The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looked on Windfinder to get a rough idea of what the winds maybe like for the comp next weekend. Fri night thru to Saturday (that's as far as the forecast goes at the mo) does not look good. Min F5-6, gusting F8, S-SW. I'm thinking/assuming that if these winds do turn up then fishing would be pretty 'interesting':shock:?!

I'll have a scout around on some other weather websites to see if they're saying the same thing

Fingers crossed that as it's nearly a week away that these are pessimistic forecasts. However if it looks like that that the forecast for the weekend will consist of winds like this does the comp still go ahead? Do the organisers take a view on say Thursday & say yey/neigh to the comp going ahead or will it go ahead whatever the weather?

Cheers

Toby

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Metcheck giving 9-10mph winds SSW swinging through to W sat evening.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Metcheck giving 9-10mph winds SSW swinging through to W sat evening.
thats strange dave, how 2 sites can give such conflicting information. perhaps that goes to show that they really don't know what they're doing. like mike said we'll see what they're saying midweek about next weekend

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
No point worrying until Wednesday - forecasts will be changing all week! My biggest worry will not be the fishing, but pitching a tent on Friday! It was like flying a kite last year as I recall. Despite a big blow on the Thursday/Friday there were still plenty of spots to fish safely, even though Chesil was too rough until Monday.
And if it's REALLY bad, we can go the pub and talk about fishing instead :)

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Big winds or no wind, we will have the same conditions. So I see no problems for the comp regardless of what the weather does.
It will be a blast no matter what the weather throws at us.

·
Registered
849 Posts
BBC prediction for Friday night is a bit worrying at the moment, heavy rain and thunder storms. Not worried about the rain but dont fancy holding 9' of Carbon with lightning around :(

Lets hope they got it wrong as usual!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Biggest worry for us in Jersey are the sea conditions thursday night, if its to rough the ferry won't sail, fingers crossed for settled seas.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Biggest worry for us in Jersey are the sea conditions thursday night, if its to rough the ferry won't sail, fingers crossed for settled seas.
Lets pray to the weather gods Steve and make sure you make it over :p

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Local forecast is 15 mph ssw, so looking ok at the moment Steve, if the worse comes to the worst we can get the old style ferry,takes 4 times as long to get there, but it cuts down on our fishing & beer time, thats not good mate.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Local forecast is 15 mph ssw, so looking ok at the moment Steve, if the worse comes to the worst we can get the old style ferry,takes 4 times as long to get there, but it cuts down on our fishing & beer time, thats not good mate.
Will still be plenty of time for everything Steve, trust me :wink:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hey Guys,

reading the doom and gloom regarding weather I thought I would take it upon myself to ensure good weather for the weekend.

I therefore proceeded out into my back garden and hour or so ago and called upon a dance I learnt when living in Canada for 6 months. The dance was taught to me by a native Canadian Indian friend. Now, problem is I couldn't remember if it was clock wise for rain or sun. Needless to say when I went into the garden an hour ago the sun was shining and I picked the washing. (Brownie points!) Oh dear, its now p*ssing down. I will reverse the dance as soon as the rain stops and hope!!

If it is a washout at the weekend just remember it was the weather man and not me!!! See you all there. It will be a blast no matter what.

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Steve

Weymouth weather forcast for Thursday evening: Westerly 10mph gusting 30mph. Visibility good, temp +15. I would think the fast cat will sail as I have seen it go in worse conditions.

PS: Bring some wet weather kit with you.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See you Friday.

Tuesday Morning UPDATE: Looking at the forcast for Thursday there still seems to be a window to get over Thursday evening before the wind strength increases over the weekend.

Regards

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
For those who cannot wait for the forcast here is the URL for the live wind data from Portland Harbour. the station is out on the Southern Harbour entrance at the Chequered Fort. http://www.weather-file.com/portland/ The data updates every ten minutes and displays the previous hours of the date you are looking at plus the individual days of the last two months.

Some of you may notice that the Harbour Authority also have a wind data feed & this can be found here: http://www.weather-file.com/portland2/ I think the internet connected anemometer is on top of the QHM's office within Portland Port.

Regards

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
For those still in weather watch mode, watch the following sites for forcast updates:

Met Office: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/weymouth_forecast_wind.html

Met Office Inshore Forcast: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/inshore_forecast.html#All NOTE: Selsey Bill to Lyme Regis is the section that affects Portland / Weymouth.

Live Portland Wind Data: http://www.weather-file.com/portland/

Latest Forcasts:

For those traveling from the Channel Islands Thursday evening:

Thursday Evening:
17 °C WNW 12 mph Very Good
Night
14 °C WNW 7 mph 18 mph Good

Friday:

Day
18 °C SW 16 mph 29 mph Good
Night
16 °C SSW 16 mph 26 mph Good

Saturday:

Day
18 °C SSW 16 mph Good
Night
14 °C NNW 10 mph Good

Sunday:

Day
21 °C N 8 mph 20 mph Very Good
Night
11 °C NW 9 mph Very Good

Last updated: 1800 on Wed 8 Sep 2010

The Higher wind speed is 'Gusting'

NOTE TO SELF: Still Bring wet weather gear, but dont expect to get soaked through !!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts