Wind knots at night | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Wind knots at night

Discussion in 'Tackle & Tips' started by {name}, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Pollock

Last Monday I had my second outing of the season. I started fishing at 03:20 hours 10 minutes later I had my first bass of the season. Small and cute I'd call it, under 1lb. Ten minutes later I had another of a similar size but, dropped a few yards out.

I fished for another ten minutes with high expectations. It was then, that I I had the first of many dreaded wind knots. I also lost a brand new IMA Born 98f and a pearl feed shallow.
    I was cursing the new savage gear 20lb braid I was using.

The braid was gun smoke grey, I think - with a waxy feel to it. The braid was cheap at 13 quid.
    I'm like "see what trying to be cheap has cost you" two lures lost and bang on fishing time, dohhhhhh.

Now, upon reflection - thinking a lot about it - perhaps it wasn't the braids fault, may be it was mine. That evening I was determined to fish in complete darkness to enhance my chances of catching so early in the season.
    I couldn't see what state, my line lay was. I was also using a Shimano exchange, another cheapish item - I thought I'd use this because I expected to sea splash. I thought it might take a few dunking's and didn't want to expose my more expensive Calidas to the elements, so early in the year.

I would be interested in any tips you have, that, have prevented or minimised wind knots during your outing's.

Cheers all.

2. Minnow

I always place the bail arm back manually and then with the drag set right pull the braid out about 4-5''. You will be amazed at how many times you feel you've just pulled a loop out !!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bass

Well done on getting off the mark Paul. Were you using the braid for the first time? What was the weight of the lure?

From my limited experience I find it best when using freshly wound braid on a reel for the fist time I will put on a fairly heavy lure for the first few casts so that the braid beds in. I don't know it was this with you but is a possibility.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pollock

The more you go at night the easier it will get, just try to keep the braid tight. Cheap braid can also be a problem. I like good old power pro at night, hassle free and not that expensive.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. Guest

Night fishing Imo you need to have perfectly balanced smooth running kit or just a set up that you are well used to using. Even with top end balanced kit if your not totally dialled into to it, night fish can be more than challenging. My best tip when starting out is if there is any kind of cross wind forget it, no wind or straight on is best especially if fishing weightless plastics. If your on open clean ground then a light cross wind may be ok once your accustomed. Top result with catching a couple Paul :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tarpon

What style were you fishing ? If you were lightly 'waking' the lure at all, and losing line tension on the spool, (or casting into a strong headwind) it would be the most likely reason.

That said, if it was a really shyte braid, like a Fladen braid or similar, that would also explain it. Some braids are next-level shyte, and exceptionally bad value for money.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Striper

Simons first question is very important, if you are casting up tide with a surface lure and letting it drift with the flow you have very little tension as the line is is going back on the spool .After 4-5 casts try digging your finger tips into the line on the spool and if it feels spongy you are getting close to having a knot. Its all about line management and you need to tighten it up again,on your next cast either do a fastish retrieve creating more resistance or what i do is cast out and as i retrieve very slowly to just keep in touch with the lure(so still actively fishing) i hold the line between finger and thumb. That will give you another 5-6 casts before needing to be done again.

Re the exage,try NOT to get water of any type inside,they dont like it..............but are great reels for the money, thats what i was using on Monday night when i had 4 fish. Also i have to say the YGK g soul upgrade i got from Billy is performing beautifully since i started using it last year, not a single knot.......touch wood !

Back to lure type,if using a shallow diver at night you should be getting enough tension to avoid knots but no harm in doing the occasional fast
    retrieve to tighten things up.

well done getting off the mark !

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Pollock

Like Paul P I close the bail arm back manually and then pull some braid off against the drag and despite doing a lot of waking I haven't had a wind knot for a very long time.

When I did suffer with them I found that I tended to get more after putting new braid on but it settled down once I'd cut a bit off so I put that down to me over filling the spool.

One other thing I do is to use decent quality braid like YGK G-Soul or Daiwa Evo Tournament but that's just down to personal preference.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Pollock

Thanks for all the reply's I will most definitely be employing the said tips. Let you know how I get on near the end of the season.
    Much appreciated,
    Cheers all.