs. It's not a negative either. Positive in fact, now that I'm lure fishing at least!

To be honest, I just like the Daiwa reels and honestly think they should get more coverage, as the same reels do over the rest of the world.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Nothing wrong with Daiwa reels!........ Very overlooked piece of kit to tell you the truth.......My Shimanos are plying second fiddle at the moment as I currently use a Daiwa Oceano 4500 as my main plugging reel as the drag system on it is far more smoother than the Shimanos and it was originally designed for speed jigging and believe it or not it casts just as well.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Ben,ive just posted on another thread about the shimano i use.Gettin pixxed off with it.I clean it,Lube it but wants it takes a bit of heat or water it goes grungy.Its an effort to reel in ,not just me but rob suffers the same.One daiwa reel that can challenge that end of the market is the caldia,lovely reel with good size spool for a 4000.I know its not daiwa but the abu soron i use is bomb proof for the money,maybe slightly heavier than the technium but id take a thousand lashes for this little bugger,awesome little reel and im going to buy another 3 if i can,cheers daz
Yeah my Stradic is horrendous after every slight splashing now, I might stop buying lures for 2 months and buy a Van Staal....

Big fan of Daiwa lures though!

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
I bought a Team Daiwa Fuego 3000A recently from the States, and although I've not used it yet, it does seem very nice. The thing I liked about it was that it has a sealed drag, and comes with a spare spool, which is a bonus.

http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=439

I know Vidar has one and is impressed .... so that was a good enough recommendation for me!!

I wish I had gone for the 2500 now though.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Rob said:
I might stop buying lures for 2 months and buy a Van Staal....
:shock::shock::shock::shock: As long as that Rob..:wink::wink:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I bought a Team Daiwa Fuego 3000A recently from the States, and although I've not used it yet, it does seem very nice. The thing I liked about it was that it has a sealed drag, and comes with a spare spool, which is a bonus.

http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=439

I know Vidar has one and is impressed .... so that was a good enough recommendation for me!!

I wish I had gone for the 2500 now though.
I have 2 of those in the 2000 size Nick that I use for LRF stuff. Very, very nice, super lightweight. I believe they may be the US version of the Luvias, but don't hold me to that.

A lot of the cheaper Daiwas also have the sealed drag, down about as far as the Caldia I think?! - which is one of the obvious reasons why they're actually so suitable! Most from about that point up also start to include at least 1or2 CRBB bearings as well! I'm not sure the equivalent Shimanos do?

Exactly Darren. There are actually Daiwas at all price points that compete.

Anyway, I'm sounding like a true Shimano hater, even though I'm not. They make quality reels too. Just questioning why we don't see or speak more about the Daiwas when the products are equally, if not more suitable in some cases. It's always confused me a bit...

Ps. I'll be saving for a VS or ZB this year as well. I need to get in the water!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Have used my bradia a few times now & love it. If it is as reliable as I hope it should be I think it's a winner for the money.
Someone in the Daiwa marketing dept. really needs to spend some time on forums like this to realise the potential for the products they already have in their range.
How many of us have bought from overseas? Doesn't show on Daiwa UK sales so they assume that there's no demand.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Have used my bradia a few times now & love it. If it is as reliable as I hope it should be I think it's a winner for the money.
Someone in the Daiwa marketing dept. really needs to spend some time on forums like this to realise the potential for the products they already have in their range.
How many of us have bought from overseas? Doesn't show on Daiwa UK sales so they assume that there's no demand.
Absolutely spot on observation :clap::clap:

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I used to be a Shimano man and have been for decades.
Then I decided that I needed to open my eyes and properly check out the new Daiwas.
I invested in the Branzino and I think its the best reel that I have ever seen,real quality product that has a great bail arm (compaired to shimano's) and the perfect retrieve rate.
It feels like you are holding a 'solid nugget' in your hand and their is totally no back lash in the gearing,like you get sometimes in even high end shimanos.
For next year I will be looking to invest in a smaller high end reel and the certate looks perfect.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Interesting stuff guys. It's certainly opening my eyes to the possibilty of looking at and trying Daiwa again. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
The problem for me, is that i broadly 'understand' the Shimano range. That is, i know where each reel sits, and it's generally accepted pro's & con's. Therefore when i buy a Shimano, i know what i'm getting & where it sits in my tackle range.

However, for whatever reason, i havent got a scooby-doo about the Daiwa range. Other than the Branzino's, i would have no idea where any other reel would sit.

If someone can be bothered (Ben ? ;)), a quick guide to the Daiwa range would be great. Ideally with an indication of there they sit against a broadly equivalent Shimano. I'd have a general idea of where to start then.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fully understandable Si. That's kind of my point really and what I expected the reasoning behind the lack of Daiwa's to be. It's not the angler's fault, but more Daiwa's. They're getting better, but still under estimate the wants and needs of lure anglers.

I actually want to sort a full list of Daiwa options and compare them to the equivalent American and Japanese models so that we have kind of a definitive list. It may take a little while though.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I have used both in the past but now only use Daiwa. Part of that is due in no small part to having top end Shimano bike parts wear out in stupidly quick time. I eventually came to the conclusion that Shimano seems to favour form over function in some cases. Something I can't afford.
As for the reels in the cheaper and mid range price levels I have had reels from both manufacturers, looked after them well, with very few problems. Of the higher end stuff, I am still using Daiwas that i bought almost twenty years ago. Look in the US at the Daiwa Tournament SS1300. A bit archaic by todays standards but totally reliable and speaking to a few guides in florida when on holiday confirmed how good they were. Some were six years old and spent 250+ days a year on the water.
Now I tend to buy top end Daiwas knowing that they will likely last me ten years or more. A good investment in my book. I use a TDZ2000CU (8 years old), A Certate 2500 (JDM, six years old) and a Branzino for all my (fixed spool) lure fishing. It is definitely cheaper in the long run to buy a better reel and then look after it. Apart from the odd drop of oil, there has been zero cost to maintain.
As for Daiwa UK, I think a lot of their employees are in the wrong job. They have no idea what people want in this country, they are diplomatic in listening but then take no positive action and we end up chasing around the world for US or JDM products. On that note a lot of the US products are 'detuned' facelifted JDM products. You get what you pay for, if it is cheaper, there is a reason for that. Normally, still very good though.
One last point, Shimano target markets and I think they have the best marketing in the world. Shiney things sell very well and there is no doubt Shimano make very attractive reels.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Ive always been reasonably impartial when it comes to both brands and although Shimano are proberly still keeping their noses ahead sales wise. It seems the Daiwa ones are maybe lacking due to stock holding and availablilty? But it seems no matter how many Daiwas get mentioned or sought after, Shimano always seems to maintain the higher sales ratios between the two.

Now there could be slight change in the tide and Daiwa could perhaps start picking up existing and possibly new Shimano customers with the price increases Shimano has introduced and with the added interest in the Daiwa Real Four family.

Maybe if Daiwa removed the possible Stock Availabilty issue who knows...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts