The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i just got a rarenium 4000 and varivas max power braid....20lb
was wondering if any you guys alter the winding shape, i would imagine a conical fill with widest at rear, this automatically leaves a lip on front spool, like we supposed to leave...

also... what is the best way to load line, tie line to spool etc???

never gave much thought but wanna do the best i can this time... remove potential probs...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
hi all, i just got a rarenium 4000 and varivas max power braid....20lb
was wondering if any you guys alter the winding shape, i would imagine a conical fill with widest at rear, this automatically leaves a lip on front spool, like we supposed to leave...

also... what is the best way to load line, tie line to spool etc???

never gave much thought but wanna do the best i can this time... remove potential probs...
Personally, on my stradics I have the toothed washer and one thin plastic washer....this gives the reverse cone shape and my braid is filled to the brim.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Sorry to be dumb but i'm sure you'll be gentle...

What the **** are you on about?? You mean somehow altering the reel to adjust the line lay like when I spool a multi I bulge the line at both ends before filling evenly to help balance in casting?? How can you do that in a f/s reel??

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

What the **** are you on about?? You mean somehow altering the reel to adjust the line lay like when I spool a multi I bulge the line at both ends before filling evenly to help balance in casting?? How can you do that in a f/s reel??
Ah Andy, the joys of multi, but we're on about FS mate. Some reels allow a different line shape to be attained with different amounts of washers on the spindle.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts

A question well put Andy, get straight to the point !A man after my own heart !!!:muttley:

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Ah Andy, the joys of multi, but we're on about FS mate. Some reels allow a different line shape to be attained with different amounts of washers on the spindle.
I knew that much... OK, so this makes the spool ride higher (or lower) making the line lay in a different way. Just never heard of it being donw with a f/s before.

Question is though, with lure fishing, will it actually make much difference to say casting distance?

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Its only on front drag reels you can do this, and I always prefer a flat line lay, I have found banking the line front or back can be a nightmare with braid, it goes slack if it slips on the slope if you know what I mean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts