The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does it matter if its raining or been raining if u fishing off coast rocks etc just not heard of any one fishing these conditions be intresting hear if u can still catch as im die hard these dont put me off fishing but does it put fish off biteing thanks . rod

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Apparently it can have an effect in places like estuaries, where there will be excess fresh water coming out into the salt.

As we dont have any rivers as such in Jersey, the only way rain affects me is that it makes some of the rock I climb down very slippy!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Not in my expereince, Rod unless you are fishing an area which is heavily affected by increased river water flows. It tends to flatten the water surface in general. I do wonder though whether the sound of teh rain on the surface would mask the noise/vibrations from some lures especially surface lures? Main thing is to look out for is slippery rocks. I've been caught in a thunder storm before and been almost unable to get back up the way I came as the rocks were like glass when wet!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I've caught good Bass in pouring rain. I dont think it matters. Besides, if you couldnt catch Bass in rain, you'd never get one in Ireland - so that probably is proof in itself !!!! :D

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I have caught at night in the rain on topwaters, caught during the day in rain, by only subsurface.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Open sea I don't think it makes a bit of difference really, subsurface.

Estuaries, its often only a few days after the main rain occurs that they fill up with freshwater. It probably depends a lot on the estuary currents, bars, swell (if any) and how much the fresh and saltwater get mixed together as a result. If there is little disruption to the flow of outwards freshwater, then it will sit above the saltwater below it - so in theory the deeper, lower layers could well be almost unaffected (and still properly salty) (time for diving lures of softbaits?!). Tide ebbing... tide flooding.... I know the local estuary here doesn't fish too well when it's been full of freshwater. Fine for flounder, but not too much else. Saying that, bass get caught literally miles upstream and are one of the few species round these 'ere parts that can cope quite nicely in freshwater. The bad fishing probably has more to do with the fact that the extra water is either a) pushing the smaller baitfish (etc.) further out to sea, or b) that the increased amount of sediment coming down the river is just generally making the fishing harder?! Blimmin hard to know really. I would say that it just as probable that the food source doesn't like the extra moving fresh water as it is the bass don't like it. I think there's often quite a long chain of events with things like this and the answer will pretty rarely come from the fish we're actually looking directly at.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks well think ill give it ago next time as sounds like u guys have caught in all weathers so sounds good next time tides are right rain not put me off thanks guys

·
Registered
66 Posts
rained off!

hi rod
i mostly fish estuarys and ihave found (and the popular opinion amongst the local lug chuckers ) that heavy rain can affect the fishing for upto three day after, it even affects the marks that the local private boats and charters fish too, so i would say that rain water can affect results. i,m not sure why but it may not be because the influx of "fresh" water.
however as i,m fishing around essex which has 3 major rivers, the thames, crouch, and blackwater, i think this could be a problem that only occurs locally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts