The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often read that people are awaiting a change in the wind direction before venturing out, easterly winds seem to prevent some from bothering at all !

What I don't get is how wind can be so influential.

I realise that wind causes waves and appreciate that waves influence fishing, but the wind generally needs to be force 3 / 4 + to cause waves and on many locations significantly stronger.... preventing plugging anyway.

Even if the waves are rolling in from the "wrong" direction there are headlands or rock crops to shelter behind so why worry about wind direction ?

I suppose what really confuses me is when I'm diving, once you're under water the wind direction is insignificant, its the current which really affects things..... why should a fish be any different ?

So come on educate me , is this wind direction thing overblown ? and what's wrong with an easterly ?

Cheers

J

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Julian,

I am pretty new to this, and have still not made my mind up about what all the old boys say round here 'wind in the East, stay in the pub'. My recent bass fishing success has been dire, and it is associated with a predominantly Easterly wind but mostly I have been putting this down to the cold winter, but that excuse is wearing a bit thin now!

I think the main possibilities in my mind are the things that wind direction is associated with: High air pressure, a possible drop in temperature, alteration in current flows, higher sun brightness, changes in wave size and direction, increased water clarity are all possibles for 'wind from the East' having an indirect influence on the fish. I will be interested to find out what the proper experienced lure fishermen on this forum think a about this, cos it has been on my mind a fair bit recently...

Cheers, Bruce.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
As I was told the other day by an old (80+) angler

When the wind is from the West, the fish bite the best.
When the wind is from the East, the fish bite the least.
When the wind is from the North, the angler shouldn't venture forth.
When the wind is from the South, it blows the bait into the fishes mouth.

All to do with atmospheric pressure, temperature etc I presume

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
All those fish I have had in NE winds must have something wrong with them then!!

All mark dependant in my opinion. Wind in your face or thereabouts is my motto.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
All those fish I have had in NE winds must have something wrong with them then!!

All mark dependant in my opinion. Wind in your face or thereabouts is my motto.
I agree, I don't live by those old saying. One mark here only produces in a Southeasterly big blow which is right on shore.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have a couple of places that are only fishable on an east wind (otherwise theyre too dangerous to fish) - caught often on these marks on an east tbh

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
One of my favourite marks is best on an easterly as well - which is actually offshore and does go slightly against the grain for a lot of marks close to me. I think it's impossible to really judge the whole country or planet by one saying. An old guy living in the South West may have a totally different set of conditions and sayings to an old guy living in the North East - opposite onshore/offshore for example. All totally different, although both would claim they're right. Plus the old 'west is best' theory just happens to rhyme and probably comes from times when we actually thought the earth was flat.

I have a feelin around here that the offshore winds after a couple of days do blow fish and food out to sea. Also creates cleaner waves of coarse which just aren't as smashed up and bassy as an onshore blow would produce.

Winds will affect the currents too, and even make a big or small tide actually bigger or smaller depending on the wind direction. Offshore winds can keep the water from reaching a maximum level, while an onshore blow can actually help to raise the water level slightly (by 10cm or more).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Its all to do with pressure zones. But it does vary from coast to coast. Any beach will fish better after a good onshore blow as it will rip up worm beds and shell fish. the fish know this so no mater what LIGHT wind is blowing after a good blow the fish will move in to mop up the dead and dying. But if there is high pressure so much the better IMHO.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Its all to do with pressure zones. But it does vary from coast to coast. Any beach will fish better after a good onshore blow as it will rip up worm beds and shell fish. the fish know this so no mater what LIGHT wind is blowing after a good blow the fish will move in to mop up the dead and dying. But if there is high pressure so much the better IMHO.
Thats kind of what I was going to say but you said it much shorter and better than I would have Dave.

When diving and snorkeling on easterly winds the water was beautifly clear, but we rarely saw or got near to any decent fish (except wrasse, they seem to just take cover). I thought it was down to the air pressure wit easterly winds, its usually a high pressure on an easterly around here. I too have some marks that will fish well on easterlys, but it is harder generally. My favorite wind direction for where I fish; no wind, light sw or a 2-3 nw.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Over here on the Lanc's/cumbra coast any wind between west to south fishes well. But best with a bit of surf on. Flat seas a bit on the dead side.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I believe wind can have a serious effect.

But...

I also believe Jersey isn't so affected in places due to current being the largest factor in bait movements.

In NE USA they swear by East winds. Why...

Turn around that "When the winds in the west" phrase.

We swear by west winds, off the Atlantic. It's warmer generally.

Well, on the Striper coast, those winds need to be Easterly.

If you have winds locally with current on the flood in certain area's, it can fish it's nuts off.
conversely, wind with current on the drop often see's fish drop way behind the threshold zone and shore anglers miss them.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
You know I used to think the water was clear on an easterly because there isnt much water between here and France, so the bottom cant swell up like a good westerly coming in from the atlantic. But I then hear that even ponds can go clear on an easterly, so I then put it down to pressures. Maybe the fact we are in the lay of France here does have something to do with clarity??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that cleared that up then !

Thanks for the replies which I think show that there's no hard and fast rules regrading wind direction, although there's a link with pressure .....which I find equally confusing bearing in mind the weight of water relative to that of air.....

As I'm keeping a log one day (once I've caught more fish) I'll be able to make sense of things on my patch

J

·
Registered
268 Posts
Julian just think about it for a minute. The weight/pressure of air is 16lb per sq/inch. If I remember my school sience lessons lol. Its what stops us floating off into space. Now think about the surface area of water. Every sq/inch of that surface has 16lb per sq/ins on it. Its a lot see what I'm getting at? Hope it makes sense?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Julian just think about it for a minute. The weight/pressure of air is 16lb per sq/inch. If I remember my school sience lessons lol. Its what stops us floating off into space. Now think about the surface area of water. Every sq/inch of that surface has 16lb per sq/ins on it. Its a lot see what I'm getting at? Hope it makes sense?
Hi Dave

I understand this , but the effect of air pressure reduces with the depth of the water.

Depth ATM Mb P.s.i.

Sea level 1 1013.25 14.7

16.5 ft 1.5 1519.88 22.0

33 ft 2 2026.5 29.4

It you take our normal range of pressure 950 mb - 1030 mb , this converts to 0.94atm - 1.016 atm or 13.77 p.s.i. - 14.9 p.s.i. at sea level which is a very small variance compared to the huge variance in pressure once a fish decends under water (doubling every 33 ft ).

My point is that atmopsheric pressure effects fishing due to its effect on the height of the tides and the weather systems (high usually = good weather , low = bad) and not the additional weight to the water column.

Of course I may be talking boll*cks !

J

A

·
0 Posts
Hi Dave - we don't float off because of gravity :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts